UGANDA: 2023 With JKO HUNTING SAFARIS

Day 6

After buff again, quite a few stalks on a couple of herds with no luck. About lunchtime we get a call from a village on the other side of the park about 2 bulls being out about 100 yards from the boundary. We have our lunch packed for us and get out of camp quickly since it is about 1-1.5 hours away.

We got to cut through Mburo national park instead of driving around (1 hr vs. 2.5 hrs). Saw a lot of game inside the park in the waterholes!!

40.jpg
thumbnail41.jpg
thumbnail42.jpg

We get to the village on the other side, and we find out 1 bull was scared back into the park by hikers on a foot tour coming down from one of the photo lodges... grrrrrr

We circle around another half mile or so and some villagers have the second bull spotted, bedded down in a mudhole. We make the stalk and get close, real close, probably 30 yards. He doesn't know we are there until the wind shifted. I wasn't going to shoot him laying down in the mudhole, especially without a clear shoulder shot. Well, like I said the wind shifted and he immediately turned and saw us, and bolted out of that mud hole like lighting going straight away from us back into the park. That's how it goes sometimes, we will try again tomorrow as it is now about 3pm. We will drive back through the hunting area on the way in to look for more buff.

Another cool bird they have is their national bird the crested crane, took a few picks along the way back in tonight.
thumbnail45.jpg
thumbnail72.jpg
thumbnail73.jpg

Day 3- Buffalo quest

We go a different route this morning towards the national park, where buff typically hang out near the border. No luck on a herd, but we do spot 1 lone bull. By the time we can get into position he makes us and heads straight for the park, oh well! On the way back in for lunch, a nice bushbuck is spotted, and it has the flair which I like on bushbuck vs. straight up horns.

Get out of the truck, short stalk into position, shot right on the shoulder. he goes 10 yards and that's it!

View attachment 526398View attachment 526399View attachment 526400View attachment 526401

After lunch we head out to what the bush will give us. And give it does! A huge bodied warthog with pretty nice tusks. The tusks were very thick as well!

View attachment 526402View attachment 526403View attachment 526404View attachment 526405

What a day!!!
Great trophies, what area are you hunting?

I have a 25+ inch Impala from RSA and these look soooo much bigger. Wonderful trophies. Nice warthog and that bushbuck is no slouch either. Uganda has been on my radar a couple of years. Sounds like a great hunt so far. Congrats.
Bruce

After we sight the rifles in (.375 and .30-06) its off to hunt. The amount of animals we see if amazing. Game seen first day: zebra, eland, waterbuck, impala, topi, warthog, bushbuck, and duiker. The most zebra, waterbuck, warthog, and Impala I have ever seen in my 10 hunts in Africa!

Game we are after includes: Impala, buffalo, bushbuck, warthog, and possibly a waterbuck.

About 1 hour into the hunt, a very nice impala is spotted, so nice I was told that I would be crazy to pass it up. Well that's all I need to hear, I have certainly ;earned that over the years! After a short stalk and getting to a termite mound, I was able to get about a 100 yard shot. Impala went about 30 yards and dropped. When we got to him I could not believe how wide, massive, and how much drop this one had versus typical southern impala.

View attachment 526370

View attachment 526371View attachment 526372View attachment 526373View attachment 526374

Well, that capped of a good day, we decide to head back to camp for some beers, and an early dinner. The concession owner knew it was a good one, but decided to go to the skinning shed and get the tape. When he cam back to campfire, we got the news.... 29 &3/8!!!

View attachment 526375
WOW largest I have seen taken! Congratulations!

Uganda had been a wish list hunt for me but one I never thought would be reality. Well, it became reality thanks to Jacques @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS. I have hunted with @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS 4 times now, each one has always lived up to and exceeded expectations!

The hunt was supposed to take place in October of 22, but the Ebola outbreak that has started a few weeks prior had started to spread around a few districts. After consultation with a few friends, family members, and doctors, I thought better of risking it. Jacques was more than flexible and we quickly rescheduled for February of 23. The three extra month wait went very quickly and before I knew it the time had come. Had a lot of credit card miles so treated myself to business class on a United/Brussels route from the east coast into Entebbe. Now to begin the journey to the Pearl of Africa!

View attachment 526331

View attachment 526338
Starting off with bourbon is the right way to do it Charles

Day 3- Buffalo quest

We go a different route this morning towards the national park, where buff typically hang out near the border. No luck on a herd, but we do spot 1 lone bull. By the time we can get into position he makes us and heads straight for the park, oh well! On the way back in for lunch, a nice bushbuck is spotted, and it has the flair which I like on bushbuck vs. straight up horns.

Get out of the truck, short stalk into position, shot right on the shoulder. he goes 10 yards and that's it!

View attachment 526398View attachment 526399View attachment 526400View attachment 526401

After lunch we head out to what the bush will give us. And give it does! A huge bodied warthog with pretty nice tusks. The tusks were very thick as well!

View attachment 526402View attachment 526403View attachment 526404View attachment 526405

What a day!!!
I like that impala for sure but this pig is a good one

Looks like you enjoyed a wonderful safari in a special destination. Great quality animals you’ve been blessed with so far. Uganda is in my future, just have too many other hunts booked that I have to finish before I go there.

I have a 25+ inch Impala from RSA and these look soooo much bigger. Wonderful trophies. Nice warthog and that bushbuck is no slouch either. Uganda has been on my radar a couple of years. Sounds like a great hunt so far. Congrats.
Bruce

Bruce,

No doundt I was in awe of how much wider, longer, and how they have potential for more mass! I hope you can get to Uganda one day soon! Make sure to reach out to Jacques when you are ready!

Day 7- Buffalo and waterbuck

So the plan today is to go back to the other side of the park, and hope one or both of those buffalo come out again to their mud holes. Everyone feels like there will be a good chance since its been getting hot in the afternoons the past few days.

In the meantime, I decide to go after a Defassa Waterbuck that are aplenty in the area.
A little backstory, waterbuck wasn't necessarily on my list, since I have a pretty good common one already. Like all other species here in Uganda, there is a chance at a truly special one at any given time. We have seen numerous bulls in the 28'-30' range during the hunt. A few days ago, we saw one that was really good according to all the trackers and the concession owner, but I passed as we were keen on buffalo that day.

So we look for that particular waterbuck in the morning, of course with no luck since we passed him days earlier. Then onto look for yesterday's buffalo. Well that plan worked, we were there and in place when the buffalo came out of the park and down to the mudhole. It was probably a good 30-45 minutes of waiting him out from when we first spotted him. So we slowly make out way from termite mount, to small tree, to another termite mound and get withing range (probably 60-75 yards). We have talked about a plan if the bull bolts towards the park, I will have to shoot until my magazine is empty regardless of the first shot. This is because if he goes back in the park before it dies, we can't pursue legally. I hav accepted that and was ready to give it a go. So with a full magazine or 4 plus 1 chambered, we slowly get into position. The wind is swirling as it usually does when it heats up there, but for now we are good. We peek around the tree/termite mound to get a look. he is standing , looking away. We slowly creep out another step or 2 to get where I can see the shoulder.

Get on the sticks pick my spot, then the wind changes!! As soon as I squeezed he starts to move. I can tell its a hit, but not sure if directly on shoulder. He runs towards the park and I put black in my scope and start firing. Repeat this until I am out. We are all pretty sure 4 of the 5 were hits. Right before he got back to the boundary, he slowed quite a bit, which is when I got the last one in him. I thought he would stumble and fall there, but he didn't :(.

Well now what? The ranger that was with us during the entire hunt radioed to his boss about the situation, and we were able to go in on the tracks a few meters, but no more. And in no way, were we to shoot inside the park. We found lung blood where he had stopped just before going back into the park. This was most likely my first shot, but probably a little far back, which makes sense since he started to run about the same time I squeezed.

The park rangers will gather a few men later that afternoon to look for the bull, and then let us know. If its found in the coming days, there will be a recovery plan put in place. Bummer, but that's the situation at hand, and it's hunting. We would all hope for the best, tomorrow will be my last day, half day actually.

It was a great stalk 2 days in a row on this old bull, and I would not let this dampen my time and superb hunt in Uganda. We head back to the lodge through the national park again and enjoy seeing the giraffe's, buffalo, and pigs again. Finish the day with some beers and a nice meal of eland ribs, impala, and topi steaks!

So the plan today is to go back to the other side of the park, and hope one or both of those buffalo come out again to their mud holes. Everyone feels like there will be a good chance since its been getting hot in the afternoons the past few days.

In the meantime, I decide to go after a Defassa Waterbuck that are aplenty in the area.
A little backstory, waterbuck wasn't necessarily on my list, since I have a pretty good common one already. Like all other species here in Uganda, there is a chance at a truly special one at any given time. We have seen numerous bulls in the 28'-30' range during the hunt. A few days ago, we saw one that was really good according to all the trackers and the concession owner, but I passed as we were keen on buffalo that day.

So we look for that particular waterbuck in the morning, of course with no luck since we passed him days earlier. Then onto look for yesterday's buffalo. Well that plan worked, we were there and in place when the buffalo came out of the park and down to the mudhole. It was probably a good 30-45 minutes of waiting him out from when we first spotted him. So we slowly make out way from termite mount, to small tree, to another termite mound and get withing range (probably 60-75 yards). We have talked about a plan if the bull bolts towards the park, I will have to shoot until my magazine is empty regardless of the first shot. This is because if he goes back in the park before it dies, we can't pursue legally. I hav accepted that and was ready to give it a go. So with a full magazine or 4 plus 1 chambered, we slowly get into position. The wind is swirling as it usually does when it heats up there, but for now we are good. We peek around the tree/termite mound to get a look. he is standing , looking away. We slowly creep out another step or 2 to get where I can see the shoulder.

Get on the sticks pick my spot, then the wind changes!! As soon as I squeezed he starts to move. I can tell its a hit, but not sure if directly on shoulder. He runs towards the park and I put black in my scope and start firing. Repeat this until I am out. We are all pretty sure 4 of the 5 were hits. Right before he got back to the boundary, he slowed quite a bit, which is when I got the last one in him. I thought he would stumble and fall there, but he didn't :(.

Well now what? The ranger that was with us during the entire hunt radioed to his boss about the situation, and we were able to go in on the tracks a few meters, but no more. And in no way, were we to shoot inside the park. We found lung blood where he had stopped just before going back into the park. This was most likely my first shot, but probably a little far back, which makes sense since he started to run about the same time I squeezed.

The park rangers will gather a few men later that afternoon to look for the bull, and then let us know. If its found in the coming days, there will be a recovery plan put in place. Bummer, but that's the situation at hand, and it's hunting. We would all hope for the best, tomorrow will be my last day, half day actually.

It was a great stalk 2 days in a row on this old bull, and I would not let this dampen my time and superb hunt in Uganda. We head back to the lodge through the national park again and enjoy seeing the giraffe's, buffalo, and pigs again. Finish the day with some beers and a nice meal of eland ribs, impala, and topi steaks!
Ah jeez. I know you are sick about this. He is likely down within a 1/4 of mile of where you left off. Hopefully the parks guys will really look for him.

I assume you are seeing the East African Defassa subspecies is in Uganda?

What a great adventure however it plays out with the bull.

Ah jeez. I know you are sick about this. He is likely down within a 1/4 of mile of where you left off. Hopefully the parks guys will really look for him.

I assume you are seeing the East African Defassa subspecies is in Uganda?

What a great adventure however it plays out with the bull.

Correct on the waterbuck species.

Bummer about the buffalo Charles, but a reason to go back. Great impalas and bushbuck!

Oh man, I do hope you got good news the following day...

We are hoping for good news! Either way, you gave your best.

Heck of an impala and pig. Hoping for the best on your bull.

Can’t wait for more posts and pictures!! Congratulations on some fantastic trophies!

Day 8 - 1/2 day hunting for Waterbuck then onto airport

Well no fresh news overnight or this morning about the buffalo. So we make a plan to back and look for that big waterbuck. We scour the hills for where we last saw him a few days ago for a few hours with no luck. We make it up to a high vantage point where you can see 3 different valleys, no luck.
thumbnail76.jpg
thumbnail78.jpg
thumbnail79.jpg
thumbnail80.jpg

So we drive around a few of the blocks, and take some of the inroads between the blocks, still no luck. We decide to head one more block over on the way back in for lunch, and I was able to spot what looked like a good bull from my side of the truck. We stopped to get eyes on him, and sure enough it was him! We ease our way out of the truck and stalk into position, get to about 50 yards and he presents a good broadside shot. Squeeze...it's s good hit and we see him run about 10 yards and collapse!

This waterbuck was bigger(body and horns) than i ever could have dreamed of!

thumbnail84.jpg
thumbnail85.jpg
thumbnail83.jpg

Final tale of the tape is 33'!!!!! Wow, what an East African Defassa bull and what an ending to an epic hunt! On back to camp for lunch, shower, and packing for the journey home.

TBC with Final thoughts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg