TuffPak Questions.......

@sandman0921 what you lose in shock absorption from going to traditional wood/baize over modern closed cell foam, I would think you gain for precision of fit.

If a gun is french fitted and if there are blocks on the lid and elsewhere to prevent any movement, I think you'd be in pretty good shape. I know that Dakota's custom shop used FEI for years for their best quality guns to get custom cases prior to initial sale.

You can always have baize covered foam I support if you want more durability and less tradition?

I have had zero problems with my Tuffpack. I ALWAYS add clothing and shooting sticks to fill up the space with the rifle. In May of 2015 we used Delta to RSA with no problems that trip. This year I used it to go Gillette-Denver-Dulles-Jo-berg-Zambia-Jo-berg- Kimberly-Joberg-Dulles-Denver-Gillette. Because I later used Credit card miles for the first leg instead of driving to Denver I had some extra inspections. My rifle was checked no less than 12 times. No one hassled me about my Tuffpack. It appears to be a North American issue..... If its a "regulation" then it is stupid without a useful purpose that I can see...... Bruce

So far I've had good luck with my TuffPak and putting clothes in with the guns to add padding and because I always travel with too much stuff. I have kept the original brochure in there as well to demonstrate that it is in fact a designed gun case. Now I'm worried though because if I have to relocate things out of my TuffPak to other luggage - um, I'm in trouble.

@hunting4sanity

I wouldn't worry too much right now. It sounds like most traveling hunters' experiences have been positive with the TuffPak. That's why I was polling everyone.......to see if I was just having bad luck as of late, which is pretty par for the course........ :(

It appears that is the case, although the "guns only" stance the TSA and/or airlines have taken with a few of us bears watching......It certainly may start to become more of an obvious policy/trend going forward, and thus change TuffPak users views on their utility.......

Like I said, I still like mine.

Tuffpack testimony:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
@rookhawk How would an Americase (or any other case) with the same locks have prevented this?

Same as I said in the other thread- no damage to the case.

Just like a 57 chevy. Head on collision. Car is perfect. Everyone inside is jelly.

@rookhawk How would an Americase (or any other case) with the same locks have prevented this?

Tough pack internally does not isolate all items. It allows things to move and weaoponizes adjacent items as they slam into other valuables. Further, a tuffpack flexes and returns to shape so the contents can break and you'd never know from exterior.

An Americase isolates guns in closed cell foam and they cannot move whatsoever. The case has no flex and resists compression until total failure of heavy gauge aluminum and welded seams.

@rookhawk I repecfully disagree that this gun was damaged while still in the case.

@rookhawk I repecfully disagree that this gun was damaged while still in the case.

No offense taken by disagreement. Do we have any forensic evidence to support a less likely conclusion. A heavy footprint or indentation on the wrist made by an object not in the tough pack? A heavy damage to the toe of the stock as though it was axe swung to the floor? To be the cause you suggest, evidence would exist.

Otherwise, latent defect plus tuffpack seems a likely cause.

Tuffpack testimony:

I made the original post about my broken gun, and said it was in a Tuffpak.

I want to be very clear though. I have not blamed the Tuffpak, and I have no basis for blaming the Tuffpak. There was another gun in the Tuffpak, and it was undamaged. There are no boot prints on the tuffpak, and no external damage, although more dust and dirt that I would have thought luggage would normally pick up, but that doesn't mean anything.

The maker should receive the gun today, and he will have a look and see if he can understand what's happened. This was the last gun I fired on my hunt in Benin, and it worked well. It was in one piece when I took it out (twice) at the airport for inspection. I would've thought if the stock was cracked or damaged prior to being packed, I would have noticed something when I shot it or put it away - a .300 win mag does recoil a fair bit.

So how this happened is still a mystery to me. So far, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Tuffpak again.

I made the original post about my broken gun, and said it was in a Tuffpak.

I want to be very clear though. I have not blamed the Tuffpak, and I have no basis for blaming the Tuffpak. There was another gun in the Tuffpak, and it was undamaged. There are no boot prints on the tuffpak, and no external damage, although more dust and dirt that I would have thought luggage would normally pick up, but that doesn't mean anything.

The maker should receive the gun today, and he will have a look and see if he can understand what's happened. This was the last gun I fired on my hunt in Benin, and it worked well. It was in one piece when I took it out (twice) at the airport for inspection. I would've thought if the stock was cracked or damaged prior to being packed, I would have noticed something when I shot it or put it away - a .300 win mag does recoil a fair bit.

So how this happened is still a mystery to me. So far, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Tuffpak again.

Thanks for clarifying @Hank2211. Sorry about the damage to a beautiful nice rifle. Really interesting to find out how this occurred.

Last edited:
Just like a 57 chevy. Head on collision. Car is perfect. Everyone inside is jelly.

Tough pack internally does not isolate all items. It allows things to move and weaoponizes adjacent items as they slam into other valuables. Further, a tuffpack flexes and returns to shape so the contents can break and you'd never know from exterior.

An Americase isolates guns in closed cell foam and they cannot move whatsoever. The case has no flex and resists compression until total failure of heavy gauge aluminum and welded seams.
Comparing supported wood to human flesh bouncing around inside metal is where you went wrong

I'm thinking it is possible for the rifle to get damaged inside the case. Possible, but highly unlikely. I guess I just don't believe somebody would willfully take it out of the case and break it and then put the pieces nicely back into the case.

Sounds like a job for...............
upload_2017-4-12_19-55-14.png

I'm thinking it is possible for the rifle to get damaged inside the case. Possible, but highly unlikely. I guess I just don't believe somebody would willfully take it out of the case and break it and then put the pieces nicely back into the case.

Sounds like a job for...............
View attachment 179741
Dave you have far more faith in the general population than I! It was the first thought I had when I saw the case was undamaged and this is at least the 3rd rifle I have seen pics of broken exactly like this. With all the gun and hunting haters out there is it really a stretch to think they would, if given the opportunity, ruin these type of belongings believing they are either saving animals or doing the world good?

Dave you have far more faith in the general population than I! It was the first thought I had when I saw the case was undamaged and this is at least the 3rd rifle I have seen pics of broken exactly like this. With all the gun and hunting haters out there is it really a stretch to think they would, if given the opportunity, ruin these type of belongings believing they are either saving animals or doing the world good?

Criminal mischief
Felony destruction of property

If they were caught they'll serve 3-6 months. Most won't take that chance. They'll just lose your bag so your hunt is ruined, etc.

Criminal mischief
Felony destruction of property

If they were caught they'll serve 3-6 months. Most won't take that chance. They'll just lose your bag so your hunt is ruined, etc.
Cause nothing bad ever happens with airlines. Working in an airport is the one place in the world that makes criminals think things thru first, apparently. I will stick with my original assessment and if I was someone in the position to use money as an influence I would bet an African safari that the gunsmith will come to the same judgement

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg