Video worth a watch - Dumb Luck -

I was thinking it was kinda common for PHs to have clients carry an empty chamber but have the magazine loaded so one would just need to work the action to be ready. Am I mistaken? (obviously I'm referring to plains game hunting , nothing big and dangerous)

I was thinking it was kinda common for PHs to have clients carry an empty chamber but have the magazine loaded so one would just need to work the action to be ready. Am I mistaken? (obviously I'm referring to plains game hunting , nothing big and dangerous)
She isn’t a PH. Moreover, she wasn’t trained as one. She is an armed quide for eco-tourists at some national park. They might wish to review their training standards. At least the buffalo would likely have been satisfied killing her without moving on to the paying tourists.

1640828999384.png

I am going to take a wild guess and assume that "dramatisering" means dramatisation, i.e. re-enactment :E Rofl:

1640829119957.png

Ahemmmmmm.......................... :unsure:

1640829185884.png

Yep, you can say that :LOL:

She isn’t a PH. Moreover, she wasn’t trained as one. She is an armed quide for eco-tourists at some national park. They might wish to review their training standards. At least the buffalo would likely have been satisfied killing her without moving on to the paying tourists.
Amen!

1640829664857.png

Yes, it is a Brno ZKK 602 / CZ 550 recognizable by the dovetail on the double square bridge, but please whomever usual CZ 550 basher sees this, THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS in this video, please do not patronize us on it being a proof that the Brno 602 / CZ 550 is an unreliable DG rifle :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah I agree. I didn't think she was a PH , I just thought it was kinda common to have clients on plains game hunts to quietly chamber a round when getting ready to shoot. Probably to make a PH a little more comfortable with some stranger walking behind him with a rifle. I've seen some videos that showed that anyway.

That was plainly a reenactment. If that was real she wouldn't be alive to tell the tale. A buf at arm's length at full speed is not going to miss. The way she was fumbling the round trying to get back in the mag while pushing the bolt wasn't going to work. And afterward, the way she shouldered the rifle you could tell she wasn't very familiar with firearms, and pointing it right at the camera. I cringed and thought of Alec Baldwin pointing a gun at someone. All guns are to be considered loaded at all times.

View attachment 444221
I am going to take a wild guess and assume that "dramatisering" means dramatisation, i.e. re-enactment :E Rofl:

View attachment 444222
Ahemmmmmm.......................... :unsure:

View attachment 444223
Yep, you can say that :LOL:

Amen!

View attachment 444227
Yes, it is a Brno ZKK 602 / CZ 550 recognizable by the dovetail on the double square bridge, but please whomever usual CZ 550 basher sees this, THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS in this video, please do not patronize us on it being a proof that the Brno 602 / CZ 550 is an unreliable DG rifle :rolleyes:
But it is a 550 ........ :E Angel: :E Angel:

I've never been in the field with a rifle that didn't have a round chambered.

although i understand the sentiment, when i am guiding brown bears, the hunter has an empty chamber. he can cycle one in, in a second or two and i will not end up with a 375 bullet through me. safety first, trophy second. usually, when we are in the final phase of a stalk, i will have the hunter open the bolt half way, slide in a round (more rounds in the mag well) and chamber it.

an empty chamber in the rifle has never cost me a bear....yet.

although i understand the sentiment, when i am guiding brown bears, the hunter has an empty chamber. he can cycle one in, in a second or two and i will not end up with a 375 bullet through me. safety first, trophy second. usually, when we are in the final phase of a stalk, i will have the hunter open the bolt half way, slide in a round (more rounds in the mag well) and chamber it.

an empty chamber in the rifle has never cost me a bear....yet.
Yet. But there is always a first time for everything. Short stroking the bolt, double feed, round not feeding and giving you an empty chamber, long round that won't chamber, etc. Add to that the adrenalin rush, unfamiliarity of big game hunting, fatigue, cold, heat and whatever else that goes with hunting dg wherever.

I am a firm believer in safety but I am a more firm believer in being prepared. As soon as I step out of the bakke or cut a fresh track a round goes in the chamber and the muzzle goes in a 90 degree angle to the side of whoever is in front of me. It goes forward only when the PH or guide sets the sticks and calls me up.

I've hunted dangerous game with a PH who instructed me to follow him, unloaded, into the jesse. I was uncomfortable but I kept my damn mouth shut. It was our first hunt together as I had only met him late the night before. On day two, I was rewarded with exactly what he was paid to find. My thoughts: after hunting with him many more days, I suspect next year he will allow me to load up immediately. I suppose the reason I may or may not still be sore about this is because I felt he failed to recognize any prowess I might have upon first meeting me; however, in retrospect, I can understand his sentiments as I find myself declining invitations to dove hunts where youths or unknown hunters are likely to be. The older I get, the more scared of others' guns I become.

I am a firm believer in safety but I am a more firm believer in being prepared. As soon as I step out of the bakke or cut a fresh track a round goes in the chamber and the muzzle goes in a 90 degree angle to the side of whoever is in front of me.
Newboomer,

when i am guiding and a hunter is with me, he is behind me almost all the time when hiking, getting off the boat and skiff. I usually don't know them. i am in front and MY gun has an empty chamber, unless we are going into a tight spot in the alders, when clear of that space i empty my chamber in front of the client.

i believe in being prepared, and am. that said, i offer my hunter the freedom to check my rifle at any time for bullets in the chamber. i don't want him feeling that i am treating him differently than i carry my own gun. if we have a encounter with a sow or bear at close range, i have the hunter chamber a round and move along side me.

those are the rules, we have had a couple guys that did not like it at first, but they came around. this is not a way to make clients feel stupid, or unarmed. this is a very real safety issue. i had a hunter damn near put a 338 win bullet in me when we had a bull moose running off, he missed me. so, you might be the safest guy in the world, with the best muzzle discipline, but you are still behind me with a loaded 375. maybe if the roles were reversed you would feel different, but maybe not. having a stranger with a loaded bear rifle behind you all day (and some hunters fiddle with their rifles, safeties all day) makes me....careful.

@Scott CWO guides bears, maybe his outfit has different rules.

as far as the woman with the rifle goes, she went out to PROTECT people with a rifle that she was not familiar with and obviously mis-ran it. hmmmmm, problem was not the gun it was the operator (of course the gun could have had issues, but if it was HER rifle, it would not have had issues.) I'm not sure which life lesson she learned, maybe have a gun that works, EVERY TIME!!

It is very highly unlikely that you will be totally surprised by a DG situation and not have time to chamber a round. It is unlikely, but still possible that a loaded rifle will go off for any of a large number of reasons and there is a list of injuries and deaths to prove it. So why even take the chance of walking all those blank miles with a chambered round? You cant be fully focused all the time. You will know when you need to be loaded and locked and when not. They are called accidents because nobody meant for the gun to fire, but there are many AD's every year - and people die.

Obviously a reenactment as stated. Either that or the camera man has the biggest set of testes in the world. he would need a wheelbarrow to lug them around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinPr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!