Wanted Good Used .470 Double Rifle

Beck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Looking for a good used .470 NE double rifle. Would like to stick to Merkel, Krieghoff, or Heym - I am on a budget of 10-12k which I doubt will afford me any fancy engravings.

Beck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I found a Heym .450 NE - anyone know what a used one is worth?

ActionBob

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Likely more than your aforementioned budget;) So if you can get it for that, just be sure it is sound but buy it!

Beck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
thanks for the advice - it's in the Heym USA store so I would think it would be in decent condition

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I see no rifles for sale on the Heym USA website. I would be shocked to find a 450NE Heym for sale In the $10-12k budget you specified. I was curious to see what type of unholy abomination in a heym could be sold that cheap.

Post a link.

Beck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Heym .450.jpg
Heym .450D.jpg
Heym .450C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Beck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I emailed them - didn't find it on the website - I am new to doubles so if I am missing something please weigh in

Heym .450B.jpg
Heym .450A.jpg
Heym .450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Every little detail matters. Those pictures only tell us that it is a used gun. Is it a 450NE, or a 450-400 3”, or a 450-400 3-1/4”? That matters. Is it an extractor or ejector gun? What’s the length of pull and length of barrels? When was it made by Heym and what ammo was it regulated to shoot? Is that factory ammo still available for which it was originally regulated? Why are they selling it off? (Return/warranty?)

Beck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Every little detail matters. Those pictures only tell us that it is a used gun. Is it a 450NE, or a 450-400 3”, or a 450-400 3-1/4”? That matters. Is it an extractor or ejector gun? What’s the length of pull and length of barrels? When was it made by Heym and what ammo was it regulated to shoot? Is that factory ammo still available for which it was originally regulated? Why are they selling it off? (Return/warranty?)
All good questions - Rep told me .450 NE - I figured .450 NE 3.25", but I'll make sure to specify. For this price I am guessing it is a pretty bare bones model

chashardy

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Best places to look: Champlinarms.com and williamlarkinmoore.com. Champlin is in Oklahoma and Moore is in Phoenix and both usually have a few used doubles. Don't be hung up on getting a Heym. Read what the Champlin and Moore websites say about other brands before you make up your mind.
Folks on here are probably tired of hearing me say it, but Chapuis may be the best buy for the money. (and Champlin and JJ Perrodeaux agree).

Rare Breed

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Looking for a good used .470 NE double rifle. Would like to stick to Merkel, Krieghoff, or Heym - I am on a budget of 10-12k which I doubt will afford me any fancy engravings.
I bought a brand new Rizzini 479 NE with engraving g for $10,100 and absolutely love it. Each barrel shoots within one inch at 50 yards. I would not over pay for either gun you are looking for

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
So, what little I can tell from the photos, the rifle looks like a hardly used unadorned 88. The pins (screws) are not buggered. A little bluing wear at the action carry point. It is already grooved for a reflex sight. It is indeed a bare bones model, but a very fine rifle. They may well be able to dig up the original regulating load for you as well - particularly as a condition of sale.

One Day...

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.huntershillsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
Europe, America, Canada, Africa
You can buy with confidence from Chris Sells at Heym USA. He is reliable and trustworthy.

If you have limited knowledge of double rifles, I would recommend that you buy from a professional rather than a private individual (unless this individual is a well known credible AH member :) ).

The implied and explicit - if you make it part of the deal - warranty when buying from Chris Sells at Heym, or JJ Perodeau and George Caswell at Champlin Arms, or a few others nationwide, is well worth considering...

In addition to considering Merkel, Krieghoff, or Heym (I own a K Gun myself) I would suggest you also consider Chapuis and Verney Carron. They are every bit as good as the three German makers, and many would find them aesthetically more pleasing because more traditional looking.

I would also strongly suggest you give a long hard look at a Blaser S2 if you find one in this price range. Traditional they are not, but indestructible good shooters they are...

I agree with chashardy. You will search high and low for a better deal than a brand new Chapuis with lifetime warranty from Champlin Arms. Sure it is $900 more than the price you mention, but well worth the money.............

1611539714682.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.01 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.02 AM.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.04 AM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.05 AM.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.54.06 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
When I bought my K gun I looked at used and only found rifles with extractors not ejectors. It will take some time but you will find one. DSC’s monthly has classifieds that include some great rifles like you are looking for.

Beck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
You can buy with confidence from Chris Sells at Heym USA. He is reliable and trustworthy.

If you have limited knowledge of double rifles, I would recommend that you buy from a professional rather than a private individual (unless this individual is a well known credible AH member :) ).

The implied and explicit - if you make it part of the deal - warranty when buying from Chris Sells at Heym, or JJ Perodeau and George Caswell at Champlin Arms, or a few others nationwide, is well worth considering...

In addition to considering Merkel, Krieghoff, or Heym (I own a K Gun myself) I would suggest you also consider Chapuis and Verney Carron. They are every bit as good as the three German makers, and many would find them aesthetically more pleasing because more traditional looking.

I would also strongly suggest you give a long hard look at a Blaser S2 if you find one in this price range. Traditional they are not, but indestructible good shooters they are...

I agree with chashardy. You will search high and low for a better deal than a brand new Chapuis with lifetime warranty from Champlin Arms. Sure it is $900 more than the price you mention, but well worth the money.............

View attachment 385595

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I found a Heym .450 NE - anyone know what a used one is worth?

One thing to consider is that Hornady is the only one that makes ammo for the .450 NE. You also can't find brass anywhere if you reload.

.470 NE has more vendors supporting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marty95574

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh