Wanted High End Leather Culling Ammo Belt For 500 Nitro

Racinjason

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hoping to find a culling belt for 500 nitro express. Im a size 34

Not sure how many cartridges you want to hold, but Murray Custom Leather makes a really nice one that holds 10. They call it a Cartridge belt and offer it in leather or elastic loops. Mine is for 300WM/375H&H/416RM and similar sized cases.
1652295103215.png

Hoping to find a culling belt for 500 nitro express. Im a size 34
Racinjason,

You indicated rhat you were looking for “High End” . Take a look at Westley Richards they offer, in my opinion the finest leather one can find.
they have size specific, based on cartridge case family’s, covered and uncovered cartridge holders and these are designed fit their 2” belts perfectly. They can also make anything you could want as well. I use a 10 round open top for softs along with a five round closed top for the solids so as to keep them separate. you mentioned a culling belt. I have seen some that were custom made that held as many as 25 cartridges depending on case size, there are two colors to choose from also. Mid tan and dark brown. I prefer the dark brown.

JP

Those really are nice. I wonder if anyone makes one that's canvas or similar...bit lighter, more flexible, and tolerant of water...

Those really are nice. I wonder if anyone makes one that's canvas or similar...bit lighter, more flexible, and tolerant of water...
I am sure that Westley Richards would have no problem making a canvas belt, their leather shop is is amazing.

If one is looking for a less Bespoke product, but still quality construction. I am assuming that you are seeking an actual “Culling” Belt because BeeMaa gave some excellent advice. Murray creates some excellent products. But for a Canvas Culling Belt the only one I know of is Trader Keith’s. They have a large selection as
Well, and quality. Jim at African Sporting Creations also carry’s a leather belt. Just in case you are looking for a more affordable one.

Take a look. Trader Keith’s
JP

FE764D48-79B4-4A1F-84B0-4E24CE350F6A.jpeg
6E881609-9239-409C-9561-40880CA8CEFB.jpeg
9B80DA2D-5343-4E39-A177-F1BF2B9A6940.gif
30BD81C7-E43E-4666-B64E-5F34A1491DFF.jpeg
47CE6048-7B2C-4315-A984-19AF4844FBFA.jpeg
039D77EA-93A6-4AA3-A9BE-378E4D63B684.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Racinjason,

You indicated rhat you were looking for “High End” . Take a look at Westley Richards they offer, in my opinion the finest leather one can find.
they have size specific, based on cartridge case family’s, covered and uncovered cartridge holders and these are designed fit their 2” belts perfectly. They can also make anything you could want as well. I use a 10 round open top for softs along with a five round closed top for the solids so as to keep them separate. you mentioned a culling belt. I have seen some that were custom made that held as many as 25 cartridges depending on case size, there are two colors to choose from also. Mid tan and dark brown. I prefer the dark brown.

JP
I have been looking hard at the Westley Richards haha I don't know how I feel about the bottoms being closed though.. it would be nice to have the open bottom to assist in extraction as you would then be able to press upward from the bottom if it was a bit tight.

Those are all good suggestions by the community and I have the Murray Leather with the elastic cartridge loops...for 10 years. I just got hung up on 34 waist and what I wouldn't give to fit back in my high-school jeans....

Not sure how many cartridges you want to hold, but Murray Custom Leather makes a really nice one that holds 10. They call it a Cartridge belt and offer it in leather or elastic loops. Mine is for 300WM/375H&H/416RM and similar sized cases.
View attachment 465879
Simply the best. After twenty or thirty years, it simply will be better.

Trader Keith, mine is 30 years old. Very comfortable easy to use (open bottom) does not stretch or shrink.

I have been looking hard at the Westley Richards haha I don't know how I feel about the bottoms being closed though.. it would be nice to have the open bottom to assist in extraction as you would then be able to press upward from the bottom if it was a bit tight.
Racinjason,

Just for conversations sake, I posted photos of my 2 cartridge belts, the bottom of the Westley Richards are not actually fully closed, they have slots on the bottom of each cartridge barrel, this gives just enough slack to push up as you put one’s finger on the cartridge next to it as leverage and nudge it free. But it does cover the tip of the bullet (see photo of bottom) which I really like and also allows for water or small debris to pass through. It does not offer the full open bottom though.
These are made for cartridge case family specific. I have never felt the need to push on the bottom though. I just twist a hair as I pull up from the top and it comes right out. Once the leather forms to the cartridge barrel it is smooth, that is my experience and I just like leather. As Redleg put it, it just gets better with age. I would also add that, I just like the patina that fine leather gains as it ages if cared for properly.
I also really like the concept of a modular approach. one can add or delete or change the combination on the number of open tops and covered tops as needed by having two of each for the same belt. Regardless of who makes them.
I suppose that a case could easily be made that it depends on the type of rifle one is using as well. I use a magazine rifle that holds five down 375. I can’t see a situation where I would need to reload after five rounds and not have a little time to get a cartridge out and top off. Plus in reality your PH will be with you as well.

Now, if we are talking about double rifles where you have but only 2 shots I could see, and one could argue, the almost mandatory benefit of a true open bottom and using the thumb-up technique. If the first two shots are not enough you had better be able to reload as fast as possible PH or not, and anything that could speed up the process is sound thinking and good for one confidence I would think.
Now remember, there are members here that have vastly more experience than myself. these are just my thoughts and in full disclosure I am a biased fan of Westley Richards leather products and their rifles.
Another thought is that I do not think that I would want to carry the weight of a true culling belt with 20-25 cartridges especially in 500NE
I can carry up to fifteen cartridges if need be, god help me if I had to use them all. Sometimes I even feel that fifteen might just be extra weight.
In closing, my opinion is that EVERYONE on this post, including a PH has given you just about ALL of the QUALITY options that are available, pretty much in stock. If you feel strongly and your own opinions are firm, the only other option I see left is to have a custom Bespoke piece made to your exact specifications and out of the exact material you wish. It can be done.

JP

My Westley cartridge belts 375

A60FE943-925D-4F4D-A278-9D93364B876E.jpeg
641320AD-2CDD-4859-9A4A-7A2C27F65083.jpeg
94629B53-EFBA-4F51-946B-2B9107197962.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to the moderator for for editing my photos so that they just show in full and not the little preview squares that one has to click on to see.

JP

Thank you to the moderator for for editing my photos so that they just show in full and not the little preview squares that one has to click on to see.

JP
Thank you so much for adding to this! I am glad to see the bottoms are not solid. You have helped me make up my mind haha. Absolutely beautiful.

I second Els and company but what are you culling? Elephant? Buffalo? Most culling operations are for meat and then head shots are used. I understand the 500ne for those but not much else. Besides I know that when I had a 500ne. I did not want to shoot it more than 10 times. Most times was 4-6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg