Tipping Guide

So…

Is the OP's tipping guide still accurate or is it out of date? I'm too ADD to read all 57 pages.
I think 57 pages gives the answer. It really depends on the hunt and person. In my opinion, the listed staff tips for typical safari are still in line although maybe on lower side. The staff tips listed for a wilderness area big 5 hunt would cause a very unhappy camp in 2023. Use it as a guide and discuss staff tips with PH or outfitter then decide what’s reasonable to you.

So…

Is the OP's tipping guide still accurate or is it out of date? I'm too ADD to read all 57 pages.
Given this thread is 14+ years old, I say 'no', tips should be higher, but, it is a great starting place to know who should be tipped and the differences in what each should be given.

It is pretty much in line with what my outfitter from last year suggested.

I must be honest in the fact that when it comes to "tipping" that it is the least enjoyable part of the whole trip. Not that I don't tip well, as I feel I probably go above and beyond what most feel is average but it just kind of puts a strain on the whole trip trying to figure out what that magical number is to show your appreciation to all involved in the adventure.
My $.02 is use this thread as a general guide to give you a working scenario and adjust from there.
Any "tip" is exactly that, a token of appreciation. If an outfiter were to turn their nose up at whatever that amount was/is, I would be looking for a new outfit post haste.

tipping is interesting and i will bring to you few stories ... in my youger age while working in tavern in paris seems all my colleagues fought to deal with us customers as they were tipping ... not because they got a better service but only because that was the way ... few years later i helped a lady on the side of the road and she offered me money while in uniform ... when i asked her if she will tip a sheriff or a police officer in her country she understood what she did ...

the last year i was a chief guide in northern quebec for caribou hunting some camps had a print of a mandatory tip of 20% above the trip already paid ... i removed that print and i said to every briefing in front of the staff then hunters that tipping is not mandatory and should not be requested or begged by any staff will it be guide or cook or the help-cook.

when i worked in CAR it amazed me that us hunters were dropping bills like there is no end while in the same time scandinavian hunters or french hunters did not give any tips. it did not change of course the way we operated depending on the nationality of the hunter.

when im seeing an outfit asking for $100 per day for the ph on the day of the daily rate im shocked that the tipping became 1/3 or 33% of the daily fees.
suggestion is maybe a good idea but maybe it is time to raise the income instead of the tip habits ...
Tips of 15% are always included in France. To pay a tip in addition is discretionary and not often done in large amounts. It would be double tipping. I am not familiar with Sweden but I read this : ""Service workers are well paid in Sweden, so tipping is not part of the culture. However, if you receive outstanding service, a tip of 5% or more is a nice way to show your appreciation.Feb 12, 2021"" Author unknown.

It really depends on the customs of each culture.

my first hunt 2 years ago, the owner handed out a list of everyone that worked there about 22 people with the suggested amount for each person and it was not based on the price of the hunt would have ran about 3200.00 in tips. crazy

He basically expected you to pay their salaries

my first hunt 2 years ago, the owner handed out a list of everyone that worked there about 22 people with the suggested amount for each person and it was not based on the price of the hunt would have ran about 3200.00 in tips. crazy
That's exploitation.

in fact he expected the 5 of us to tip his wife who was the cook and only did a mediocre lunch, same every day. and dinner which was good, 1250.00 for the week . I learned a lot on that trip, one thing for sure not to book him ever again

And who would he be? so others can use your experience to help them plan their trips?

Dinner is the most important. He asked $250.00 from each one of you for the week to pay his wife. That is mildly high but not unreasonable. I thought you were alone. I know dinners are elaborate and well prepared in South Africa. She also prepared lunch, regardless of how good or average it was she did work for five people. That's different than working for one person. If I was in a group of five, I'd gladly pay her.

I try to keep it simple … $100/day for the PH, $150/day for the camp crew (however that is to be dispersed). Adjustments made from there based on scenario and quality of experience.

Tips of 15% are always included in France. To pay a tip in addition is discretionary and not often done in large amounts. It would be double tipping. I am not familiar with Sweden but I read this : ""Service workers are well paid in Sweden, so tipping is not part of the culture. However, if you receive outstanding service, a tip of 5% or more is a nice way to show your appreciation.Feb 12, 2021"" Author unknown.

It really depends on the customs of each culture.
there is not tips include in your bill for restaurant hotel or bar in france it is called the taxes. tipping is not part of the culture nor of the workers ...

there is not tips include in your bill for restaurant hotel or bar in france it is called the taxes. tipping is not part of the culture nor of the workers ...
Sorry, 15% is included as a tip in France. I'm well informed. Have family in France and I lived in France. You go to any restaurant and 15% is included as tip, NOT as tax. It is obligatory that it is included in the amount of the bill.

im from france while no more living there lol and family owned restaurants ... the 15% you are talking about is service compris or included in english and not a tip at all ... tip is pourboire in french. the 15% is used to pay employees (the service not the tipping part). that 15% became law in 1985 when the gvt forced the industry to pay employees better wage.

Donc, d'apres vous je me trompe. Je regrette mon cher monsieur je sais de quoi je parle. Je sais ce que c'est un pourboire.
im from france while no more living there lol and family owned restaurants ... the 15% you are talking about is service compris or included in english and not a tip at all ... tip is pourboire in french. the 15% is used to pay employees (the service not the tipping part). that 15% became law in 1985 when the gvt forced the industry to pay employees better wage.
Donc, d'apres vous je me trompe. Je regrette mon cher monsieur je sais de quoi je parle. Je sais ce que c'est un pourboire. That 15% exists since the 1950s and even prior. Allez, il ne faut pas raconter des balivernes. It's called a service fee but it's also for the personel as a tip.

as you re mastering the langue de moliere please point me out in the law where it says pourboire or tip in french ...

as i said it was to increase the wages of the employees working in the industry ...

up to 76 it was a tip and service including the taxes that was from 10 to 15% depending on the taxation system and you were right a tip was included at that time but not after the law of 85 promulgued in 87 fixed the issues.

I've not been to France, but if an amount is included as an obligatory part of payment of a bill, whatever it might be called on the receipt, it is not a tip, by definition. A tip is a gift, beyond what is owed for a service or goods, that the client feels expresses a gratitude for the service or goods rendered. The amount gifted must be determined by the client, not the provider or business. To demand additional monies changes the entire purpose of tipping and simply equates to a raise in the base price of the goods or service. Regardless of the country those goods or services are provided in.

as you re mastering the langue de moliere please point me out in the law where it says pourboire or tip in french ...

as i said it was to increase the wages of the employees working in the industry ...

up to 76 it was a tip and service including the taxes that was from 10 to 15% depending on the taxation system and you were right a tip was included at that time but not after the law of 85 promulgued in 87 fixed the issues.
Google it properly. I am not mastering the language of Moliere. It's my first language, I mastered it a long time ago among a few others I speak, read and write. Your insistence is perturbing, you're misinformed. It really depends where you eat and what you call a restaurant. I'm not responding anymore.

Un pourboire est un montant d’argent et une faveur versée à une personne. Il a pour but de remercier le service ou la qualité de cette personne. C’est un usage pour l’expression de la satisfaction et un volontaire personnel. L’offre de ce pourboire dépend de la bonne qualité du restaurant apprécié par les clients. Au restaurant en France, les prix s’accordent taxes et service compris 15% environ du prix total. Si le service est bien entretenu, vous pouvez laisser un pourboire pour exprimer votre satisfaction. Le montant doit être de 5 à 10% de l’addition.

Do not fight !

The 15% on the bill are taxes and has nothing to do with tipping, pourboire in french.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!