Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
After much discussion and many phone calls, most leading in circles, I have determined the regulations for the transiting procedures through the US via air with firearms.

No permit is required to transit the US via air with firearms provided the firearms do not pass through US customs while in the US. Have your export, import permits, proof of ownership and either a hunting lisence or other supporting documentation (Invitation to hunt/shooting event) handy at the time of passing through US customs in the country of departure.

If you have problems with a flight resulting in an extended layover while in the US, under no circumstances claim a firearm or baggage containing ammunition in the US, intruct your airline to keep your baggage until a suitable replacement flight is available. If your firearm pops out on the baggage carousel or your airline wants you to collect it from baggage claims, DO NOT TOUCH IT, instead have someone watch that the firearm does not get stolen and immediately report the occurence to US Cuctoms and Border Security, a smiling agent will happily get the firearm back where it belongs. DO NOT try to take your fire arm to US Cuctoms and Border Security, allow them to collect it themselves. Under no circumstances take any chance of being in posession of a firearm in the US without proper import documents.

SAA has policies in place and will not return firearms or ammunition to passengers in the US, United does not and requires that the passenger request that United hold thier luggage until a replacement flight can be arranged. I do not know the policies of other airlines, check before you fly.

Dept of State DSP-61 permits are a form of temporary import permit, not an in-transit permit. They are for military items entering the US temporarily, for trade fairs and such, that are not covered by the BATF regulations for sporting arms and are only reguired for items that will be clearing customs on US soil (officially entering the US).

I hope this clears things up in this very gray area of US law.

Diamondhitch, Thank you for sharing this information with us.

Thanks D.
Can you please PM me the numbers of the people you called so I can refer the State department authority I got the DSP info from.
I would dearly love to share it with him after all the pain in my **** he has caused me.

Getting clear info has been a trial for me as well. Please do not go off half cocked with them though as it is difficult enough to get answers from them as it is. Everyone I dealt with was quite nice and helped as much as they could, the most knowledgable and helpful person I spoke with was an agent at the US customs pre-clearance center at my point of departure. He knew the laws clearly and the application for each type of permit (or lack there of). No dancing or uncertainty. He was my last call but should have been my first.

One thing to beart in mind if your travels go through New York. New York has a law that requires any firearms (long guns too) to be registared if in New york for longer than 24 hrs. On one of my trips to Africa going through NY I layed over in a hotel for 18 hrs. The first question I was asked when I showed up at Kennedy Airport buy the Port Police was "How long you been in New York?" I knew the law and stopped him dead in his tracks with my answer. So if you plan on seeing New York before your trip plan ahead for this.
If you go once, you will go again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg