Video worth a watch - Dumb Luck -

Odinsraven

Platinum supporter
AH elite
Joined
May 25, 2013
Messages
1,235
Reaction score
1,759
Location
Iceland
Media
11
Hunting reports
Africa
6
Member of
NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
Hunted
UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
 
Odensraven, do you know by chance what rifle she was using, and or what caused the jam? This gal is lucky to be alive.
 
That was about the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Stalking a buf with an unfamiliar rifle and an Unloaded chamber. And with a group of clients to boot. Call it dumb luck or something. As the old saying goes, God watches over kids and damn fools.
 
A few thoughts after watching that video.
1. I’m not sure the two trail guides really realize how close the lady came to get smashed, and that it would have been caused by their irresponsible actions and lack of preparation.
2. That mud covered buf around the 2:00 mark was pretty cool.
3. My future buffalo hunting plans may have ascended my list of priorities. I need to figure out how to fund a hunt sooner than later!
 
Last edited:
A perfect example of why I do not understand the African mindset of carrying a rifle without a round chambered while hunting. I will never understand that and I don't care if it's buffalo or Bambi. I've never been in the field with a rifle that didn't have a round chambered.
 
A perfect example of why I do not understand the African mindset of carrying a rifle without a round chambered while hunting. I will never understand that and I don't care if it's buffalo or Bambi. I've never been in the field with a rifle that didn't have a round chambered.
They are not hunting.......
 
Odensraven, do you know by chance what rifle she was using, and or what caused the jam? This gal is lucky to be alive.
I do not but - would assume that it was not mauser actioned - however will get my buddy to grab some stills off it - why did she not manually insert a round and slam it - Don Heath must be spinning in his grave !
 
A perfect example of why I do not understand the African mindset of carrying a rifle without a round chambered while hunting. I will never understand that and I don't care if it's buffalo or Bambi. I've never been in the field with a rifle that didn't have a round chambered.
I never carry a rifle loaded when on point or ready to close on the animal it is loaded - Having worked in Weapons Safety with Police and Military around the world - It is best not to carry a rifle loaded unless absolutely necessary In a similar situation to that I would carry it round in chamber and hammer down - the best compromise in my humble opinion - ease the bolt up and back down you are now live !
 
I never carry a rifle loaded when on point or ready to close on the animal it is loaded - Having worked in Weapons Safety with Police and Military around the world - It is best not to carry a rifle loaded unless absolutely necessary In a similar situation to that I would carry it round in chamber and hammer down - the best compromise in my humble opinion - ease the bolt up and back down you are now live !
Very bad idea to carry a hunting rifle like that a drop or not too severe bump on the butt it will fire. .
 
There are aspects to the video that make it look more like a re-enactment rather than the actual event. If that is true then some of our conclusions may not be accurate. The rifle in the video appears to be a CZ 550. I suspect the feeding issue was more due to the action being cycled too hesitantly. Bad move with an unfamiliar rifle. The guide appears to be a trail guide who takes tourists on wildlife viewing hikes, and not a PH. An unanswered question is, had the rifle fed properly, would the guide have had the skill and composure to place the shot effectively? All in all, lucky to survive.
 
I've had a round in the tube every time I've stepped out of the truck to hunt. I've never seen an accidental discharge unless someone takes the safety off and hits the trigger, more like negligent discharge. But, I hunt alone so I might be running around with an unloaded gun while I'm in Africa. I'm cool with whatever the ph says on that. That video and story was kinda weird, not sure if they were hunting buff or just out fuckin around where buff are known to hang out. I really like the footage of the buff covered in mud, he looked cool as hell.
 
That video and story was kinda weird, not sure if they were hunting buff or just out fuckin around where buff are known to hang out. I really like the footage of the buff covered in mud, he looked cool as hell.
I think they were walking to the river to swim with crocodiles and take selfies.
 
Rifle is a BRNO, the vid is an obvious reenactment, even says so a couple of times and even if it didnt, the "buff eye" views of the group should be clue enuf. Pretty lame all in all.
 
It looks to be a CZ 550 (BRNO). They are sturdy and reasonably priced but to make them reliable in larger calibers the trigger, safety and bolt need work.
 
I never carry a rifle loaded when on point or ready to close on the animal it is loaded - Having worked in Weapons Safety with Police and Military around the world - It is best not to carry a rifle loaded unless absolutely necessary In a similar situation to that I would carry it round in chamber and hammer down - the best compromise in my humble opinion - ease the bolt up and back down you are now live !
You may work in weapons safety but having a firing pin resting on a primer is an AD begging to happen. I know no one who does that. And if I am hunting anything that can fight back, the chamber is loaded and the rifle is on safe or uncocked (R8, S2, K-gun, etc).

Frankly, I have yet to hunt anywhere on the planet where my guide or PH expected me to carry an unloaded rifle. In the rack on the truck - absolutely. In my hands? Not yet.
 
Last edited:
There are aspects to the video that make it look more like a re-enactment rather than the actual event. If that is true then some of our conclusions may not be accurate. The rifle in the video appears to be a CZ 550. I suspect the feeding issue was more due to the action being cycled too hesitantly. Bad move with an unfamiliar rifle. The guide appears to be a trail guide who takes tourists on wildlife viewing hikes, and not a PH. An unanswered question is, had the rifle fed properly, would the guide have had the skill and composure to place the shot effectively? All in all, lucky to survive.
Someone didn’t think it was a re-inactment?1? :rolleyes::unsure:
 
If you don’t carry your rifle with a bullet in the barrel then You might as well just put all your bullets in your pocket and carry with open bolt.
+1 EVERYTIME, especially when in the woods/bush with things that can kill you.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,573,983
Members
169,880
Latest member
LunaXофициальныйсайт
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top