Want To Buy Primers & Powder

CJW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I realize this is probably in vain but you don't know until you ask. Is anyone willing or looking to get rid of primers or powder?

Powders I'm mainly looking for are IMR 8208, Varget, H335, H4895, RAM TAC and Benchmark. If you have any others that are good in 223, 30-06 or 458wm let me know.

Primers I'm looking for are small rifle through magnum. Maybe even pistol primers for 9mm, 45acp and 44 special.

PLEASE respond through Private Message.

Thanks

Shipping primers and powder is such a pain, its gonna be tough. These are hard times to be a reloader.

not if you were smart and stocked up when there was a good supply and cheaper prices

Well some of us aren't as intelligent as others. Some of us aren't as greedy as others either and sitting on multiple lifetimes worth of ammo, powders snd primers. Not saying you are but many others must be or else the only place to find primers wouldn't be on GB for $300/brick. God forbid you're brand new to reloading. You'll probably quit before you start.

Sorry. Just ranting.

I know a lot of people selling ammo, primers, and powder from their troves right now. They are making a fortune. One fellow I know bought ammo for $19 a box, full retail, 4 years ago and is now selling it on gunbroker where the auction has 2 days left and they are $168 per box at present. (20 box case prices...so he’s going to net thousands upon thousands)

This is not the time to get into reloading, its the time to sell.

When will the powder and ammo stocks be back and available? Do we think this will continue through the summer?
I wonder if ranges have reported a greater number of shooters shooting, or if it is all just people panic buying like the great toilet paper buyout??

When will the powder and ammo stocks be back and available? Do we think this will continue through the summer?
I wonder if ranges have reported a greater number of shooters shooting, or if it is all just people panic buying like the great toilet paper buyout??
This happens darn near every 4 years like clockwork folks. Based on the last time it was pretty bad, I'd guess it will be at least end of 2021 before prices come down. Will depend on demand, the manufactures/dealers wont lower prices until they start to have a surplus, I wouldnt

Another forum I'm on regularly posts where some powders and primers are in stock. My best advice is to go to at least 5 online sites and get some backorders set up so you get some when they come available.
I have had times in my life when I couldn't afford to buy extra. As finances improved I have stockpiled enough to get by for the most part. I expect it will be at least a year before availability is good once again.
Bruce

I was able to find cci 200 primers on the shelf yesterday, freshly stocked and moving fast. I bought a brick of 1000. I should be good for awhile.

The best way for a reloader to handle this is to set a minimum amount of whatever he is using to load rounds with.

I try to keep at the very minimum 2000 primers of each size for what I load, when I get below that I'll purchase another thousand. For powder, I learned that once I have a load developed to purchase it by the jug, what ever that jug holds be it 5, 8, or 10 lbs. When I get down to 1/2 in that jug I'll pick up another one. Bullets I'll buy them when I see them on sale. Most of my pistol bullets are bought in bulk of 500's.

Doing it this way I can self suffice for 8 years or 2 presidential terms if I limit shooting a little. At times I'll start to get a little low on one thing or another but items will usually come into stock at the stores that I shop at during those 8 years. I learned my lesson during the Clinton administration, and saw it again during the Obama one. But in neither of those administrations did the drought drag on much longer than a couple of years.

This year it was quite different. Once the riots and covid started folks started to buy up everything that they saw on the shelves. Then there are the ones that bought firearms for the first time along with some ammo. Some just bought a couple of boxes, others bought a few cases. It was a lot like TP.

I agree with JimP above. Keep a couple year's supply on hand if possible. That is an "inventory objective" or "minimum stockage level" in supply chain terms.

Trouble comes when one decides to buy a gun in a new caliber to them. Do they have primers, brass, powder, and bullets to load? If however one has a supply of other primers, brass, powder, and bullets on hand a trade might be possible.

I compete in Precision (Bullseye) Pistol. Although I have adequate supply of ammo and components on hand, I am making an effort to train via dry firing more than live firing. The top level shooters dry fire 100 times for every round shot down range. I am working on that.

Good luck to all finding what they need...

I compete in Precision (Bullseye) Pistol. Although I have adequate supply of ammo and components on hand, I am making an effort to train via dry firing more than live firing. The top level shooters dry fire 100 times for every round shot down range. I am working on that.

I know nothing about bullseye but I do this in 3 gun. I'm confident that if I choose to shoot big matches this year, I can still win national titles without live fire practice besides checking zero. Basically did that last year actually. Youd be shocked what good dry fire practice can do, especially considering the time savings of loading mags etc...and that's still true considering I can live fire in my back yard and the time investment isnt much. Intend to apply a lot of dry fire to my africa practice routine, but with more live fire due to recoil being a bigger factor in .375 or 300WM than 9mm and 223

Add to all of this, I agree that the panic buying won’t stop and supply chain catches up until 2022.

Best advice is don’t get silly chasing the esoteric. Focus on accumulation of a practical powder or two that is known-accurate in a lot of weapons. IMR4350 and Reloader 19 plus some 215m and 210m primers will reliably and accurately cover about 80% of the stuff owned on this forum.

I bought them for about $24 per thousand. I was too slow to pick up the small rifle primers. The store limited primer purchase to a single box of 1000 which allowed for more folks to get their fingers on some.

I don’t recall the last election resulting in such a severe shortage. This does make me feel better about keeping a significant stock on hand. But... the question is how much should I shoot not knowing the timing for consistent resupply. Thankfully the next few months are cold weather where family skiing takes over any range time.

I realize this is probably in vain but you don't know until you ask. Is anyone willing or looking to get rid of primers or powder?

Powders I'm mainly looking for are IMR 8208, Varget, H335, H4895, RAM TAC and Benchmark. If you have any others that are good in 223, 30-06 or 458wm let me know.

Primers I'm looking for are small rifle through magnum. Maybe even pistol primers for 9mm, 45acp and 44 special.

PLEASE respond through Private Message.

Thanks
My lgs has plenty of 8208, h335, and I think 1 lb of ram tac. I can pm their details to you possibly.

I don’t recall the last election resulting in such a severe shortage. This does make me feel better about keeping a significant stock on hand. But... the question is how much should I shoot not knowing the timing for consistent resupply. Thankfully the next few months are cold weather where family skiing takes over any range time.
The last election there wasn't a shortage because Trump was voted in. 8 years before that there was a huge shortage, that was worse than it is today. And that was when Obama was voted in. Then there was the shortage 16 years before that when Clinton was voted in.

Where are you located?

It is a 8hr online course and an exam to get certification for shipping hazardous/dangerous
Material through ups ground. Just ORMD WONT DO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg