Want to buy Safari Binos

I know! Glassing out there is a whole different ball game. You're often looking at and judging animals MILES away!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 7.46.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 7.46.14 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 7.46.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 7.46.18 AM.png
    604.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 7.46.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 7.46.19 AM.png
    307.1 KB · Views: 37
I have a cheap pair of Nikon minis, they're 10x25 so a little too strong for dedicated up close hunting but I do agree with you very much on how handy a set like that is size wise. I am almost totally set on the Lieca 10x42 R rangefinding binos and the more I think about it, I was prepared to pay the price of the swaros and the leica are $1000 at least cheaper than the Swaroski. I'm thinking the proper course of action is to buy the leica rangefinding binos in 10x42 and then also get a pair of the mini binos is a 7x or 8x and then you are properly covered for whatever you want to use depending on the mission at hand.
I was under the impression you need binos for your upcoming Zim hunt....

I know! Glassing out there is a whole different ball game. You're often looking at and judging animals MILES away!

Yep, I spotted the buck I eventually took at just over a mile last year.

I was under the impression you need binos for your upcoming Zim hunt....
If I'm going to spend that kind of money I would like for them to cover as many different applications as possible, however it appears that the lower power binos are handy for the type of hunting I will be doing there. I want a built in rangefinder in whatever I get so it looks like 2 different sets are going to be the correct answer. Plus the wife can use one while I'm using the other

If everyone who gave their opinion on this thread donated a dollar you could order whatever you wanted. Kind of like go fund me.

There are only 2 distances in the bush close enough and too far....
8xwhatever is all you need(rangefinder available)... 10x you will regret....for birdwatching no rangefinder needed....

If everyone who gave their opinion on this thread donated a dollar you could order whatever you wanted. Kind of like go fund me.
No doubt! By all means PM me and I will provide a pay pal address :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: this is gonna end up being north of $2000 before it is all said and done! That is a lot of money for binos!

Sorry to chime in again but IMHO binos are as much of a major equipment investment as a superb scope or quality rifle, maybe even more so when you consider how much you will be looking though them vs that rifle scope.
Good glass beats power. A high quality 8x32 is very flexible. Buy once, cry once.

There are only 2 distances in the bush close enough and too far....
8xwhatever is all you need(rangefinder available)... 10x you will regret....for birdwatching no rangefinder needed....
I hunt in places where 10x is barely enough also. That's why I'm getting a 10x pair of rangefinders and a small set of lower powered ones for other applications

And you have 12x50 for that from post 1.....

If you plan on carrying the 10x42 in Zim each time you start stalking they will end up in the truck after day 2.....you probably made up your mind allready but a good 8x32 is much more practical and usefull for that application in Zim and rangefinders are honestly not needed for that type of hunting. Good luck whatever you choose.

If you plan on carrying the 10x42 in Zim each time you start stalking they will end up in the truck after day 2.....you probably made up your mind allready but a good 8x32 is much more practical and usefull for that application in Zim and rangefinders are honestly not needed for that type of hunting. Good luck whatever you choose.
That is literally what I'm doing. I want a built in rangefinder and I need the rangefinding binos to be 10x so I can use them for other stuff. That is why I am buying those and also a pair of 8x32 or something of that nature to use while I'm hunting in Zim. Of course I'll bring the 10x42 along to glass from the truck, or in camp, or whatever, but we have determined that 10x42 is not ideal for DG, which is why I am also purchasing a small set of 8x32 or 7x20 or some such pocket bino.

You’ll be covered until you start long range glassing in the west. At that point, life will not be complete without a pair of Swarovski 15x56’s!
If you're truck hunting or scouting, these are great out West. You log 10 miles in the hills out here and you'll wish you had 10x42 el's. Maybe check out an old pair of 8 or 10 power Swaro SLC's. They are heavier, but same excellent glass. Every fanboy wants the EL's, so you can usually find a bargain on the SLC's. Great safari binos if you aren't walking a ton. Also won't sting as bad as destroying $4k in optics.

Screenshot_20230512_151838_KSL Classifieds.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SLC 8x30 was my first major optics upgrade 15+ years ago. I still have them and love them as they have made for many good memories. A lot of the pros still use SLC glass.

For me, the range finding feature in a bino is a must have. Better to have and not need than the other way around. Any of the top manufactures make a unit that is damn good glass even if you don't need the rangefinder.
The original Leica Geovids that served me well for years now reside in Namibia. I upgraded to the Leica 10x42 3200's and they are as good as it gets, in my opinion. That being said, there are occasions where an 8x of smaller dimensions is a better option.

I have recently acquired a German Precision Optics 8x32 Rangeguide that is pictured in the middle between the Leica's for size reference. The GPO can be found priced around 1K +or-. I am only judging these GPO 8x32's on their merits as I see them thus far and nothing more than that. These GPO's punch above their weight class without a doubt.

thumbnail_20230512_174112.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good glass beats power. A high quality 8x32 is very flexible. Buy once, cry once.
Very true. I like 8’s for all around glassing & 10’s for ranging & identifying trophy quality, especially out West or long range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.