Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
God was good to me during this year’s fall moose season. I got to spend 11 days hunting on the Nushagak River - not far from home (I live in Dillingham). I was blessed to stay at the campsite (outhouses!) of some family friends from church, and enjoy the company of several good friends while there.

The weather was mostly rainy and often windy. My hunting buddy moved to the lower 48 this summer, for a job, so I hunted alone the whole time, which was a little odd and a bit sad. I saw good numbers of cows and calves, and three different bulls, including the one I shot. I also saw so many other super cool things, like otters, beavers, and porcupines, and so many different types of birds (I am an amateur birder). Moose season is ALWAYS a blessing; this year was no different.

The particulars for my hunt: the shot came on the evening of the 13th (Season is August 20th - September 15th for GMU 17C), at around 8:20 PM. Distance was 130 yards. I was using my Marlin MXLR in .338 Marlin Express with Hornady factory ammo. The resident season here is any antlered bull. I like meat so I am typically not picky. This one surprised me. I was guessing low 40s; he's right at 50". The rifle was my go-to: a Marlin MXLR in .338 Marlin Express shooting Hornady factory ammo. A perfectly mushroom'd bullet was found under the skin on the far shoulder. I have had great success with this ammo.

A couple of acknowledgements: church friends Michael Nunn and Robert Scott helped pack it out, after I sustained a rib injury (I cracked a couple the morning before I killed my bull, tripping and landing on a beaver chewed stump).

P1040854 - Copy.JPG

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...2Cy6wevAYnKwFHw-KAgRie5iVZBxE_w4&__tn__=*bH-R
P1040836 - Copy.JPG

P1040804.JPG

P1040759.JPG

P1040681.JPG

P1040683.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A few more photos... The meadow below is where I shot him. He came in aggressively to bull grunting and brush thrashing. I killed him near that small spruce on the right.

Also, my youngest daughter helping out. Next week we're headed out to get her a caribou and maybe be a bear. Fingers crossed.

P1040827 - Copy.JPG

P1040867.JPG

P1040884.JPG

P1040894.JPG

Tough go to move a Moose or part thereof with cracked ribs.

Congratulations on your success.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Congratulations. Nice moose. Broken/bruised ribs are the worst.

Nice moose! I like the hat!

I especially appreciate the butchering photos. The hunt is only part of the experience, the many, many meals of good meat really complete that joy.

The hat was purposeful. It has become my favorite hat. (y)

Beautiful! Congrats!

Really a nice moose and photos! Thanks for sharing! BTW, I fell and broke a rib the second day of my first African PG hunt this past June. I feel your pain… still. Not fun, but I managed. I didn’t have to haul anything out though. LOL

Nice bull and great choice of weaponry.

It's also great to see your daughter getting her hands dirty.

Good for you! Very nice! I've been to Dillingham twice. I will be there in September of 2023 as well.

You’re one tough dude TT! Well done sir!

Well done. Congrats on filling your freezer for the coming winter.
Bruce

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your adventure.

Well done TT!! Congrats and good luck with the caribou and bear!

Thanks for the kind words. Fresh meat is always a blessing.

@shotgungibbs ... If I am in town, a meal at the diner is on me. Come to the Togiak National Wildlife Refuge office. I'm the visitor services, education, and outreach guy. That offer stands for anyone coming to Dillingham.

Tundra Tiger, that is a very generous offer, as your meals aren't cheap in Dillingham! I ate breakfast and lunch at the Bristol Inn restaurant, and it was very good! A busy place most of the time! I had lunch at one other place once, but cannot remember the name of it, and there are not very many places there to eat. I would not hold you to that, but I will try to stop in, if possible, next Fall to meet you! Nothing but the best to you!

Congratulations on a terrific moose with a bee-yoo-tee-ful rifle!!! Is there anything prettier than a lever gun on a dead moose? Your pictures take me back to my younger years hunting moose in northern Saskatchewan. Very similar habitat I would say...just minus the mountains. And ouch on those ribs...my Dad tripped and fell and hit his face on a beaver stump about an inch from his eye. Was a bloody mess!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BouncyBros

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you