Wanted Good Used .470 Double Rifle

Likely more than your aforementioned budget;) So if you can get it for that, just be sure it is sound but buy it!

I see no rifles for sale on the Heym USA website. I would be shocked to find a 450NE Heym for sale In the $10-12k budget you specified. I was curious to see what type of unholy abomination in a heym could be sold that cheap.

Post a link.

Heym .450.jpg
Heym .450D.jpg
Heym .450C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Every little detail matters. Those pictures only tell us that it is a used gun. Is it a 450NE, or a 450-400 3”, or a 450-400 3-1/4”? That matters. Is it an extractor or ejector gun? What’s the length of pull and length of barrels? When was it made by Heym and what ammo was it regulated to shoot? Is that factory ammo still available for which it was originally regulated? Why are they selling it off? (Return/warranty?)

Every little detail matters. Those pictures only tell us that it is a used gun. Is it a 450NE, or a 450-400 3”, or a 450-400 3-1/4”? That matters. Is it an extractor or ejector gun? What’s the length of pull and length of barrels? When was it made by Heym and what ammo was it regulated to shoot? Is that factory ammo still available for which it was originally regulated? Why are they selling it off? (Return/warranty?)
All good questions - Rep told me .450 NE - I figured .450 NE 3.25", but I'll make sure to specify. For this price I am guessing it is a pretty bare bones model

Best places to look: Champlinarms.com and williamlarkinmoore.com. Champlin is in Oklahoma and Moore is in Phoenix and both usually have a few used doubles. Don't be hung up on getting a Heym. Read what the Champlin and Moore websites say about other brands before you make up your mind.
Folks on here are probably tired of hearing me say it, but Chapuis may be the best buy for the money. (and Champlin and JJ Perrodeaux agree).

Looking for a good used .470 NE double rifle. Would like to stick to Merkel, Krieghoff, or Heym - I am on a budget of 10-12k which I doubt will afford me any fancy engravings.
I bought a brand new Rizzini 479 NE with engraving g for $10,100 and absolutely love it. Each barrel shoots within one inch at 50 yards. I would not over pay for either gun you are looking for

So, what little I can tell from the photos, the rifle looks like a hardly used unadorned 88. The pins (screws) are not buggered. A little bluing wear at the action carry point. It is already grooved for a reflex sight. It is indeed a bare bones model, but a very fine rifle. They may well be able to dig up the original regulating load for you as well - particularly as a condition of sale.

You can buy with confidence from Chris Sells at Heym USA. He is reliable and trustworthy.

If you have limited knowledge of double rifles, I would recommend that you buy from a professional rather than a private individual (unless this individual is a well known credible AH member :) ).

The implied and explicit - if you make it part of the deal - warranty when buying from Chris Sells at Heym, or JJ Perodeau and George Caswell at Champlin Arms, or a few others nationwide, is well worth considering...

In addition to considering Merkel, Krieghoff, or Heym (I own a K Gun myself) I would suggest you also consider Chapuis and Verney Carron. They are every bit as good as the three German makers, and many would find them aesthetically more pleasing because more traditional looking.

I would also strongly suggest you give a long hard look at a Blaser S2 if you find one in this price range. Traditional they are not, but indestructible good shooters they are...

I agree with chashardy. You will search high and low for a better deal than a brand new Chapuis with lifetime warranty from Champlin Arms. Sure it is $900 more than the price you mention, but well worth the money.............

1611539714682.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.01 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 156
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.02 AM.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.04 AM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.05 AM.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.06 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Looking for a good used .470 NE double rifle. Would like to stick to Merkel, Krieghoff, or Heym - I am on a budget of 10-12k which I doubt will afford me any fancy engravings.
When I bought my K gun I looked at used and only found rifles with extractors not ejectors. It will take some time but you will find one. DSC’s monthly has classifieds that include some great rifles like you are looking for.

You can buy with confidence from Chris Sells at Heym USA. He is reliable and trustworthy.

If you have limited knowledge of double rifles, I would recommend that you buy from a professional rather than a private individual (unless this individual is a well known credible AH member :) ).

The implied and explicit - if you make it part of the deal - warranty when buying from Chris Sells at Heym, or JJ Perodeau and George Caswell at Champlin Arms, or a few others nationwide, is well worth considering...

In addition to considering Merkel, Krieghoff, or Heym (I own a K Gun myself) I would suggest you also consider Chapuis and Verney Carron. They are every bit as good as the three German makers, and many would find them aesthetically more pleasing because more traditional looking.

I would also strongly suggest you give a long hard look at a Blaser S2 if you find one in this price range. Traditional they are not, but indestructible good shooters they are...

I agree with chashardy. You will search high and low for a better deal than a brand new Chapuis with lifetime warranty from Champlin Arms. Sure it is $900 more than the price you mention, but well worth the money.............

View attachment 385595

I found a Heym .450 NE - anyone know what a used one is worth?

One thing to consider is that Hornady is the only one that makes ammo for the .450 NE. You also can't find brass anywhere if you reload.

.470 NE has more vendors supporting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg