Two Hills, Alberta

Laeveld

Reaction score
A 14 yr expat South African, finally into African hunting due to the enthusiasm of my son in law. Reading, researching, and planning the first safari. Getting some practice with the 470 Merkel, and anxiously waiting for 378 wby to arrive. Both leftys, so finding a gun in the bigger calibers is a right pain in the rear end. &$@ tax pain spoiled acquiring a 375 Ruger, and by the time my eyes stopped watering from paying Ceasar, some other lucky bugger had bought it. Ah, well, heres hoping another one will show up somewhere.
Been on the site often, and finally joined.

Welcome! good to have you.

Welcome to AH Laeveld! Glad you decided to play with us and looking forward to reading your posts...

Welcome to AH, Laeveld!

(y)

welcome and enjoy the site laeveld

Love the Avatar.

Welcome to the bright side of AH.

Two Hills, another adopted Canadian on the site.

Good luck planning.

Welcome to AH, Laeveld !

Welcome to AH...

Where are you going and what are you going after?

Welcome Laeveld!

A 14 yr expat South African, finally into African hunting due to the enthusiasm of my son in law. Reading, researching, and planning the first safari. Getting some practice with the 470 Merkel, and anxiously waiting for 378 wby to arrive. Both leftys, so finding a gun in the bigger calibers is a right pain in the rear end. &$@ tax pain spoiled acquiring a 375 Ruger, and by the time my eyes stopped watering from paying Ceasar, some other lucky bugger had bought it. Ah, well, heres hoping another one will show up somewhere.
Been on the site often, and finally joined.

HI Laeveld and welcome from another Albertan.
I read your quest of finding the appropriate gun as you are a lefty?
A point of interest , perhaps for you to consider:
A high percentage of military long range shooters use the opposite bolt. right hand shooters use a left bolt while left hand shooters use a right. The theory is that you can reload without taking your eye of the target, you can stay locked in throught he scope.
Great for the second shot and you never have to relocate the target/animal ( what ever you may be shooting at).
This info is direct from a JTF2 military trainer.
I shoot right handed , tried his method and it works better than you might imagine, so good in fact that I have considered getting him to switch bolts in my favourite gun.
The other method worth considering is buy that good right hand gun ,if you find it, and have a gunsmith change the bolt from right to left.
It would be great talking with you in the future as I am planning my first African hunt for May 2015.
All the best
Sparky

Welcome to AH Laeveld! Glad you joined in.

HI Laeveld and welcome from another Albertan.
I read your quest of finding the appropriate gun as you are a lefty?
A point of interest , perhaps for you to consider:
A high percentage of military long range shooters use the opposite bolt. right hand shooters use a left bolt while left hand shooters use a right. The theory is that you can reload without taking your eye of the target, you can stay locked in throught he scope.
Great for the second shot and you never have to relocate the target/animal ( what ever you may be shooting at).
This info is direct from a JTF2 military trainer.
I shoot right handed , tried his method and it works better than you might imagine, so good in fact that I have considered getting him to switch bolts in my favourite gun.
The other method worth considering is buy that good right hand gun ,if you find it, and have a gunsmith change the bolt from right to left.
It would be great talking with you in the future as I am planning my first African hunt for May 2015.
All the best
Sparky
Sparky, you're a scholar and a gentleman, sir. I'll definitely go give it a try. A fellow just outside of town has a shooting range on his farm. My neighbor has a couple of rifles, all right handed, so this weekend I'll run a box or two ammo through his 303 and see how it pans out. Right handed 375's are easy to come by.
Thanks again!

Love the Avatar.

Welcome to the bright side of AH.

Two Hills, another adopted Canadian on the site.

Good luck planning.
The avatar has a story: a charachter in a comic strip, Louis the Lowveld Lion. We were 2 guys with the same first name in my platoon during military service, so Laeveld, the Afrikaans version of Lowveld, was my radio callsign in the army, and it kinda stuck.

Greetings from yet another Albertan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg