Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA - Big Bore Association of South Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden

A good example of what we get up to on our Big Bore shooting days and what the ranges is like.
May being hunting season we only had 67 participants. The ranges are almost never the same excpet for the CHASA buffalo range which is a range that is being shot by other associations throughout the year with a national ranking scoring.

Next shoot is 19 August as a lot of members will be hunting during the eason we have 6 shoots over the course of the year. Then also have the big gun shop Safari & Outdoor hosting a DGS shoot or two during the year. Competing in all the events gets you through about 200 rounds of big bore per year which is good fun and practise of course.

Thanks Frederik, was a great shoot!

@GuttormG yes, they do factor your power factor in, You need to declare bullet weight and then shoot a shot over the Labradar. Then they re-work it again to level the playing field a bit to give everyone a fair chance.

In short, shoot the biggest gun you can, as fast as you can and as accurate as you can! And even a 375 can win! All scores except for CHASA is hit or miss. Scoring zones are about the size of a coke can's bottom.

Nice video! Well done!
I need to get off my @ss and participate one of these days... in my defence, I was at a shooting range on Sunday. :giggle:

A good example of what we get up to on our Big Bore shooting days and what the ranges is like.
May being hunting season we only had 67 participants. The ranges are almost never the same excpet for the CHASA buffalo range which is a range that is being shot by other associations throughout the year with a national ranking scoring.

Next shoot is 19 August as a lot of members will be hunting during the eason we have 6 shoots over the course of the year. Then also have the big gun shop Safari & Outdoor hosting a DGS shoot or two during the year. Competing in all the events gets you through about 200 rounds of big bore per year which is good fun and practise of course.
Good stuff! Is that the Guns@Work range? I went there to sight in before my safari in 2022.

Nice set up, those moving targets look fun.
19 August is our next shoot try and join us.
I'm sure between the few of us here on AH and other BASA members we can get you a rifle to shoot for the day.

BTW the Pith Helmet will be a prerequisite I think DWB also owns one.

Nice video! Well done!
I need to get off my @ss and participate one of these days... in my defence, I was at a shooting range on Sunday. :giggle:
Would be nice to see you there otherwise see you in Hluhluwe next month??

19 August is our next shoot try and join us.
I'm sure between the few of us here on AH and other BASA members we can get you a rifle to shoot for the day.

BTW the Pith Helmet will be a prerequisite I think DWB also owns one.
I will try.

Man that looks like fun and that's a beautiful range! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice! This is like IPSC but shooting big bores. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Man that looks like fun and that's a beautiful range! Thanks for sharing.

The range setup is never the same sometimes the same targets we have a bunch of different DG targets even a few non DG like wildebeest, steenbuck and hyena.

Some more info.

Accumulative Scores (Yearly total)

We take the best Hits and Time on each shoot and set that as the 100% score (calculated best possible performance) to get a true reflection of the toughness of the course and competition on the day. We then compare the scores achieved by members and give them a % based on how close they got to the 100%

The best 4 Shoots out of the 6 per member count towards the yearly awards (Participation in at least 4 shoots is necessary to qualify)

So maximum score of 400 can be given to the Top Gun of the year if he should win 4 shoots during the course of the year out of the 6 shoots.

On the day of the shoots:
  • Top Gun of the Day Trophy
  • Top 3 shots
  • Winners of each range shot on day
  • Top Double
  • Top Veteran (65 and over)
  • Top Female
  • Top Junior (up to 18 years of age, male and female)
Annual Prizes and Awards (members only, must compete in at least 4 shoots during the year)
  • Top Gun of the year
  • Top 10 of the year
  • Top Veteran (65 and over)
  • Top Female
  • Top Junior Boy (up to 18 years)
  • Top Junior Girl (up to 18 years)
  • Most improved shot over the year
  • Top .375 shot of the year
Juniors become seniors the year they become 19 years old.

It is a lot of fun and very good practise you have pressure to perform under time and helps to get yourself and gear together plus with different scenarios get your mind ready for DG hunting.

I will try from now on to post a video after every shoot if possible and I am able to film it.

Thanks Frederik! Yes it was a lot of fun.

To add to Frederik for others:

1. You can shoot more than 1 rifle a day. To comply for the competition you have to use a 9.3 and higher. Some shoot the range twice, or do all the ranges and for fun do a range or 2 with another rifle

2. You can come and shoot any caliber (for competition again, only 9.3 and above counts)

3. If you do not want to compete and shoot the range at your pace and your liking, your rifles etc this is all allowed (off course we need to consider safety, other participants etc.)

4. The idea is to test your rifle, your skills, shooting scenario's etc, but most of all to enjoy it!

Here is a write-up of the day.

Frederik, we should go and setup a BASA day for our friends across the pond in Texas or somewhere...

Attachments

• BASA 20 May 2023 - Results and stats.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
Thank you Stephen for the great info in your write up for the day in PDF.

Yes would be great to do a range setup like that in the USA.
As long as its not cold!!!!

BTW, @saswart is actually our BASA Vice Charmain.

Great shooting all around! And well done in the ranking :)

One day i'll make sure to be there to participate !

Thanks Frederik! Yes it was a lot of fun.

To add to Frederik for others:

1. You can shoot more than 1 rifle a day. To comply for the competition you have to use a 9.3 and higher. Some shoot the range twice, or do all the ranges and for fun do a range or 2 with another rifle

2. You can come and shoot any caliber (for competition again, only 9.3 and above counts)

3. If you do not want to compete and shoot the range at your pace and your liking, your rifles etc this is all allowed (off course we need to consider safety, other participants etc.)

4. The idea is to test your rifle, your skills, shooting scenario's etc, but most of all to enjoy it!

Here is a write-up of the day.

Frederik, we should go and setup a BASA day for our friends across the pond in Texas or somewhere...
If that is the case I might shoot again......

Was always of the opinion that shooters should be able to choose which rifle to use for which species...

Choosing your weapons is another.....if you use a bolt that holds 4 vs a double with 2 that is your choice....never believed in the 2 only restriction for a bolt....also not when and how many to load....top up as you go as it is done in the field.

Speed sacrificing accuracy is also a dangerous ploy....a dead elephant in a charge situation is the one with 1 hole in the brain not 3 all over.

The shoots are a lot of fun for sure.

Would be nice to see you there again.

Many years ago I ran a simulated small game shoot. Similar conceptof score divided by time, except: Shots in the kill zone scored 5 points, shots that missed entirely were zero, shots which hit the "animal" but in a non-critical area scored minus10 points. Yes, many shooters ended up with a negative score, but it stressed the discipline that a wounded animal was much worse than a clean miss.

What is the reasoning around starting from an unloaded rifle? Does anyone hunt dangerous game with an unloaded rifle? Seems counterproductive and avoids reinforcing the disengagement of the safety as part of the firing sequence. Apart from that minor quibble, what a great shoot, congratulations to all.

What is the reasoning around starting from an unloaded rifle? Does anyone hunt dangerous game with an unloaded rifle? Seems counterproductive and avoids reinforcing the disengagement of the safety as part of the firing sequence.
Practising to load fast under pressure.
The mighty "CLICK" have been known to be heard on the range better there than facing down a charge.

G'day Frederik

Fully agree on the need to include a fast reload during a percentage of matches. A skill that needs to be instinctive. My question is about starting from the unloaded.

I have similar reservations about too many of our matches that start with a loaded rifle but with the safety off. IMHO we need to have our matches start from a standard field carry ie either safety applied or bolt up. If people practice starting from loaded but safety off, this is what the 'muscle memory' will perform when a dangerous situation occurs ie repeat the most practised behaviour. I can easily envision someone throwing the rifle to the shoulder and pulling the trigger only to have nothing happen because the safety is still applied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois