USA: Texas Hunting Done Right!! At The Rockin G Ranch

Carrie

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Had such a great time as always at the Rockin G Ranch in Turkey!!! If y’all don’t know I help out a little down there on occasion but I also love to hunt there myself and take my boys!!! This past weekend I took my older son Jayden who happens to have Down syndrome. @gizmo Erik drove us around the high fence area the first evening there so Jayden could look at his options of what he was going to hunt. He instantly picked out the amazing Scimitar Oryx!!! So he was up at the ass crack of the morning 5:00 AM!!!! Eagerly awaiting for Erik at his bedroom door!!! Lol we left out shortly after and began our chase!!! And a chase it was!!! Every time we got close enough to see them they took off!!! And if y’all have ever been to the Rockin G you know the country is not the easiest to walk around in. Erik led us up and down the steep canyons for what seemed to my 220 lb son for miles in the 95* heat!!! We decided to give them a break and get back on them after lunch and so we did after lunch another few miles in the scorching Texas heat!!! Jayden being a large fella and not too quick to move around was nearly about to give up!!! I never have been one to let him quit at ANYTHING!!!! But I sped up next to Erik and talked to him about getting him to pick a different animal, because I just didn’t think he could keep going!!! Well that didn’t work his mind was set on the big Oryx!!! So we kept going and decided to have Erik take Jayden and set up in an area they would run by and I’d drive around the other way so they would think we were over there, and all of a sudden I hear the boom!!!! My heart sank because I’ve never not been there when my son shot an animal. Then I could see the Oryx in the distance and I saw the big guy stumbling around and then I hear a second shot and see him go down so I hauled ass over to them and see them running over to him to make sure he was out!!!! I was so happy I was bawling!!!! He set his mind to it and was not going to give up!!!! The shot placement was absolutely perfect!!!! I can’t thank Erik enough for the patience and love he put into this hunt!!!!!!

63A121B6-64B2-4E80-A5A2-3F79DA840386.jpeg
5BF3F704-265E-48A9-B948-3833B9E6EA1E.jpeg
C12D57BA-EA73-4D68-B349-6AF31B2917B8.jpeg
98E4AF73-5E00-44AC-923B-72221C255F66.jpeg
3EBC2524-C2A5-4CB3-A01C-D1F54770E98A.jpeg
786A12A9-0ACB-443A-8493-3500DFB02410.jpeg
B721BA43-F405-4DC7-A1FF-77A66853F317.jpeg
2AA62FC5-D4EA-4DAB-BC2A-6A0431AF185D.jpeg
4EFED73C-A7A8-462E-9565-734B6C000B75.jpeg
7E443E85-9C84-4CAA-A3D9-592817ACC8DE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Carrie thank you so much! We love ya'll and it is always special to get the opportunity to hunt with ya'll. J-man did so good and you are right, his shot placement was absolutely perfect!

Nicely done. Congrats on a great hunt with your son. I'll bet he remembers it his whole life.
Bruce

Love it @Carrie that’s great stuff!!!! I can certainly appreciate this, having a son with Autism. I am very familiar with that place & how unforgiving those canyons can be & how those giant white scimitars can literally vanish for days not to be seen of again. It’s remarkable. I’m very proud of you & your son. Congratulations!

Take care,

BWH

Love it @Carrie that’s great stuff!!!! I can certainly appreciate this, having a son with Autism. I am very familiar with that place & how unforgiving those canyons can be & how those giant white scimitars can literally vanish for days not to be seen of again. It’s remarkable. I’m very proud of you & your son. Congratulations!

Take care,

BWH

@BWH thank you!!!!!!

Congrats to all, well done

There's a whole lot of awesome in this thread..

just sayin...

There's a whole lot of awesome in this thread..

just sayin...

Yes indeed. Good stuff! . Made me smile, especially with the crazy things going on in our country the past few months.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congrats Carrie, Jayden, and Erik. And nicely done;)

I know Jayden has gotten a bunch of critters allready so no big surprise he has succeeded again. But the amazing thing is that Erik got up near anything resembling any kind of dawn, ass crack or otherwise:)

And great photos but the real keeper is the one with Erik either becoming a fish whisperer or about to show that fish some lovin... The look on Jayden's face is priceless;)

@ActionBob!!!!! I have to agree with you!!! I nearly fell over when he said we were leaving at 5:30!!!! Lol and yes @gizmo has definitely become the fish whisperer!!!
No kidding! When I was there the last morning I got up around 7am and stepped on a wasp that was in the carpet in my bedroom and got stung right in the middle of the bottom of my foot. With all my swearing and groaning in pain and the noise of me fumbling through the freezer for a pack of frozen burger to hold against my foot old @gizmo slept through it all!!!

Congrats to all of you for making it happen for Jayden. I bet that Scimitar tastes great too!!

Congrats to Jayden and Carrie making memories that will last a lifetime!

Sir you are one hell of a dad!!!!
Had such a great time as always at the Rockin G Ranch in Turkey!!! If y’all don’t know I help out a little down there on occasion but I also love to hunt there myself and take my boys!!! This past weekend I took my older son Jayden who happens to have Down syndrome. @gizmo Erik drove us around the high fence area the first evening there so Jayden could look at his options of what he was going to hunt. He instantly picked out the amazing Scimitar Oryx!!! So he was up at the ass crack of the morning 5:00 AM!!!! Eagerly awaiting for Erik at his bedroom door!!! Lol we left out shortly after and began our chase!!! And a chase it was!!! Every time we got close enough to see them they took off!!! And if y’all have ever been to the Rockin G you know the country is not the easiest to walk around in. Erik led us up and down the steep canyons for what seemed to my 220 lb son for miles in the 95* heat!!! We decided to give them a break and get back on them after lunch and so we did after lunch another few miles in the scorching Texas heat!!! Jayden being a large fella and not too quick to move around was nearly about to give up!!! I never have been one to let him quit at ANYTHING!!!! But I sped up next to Erik and talked to him about getting him to pick a different animal, because I just didn’t think he could keep going!!! Well that didn’t work his mind was set on the big Oryx!!! So we kept going and decided to have Erik take Jayden and set up in an area they would run by and I’d drive around the other way so they would think we were over there, and all of a sudden I hear the boom!!!! My heart sank because I’ve never not been there when my son shot an animal. Then I could see the Oryx in the distance and I saw the big guy stumbling around and then I hear a second shot and see him go down so I hauled ass over to them and see them running over to him to make sure he was out!!!! I was so happy I was bawling!!!! He set his mind to it and was not going to give up!!!! The shot placement was absolutely perfect!!!! I can’t thank Erik enough for the patience and love he put into this hunt!!!!!!

View attachment 353849 View attachment 353850 View attachment 353851 View attachment 353852 View attachment 353853 View attachment 353854 View attachment 353855 View attachment 353856 View attachment 353857 View attachment 353858

Congrats to Jayden!

I too am shocked that @gizmo made it up early.

WOW! I missed this! Congratulations Jayden! I am jealous of such a fine trophy! Beautiful beast! You did great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois