Want to buy Safari Binos

Hunters bring two types of optics to Africa, binos and rifle scopes I would recommend spending a little less on your binos and a little more on your rifle scope. The most important binos on your safari belong to your PH, not you. Most of us can’t judge African game so the need for a highly detailed view of the animal is not required. A pair of $150 Bushnell’s let’s you say “Hey, the third one from the right looks big” your PH will let you know if he is a shooter or not. I’m not against top quality glass, I spent a lot of time at the SCI convention looking at expensive European Glass, but I just don’t think you need to spend $1200 plus on “African Binos”. The best piece of advice I can give anyone hunting Africa is “Stay close to your PH and follow his instructions” it’s hard to do those things on a stalk if you’re looking thru your binos.

As a side note I asked the outfitters I spoke with at the SCI convention “What brand of Bino do you use?” Over 90% of them had the same answer “Leica”. I can see a pair of Leica 8x32s in my future.

I have and use Swarovski and Leica binoculars with great satisfaction in Africa, Alaska & the American West .

I find myself using my Swaro 10x25 pocket binos more all the time. Especially on long walk and climbing hunts. For buffalo and elephant, do you really need ranging? And if the PH has ranging binos, which many now seem to. Why carry the extra weight. I'd rather have extra water....
One of the trackers always carries the water. Also, while you do not need the rangefinder capability for DG, if the hunt is being done right, there are opportunities for PG and other hunts. I just came back from a red stag hunt in Argentina where the shot I took was over 400 meters.

So far none of my PHs had a rangefinder BTW.

10x whatevers are big and get in the way a lot more than you may think.

I use 8x42 Leica if I had a choice they would be 8x32.....
That's why I went with the Geovid Pro 32, they are not big.

1683591264934.png

@Tanks I know you had a pair of 3200.com. how do these new ones compare?

@Tanks I know you had a pair of 3200.com. how do these new ones compare?
I never used the 3200.com so can't tell. I really, really like the new ones though. I can say they are much more compact and lighter.

You won't go wrong with Zeiss 8x40 or 10x40.

I got 8x40 and can see things others can't see with many 24x50's

Don't buy the cheap Leupolds. 'Gave my son a fine pr of Burris 10x42s-they are quite good for the $. Friend brought the Zeiss 10x42 Terra ($450) and they were of excellent quality for the money. Most friends have Swaros (they just buy 'em without looking at anything else.) 'Last time I bought binos, 'went to EuroOptic and brought the various 10x binos outside. 'Went with a demo pr of Blaser Primus binos (heavier, but of Superior quality-have no idea who makes 'em but of excellent German quality!!! ($900). By going to the store you can actually sift through the best ones for you (and take 'em outside-we were watching people set up for a picnic or party at a mountaintop hunting camp in the distance!) Purchase scopes the same way-it's an Optic-Go Look through them and the proof is in the pudding....let us know what you chose, if you haven't already. https://www.eurooptic.com/blaser-binoculars.aspx These were the finest binos at this magnification range in the store! A good deal of PHs carry 8x30s in Africa and I too think it's a great size for the distances and great deal of walking involved.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 4.16.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 4.16.45 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 4.16.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 4.16.49 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Most of my hunting is here in the rocky mtns of the United States. For that reason, I use 10x42 glass.
In Africa I use that same glass simply because I don’t go enough to buy 8x32’s just for Africa. My guess is most hunters are in the same boat.

Let me know, particularly the stieners. I have always been interested in those but never owned a pair.
I have the Steiner and very happy with them

Don't buy the cheap Leupolds. 'Gave my son a fine pr of Burris 10x42s-they are quite good for the $. Friend brought the Zeiss 10x42 Terra ($450) and they were of excellent quality for the money. Most friends have Swaros (they just buy 'em without looking at anything else.) 'Last time I bought binos, 'went to EuroOptic and brought the various 10x binos outside. 'Went with a demo pr of Blaser Primus binos (heavier, but of Superior quality-have no idea who makes 'em but of excellent German quality!!! ($900). By going to the store you can actually sift through the best ones for you (and take 'em outside-we were watching people set up for a picnic or party at a mountaintop hunting camp in the distance!) Purchase scopes the same way-it's an Optic-Go Look through them and the proof is in the pudding....let us know what you chose, if you haven't already. https://www.eurooptic.com/blaser-binoculars.aspx These were the finest binos at this magnification range in the store! A good deal of PHs carry 8x30s in Africa and I too think it's a great size for the distances and great deal of walking involved.
Blaser binos are made by German Sport Optics, now renamed Blaser Group Wetzlar, and Minox. They are both owned by the Blaser Group.

I have a NIB never opened or taken out the box Swarovski EL Range 10x42 in blaze orange that I wish to sell due to changing my DIY hunting style to Guided. $3750 shipped lower 48 CONUS insured. Listed elsewhere, private forum.
IMG_2956.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll keep those in mind. I want to see what all is out there before I make a choice on it.
I can also recommend Nikon Monarch 10x40 and also own Swarovski 10x40. Between the two there is very little difference in clarity even in low light....but there is a big difference in weight and the Nikons are much lighter - about 30% lighter. When I hunted Africa (Tanzania) I took the Nikon’s and left my Swarovski’s home - glad I did as we walked 10- 12 miles some days and the double rifle .470NE was heavy enough... Most hunts, when I know I’ll be walking - I take the Nikons. The Swarovski’s are fine binos and great glass but I use them for stand hunting or hunting from a Box blind. Other binos I own are Burris & Steiner - don’t like either, clarity is Not as good as the Nikon or Swarovski. I spent $2000+ for the Swarovski and I’m pleased with the optic quality, they are certainly top-of-the-line and are likely slightly clearer then the Nikons...but For $400 its tough to beat the Nikon Monarchs and they are easier to carry all day long. [although the cheaper Nikon model don’t seem to be as goodies the Monarchs]. That’s just my opinion based on my experience and preference.

I have a NIB never opened or taken out the box Swarovski EL Range 10x42 in blaze orange that I wish to sell due to changing my DIY hunting style to Guided. $3750 shipped lower 48 CONUS insured. Listed elsewhere, private forum.View attachment 532918
$1,250/post here. Good Luck!

$1,250/post here. Good Luck!
My bad…these are the newest “TA” tracking assistant versions & being sold for $3999 plus tax @ major retailers. Mine for sale are new, never handled & taxes already paid. Thank you.

Last edited:
@CamoManJ - Most items sold on AH being sold by an individual are done at a discount of some sort as a courtesy. You say that they are new and never been out of the box but the fact is that you are not an authorized dealer of optics. Because it’s a private sale, the price normally comes down. Plus, it’s not like you are required to give a refund if the item isn’t as described. The risk lies completely with the buyer.

That being said, I’m not asking you to drop your price. Merely pointing out that selling them will be more successful if you do. GLWTS.

@CamoManJ - Most items sold on AH being sold by an individual are done at a discount of some sort as a courtesy. You say that they are new and never been out of the box but the fact is that you are not an authorized dealer of optics. Because it’s a private sale, the price normally comes down. Plus, it’s not like you are required to give a refund if the item isn’t as described. The risk lies completely with the buyer.

That being said, I’m not asking you to drop your price. Merely pointing out that selling them will be more successful if you do. GLWTS.
I completely agree with you & will heed your advice and extend appropriate courtesy. I will consider reasonable offers…what is a reasonable price? Thank you.

*The 8x30ish compact binos also don't get in the way if DG hunting. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.