Turkey World Slam - where would you go?

biggiesmalls

AH member
Reaction score
If you wanted to complete the Turkey World Slam - that is, hunt all six types of turkey (Eastern, Merriam's, Rio Grande, Osceola, Gould's, and Ocellated), where would you go for each species? Let's say you've got to pick one location for each species/subspecies.

Thanks,
Drew

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
The Rockin G Ranch can certainly get you a heckava Rio bird. Nebraska and Colorado both have very good Merriam's hunting. I would probably choose Georgia for an Eastern, Obviously the Florida Panhandle for Osceola, Southern Arizona for the Goulds, and then the Oscellated I'd probably choose Campeche Mexico.

biggiesmalls

AH member
Reaction score
The Rockin G Ranch can certainly get you a heckava Rio bird. Nebraska and Colorado both have very good Merriam's hunting. I would probably choose Georgia for an Eastern, Obviously the Florida Panhandle for Osceola, Southern Arizona for the Goulds, and then the Oscellated I'd probably choose Campeche Mexico.
Thank you for the reply! I want to do a cast and blast style trip with each one - so hunt the turkeys, and take advantage of whatever fishing is nearby as well. This helps a lot!

Thanks,
Drew

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA

nkjonas

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI, NWTF, DU, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Guatemala, South Africa x4, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Poland x2, Czech Republic, Spain.
I finished my World Slam in 2008. I would highly recommend Danny Santangelo in Florida for Osceola, and Sierra Madre Hunting in Mexico for Gould’s. Shot my Ocellated in Guatemala, sadly hunting is no longer allowed. PM me if you have any questions.

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
If I ever start turkey hunting, the first place I'll be heading is Turkey, Texas for Rio's at the Rockin G! If I were after Ocellated, I'd be going somewhere in the Yucatan in Mexico.

justin wiles

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NWTF
Merriam..either Wyoming or SD public or Nebraska
Rio I would say Texas or central Kansas
Joey Jimenez for Osceola.
Of course SC for eastern.
Still researching to decide on Gould’s and ocellated which will be last on my quest.

JES Adventures

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.ranchinvestments.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Life Member of DSC, NRA and SCI
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Ethiopia, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Zambia. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
@biggiesmalls

Its a challenge, I did it over 35 years

Rio in Texas, PM me
Merriams New Mexico
Goulds Sonora I used Campillo Brothers
Osceola Canoe Creek Outfitters (done in 4 hrs)
Eastern - heres the problem. Got skunked in East Texas and Alabama. Then my cousin told me to out in for a tag in Wisconsin. Got my bird the first morning to complete my Slam

Yucatan next, most likely with Balam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NealCartwr

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh