Using J. Sipp to make 3 Blaser barrels and a suppressor….

I have a Dakota .416 Rigby and that's good enough. I do like the .416 though and there's nothing wrong with a 416 Rem R8. I will get one at some point.

I was just watching a video about the R8 338 Lapua, which has similar cartridge length and diameter as the 416 Rigby. They had to use a different trigger/magazine group that is specific to that cartridge. The magazine holds two rounds. That may be how they made the Rigby work as well. But it seemed to work well with the 338 Lapua cartridge, so maybe there's hope for those who want an R8 in 416 Rigby after all.
I’ve got the r8 338 lapua and it works great, only downsides are you do need specific bolt and magazine. And the 2+1 capacities

In 2021 i paid them for 2 barrels took them 1 year to fianlly send me the barrels
once i tired them both were not head spaced correctly and showed case seperation
on both the 375 wby and 340 wby i did check them with no go gaged and off corse
i was able to close the bolt also the barrels were also difficult to tighten them with the wrench thus also
the tolerance to the reciever was of.
took me several call and email no anwser finally made contact with them and was asked to returned them
i did early feb 2023 guess what now im out of my barrels and money and have called them dozen times to anwser
and emailed no response Im frustated with them all i want my money back and please please do not ask them for any work
you will be sorry .

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2021 i paid them for 2 barrels took them 1 year to fianlly send me the barrels
once i tired them both were not head spaced correctly and showed case seperation
on both the 375 wby and 340 wby i did check them with no go gaged and off corse
i was able to close the bolt also the barrels were also difficult to tighten them with the wrench thus also
the tolerance to the reciever was of.
took me several call and email no anwser finally made contact with them and was asked to returned them
i did early feb 2023 guess what now im out of my barrels and money and have called them dozen times to anwser
and emailed no response Im frustated with them all i want my money back and please please do not ask them for any work
you will be sorry .
It's repeated stories like this that make me wonder why people still trust this guy's work and business practices.

My barrels were shipped. 5 weeks. I’ll post pics when they arrive.

Suppressor is finished but has to do some atf stuff. He has already contacted my ffl for transfer.
hello! Have you received your barrels, and if so, how do they shoot/function?

They finally arrived. Took right at two months.

4 barrels came in today. He made a 6.5PRC and 375Ruger for me. Both 20.5 inches and threaded. He also added rails to both for 125 dollars, a good bit cheaper than the Blaser mounts.

I had him cut two Blaser barrels down to 20.5 inches and thread. A 338Lapua and a 30/06. Both already had rails I had placed.

3 of the 4 barrels are semi weight, and the 30/06 is standard.

1. They came wrapped well and were greased. I had not wiped them down for pics.

2. All were mounted in receiver and had ammo cycled. All cycled well and closed without issue. No misalignment.

3. I had asked him to cerakote the new ones, but they came nitrided. No big deal.

4. He said the 416ruger he made didn’t do well at the range session, so he scrapped it and is cutting a new one. I haven’t received it yet.

5. He finished the 416 over the barrel suppressor and it is shipped to my ffl. I have not seen it yet.

He could be a bit spotty in returning emails and phone calls, but always did follow up with calls and emails after a couple of days.

Overall, I got 3 barrels, semiweight, fluted, threaded, length I want, and a 416 suppressor for price of 2 Blaser semi weight barrels that would not be custom length or threaded. And 2 cartridges Blaser does not make.

I’ll give a range report once I have shot them. Overall I would give the process a 9.5/10.

IMG_2514.jpeg
IMG_2518.jpeg
IMG_2515.jpeg
IMG_2521.jpeg
IMG_2520.jpeg
IMG_2522.jpeg

I put the LOP spacers on the Jaeger on bottom and did a terrible job! Don’t judge me. Haha. I’ll get my gunsmith to make it look better at some point.

Last edited:
It's repeated stories like this that make me wonder why people still trust this guy's work and business practices.
Well. I had a totally different experience. Phillip Glass on here had a good experience too.

I wanted this to work for you - but my experience was over a year long with little to no communication. Glad you got yours, hope they shoot well also!! It shows that things CAN work if they try.

I had him make a .458 Lott Safari profile barrel for my Blaser Safari stock with a KickStop. It has a sling stud in a barrel band, banded hooded fiber optic front sight and adjustable single leaf rear sight. Had my jeweler add a white gold inlay to the vertical line on the rear sight which helped my then 76 year old eyes pick up the sights so much better. Enjoyed working with him and received the barrel in just over three weeks. Mounted a Leupold 1-5 24mm scope with a CDS Dial, zeroed and sighted at 50 yards and got excellent just-under-1-MOA groups out to 200 yds from the bench with bags. Went to Zimbabwe that year for Cape Buffalo and my PH was so taken by the rifle that he tried to swap a Plains Game hunt with observer (my wife has joined me on my last 6 safaris) for the rifle. I finally agreed this year as I prefer the nostalgia of my Krieghoff.470 NE for DG. Still have my standard weight Professional Blaser and several barrels for PG and for hunting in US. He even allowed me to chose the serial number for the barrel. 10011945. My birthday. I would certainly use J Sip & Son again.

What stock is this? Did you have to transplant your R8 Professional receiver in to it?
No. GRS is European company that makes Blaser stocks. This one was a collaboration with Blaser and GRS for 338 lapua. I have two bolt housings, and 4 bolts and all can be swapped into it.

Attachments

• GRS for Blaser.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
No. GRS is European company that makes Blaser stocks. This one was a collaboration with Blaser and GRS for 338 lapua. I have two bolt housings, and 4 bolts and all can be swapped into it.

I've seen the GRS stocks at Euro Optic. High quality stuff.

Thanks. Looking at current products for US it seems only to be available as stock that you need to transplant your R8 receiver in to. Looks like a great setup but I'm not trusting my skills that much to do the transplant.

Glad your barrels turned out well. I still need to check back with him since my 7 PRC is still a bit tight on closing and not as smooth to lock up as my factory barrels.

Thanks. Looking at current products for US it seems only to be available as stock that you need to transplant your R8 receiver in to. Looks like a great setup but I'm not trusting my skills that much to do the transplant.

Glad your barrels turned out well. I still need to check back with him since my 7 PRC is still a bit tight on closing and not as smooth to lock up as my factory barrels.
Hmmm. I’m not sure that is true unless there is something I’m missing. These are endorsed by Blaser, mine even has Blaser etched into the stock. It is a drop on stock just like if your bought a professional or ultimate.

What model is yours called? I am wondering if they still make them today including the receiver in the stock.

Looking at their site I see the GRS Sporter stocks that note the inlet type for R8 Professions. They also call out that for the R8 that glass bedding is required. That and with those stocks costing under $800, it doesn't seem they'd come with the receiver.

What model is yours called? I am wondering if they still make them today including the receiver in the stock.

Looking at their site I see the GRS Sporter stocks that note the inlet type for R8 Professions. They also call out that for the R8 that glass bedding is required. That and with those stocks costing under $800, it doesn't seem they'd come with the receiver.
Mine was sold by Blaser so maybe you are right. I’m pretty sure it is the sporter.

Attachments

• Blaser Offers .338 Lapua Option in R8 Long Range - Gun Digest.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 37
Maybe we are talking about different things. It def doesn’t come with the bolt housing, bolt, or trigger group. R8 don’t have a receiver per se. But mine you can drop in the aforementioned parts and make a fill rifle, similars to any other Blaser stock you would buy.

I bet you have to install you're own receiver. The receiver block probably has to be bedded into the stock. You and I both know, Blaser isn't about to sell anything that cheap. Lol!

Mine was sold by Blaser so maybe you are right. I’m pretty sure it is the sporter.

Now it all makes sense. I had seen that item listed in places as discontinued so it looks to no longer be available in the US. SO, today, you can get a stock and transplant Blaser receiver/trigger unit to it, but can't get a new on including the receiver/trigger. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.