Turkey World Slam - where would you go?

biggiesmalls

AH member
Reaction score
If you wanted to complete the Turkey World Slam - that is, hunt all six types of turkey (Eastern, Merriam's, Rio Grande, Osceola, Gould's, and Ocellated), where would you go for each species? Let's say you've got to pick one location for each species/subspecies.

Thanks,
Drew

The Rockin G Ranch can certainly get you a heckava Rio bird. Nebraska and Colorado both have very good Merriam's hunting. I would probably choose Georgia for an Eastern, Obviously the Florida Panhandle for Osceola, Southern Arizona for the Goulds, and then the Oscellated I'd probably choose Campeche Mexico.

The Rockin G Ranch can certainly get you a heckava Rio bird. Nebraska and Colorado both have very good Merriam's hunting. I would probably choose Georgia for an Eastern, Obviously the Florida Panhandle for Osceola, Southern Arizona for the Goulds, and then the Oscellated I'd probably choose Campeche Mexico.
Thank you for the reply! I want to do a cast and blast style trip with each one - so hunt the turkeys, and take advantage of whatever fishing is nearby as well. This helps a lot!

Thanks,
Drew

I finished my World Slam in 2008. I would highly recommend Danny Santangelo in Florida for Osceola, and Sierra Madre Hunting in Mexico for Gould’s. Shot my Ocellated in Guatemala, sadly hunting is no longer allowed. PM me if you have any questions.

If I ever start turkey hunting, the first place I'll be heading is Turkey, Texas for Rio's at the Rockin G! If I were after Ocellated, I'd be going somewhere in the Yucatan in Mexico.

Merriam..either Wyoming or SD public or Nebraska
Rio I would say Texas or central Kansas
Joey Jimenez for Osceola.
Of course SC for eastern.
Still researching to decide on Gould’s and ocellated which will be last on my quest.

@biggiesmalls

Its a challenge, I did it over 35 years

Rio in Texas, PM me
Merriams New Mexico
Goulds Sonora I used Campillo Brothers
Osceola Canoe Creek Outfitters (done in 4 hrs)
Eastern - heres the problem. Got skunked in East Texas and Alabama. Then my cousin told me to out in for a tag in Wisconsin. Got my bird the first morning to complete my Slam

Yucatan next, most likely with Balam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg