Tipping Guide

My wife and I went to Jamaica a few years back and we had a waiter that was exceptional and I gave him a $50 tip at an all inclusive resort. He just sat down and cried. He said that was more than he made in a week.
We had a similar experience at Ilala Lodge in Victoria Falls years ago. Everything was done just right, and my wife wanted to show her appreciation by giving the delightful maid who cleaned our room a $20 tip. The maid cried in appreciation. To her, it was a lot of money. Most folks were lucky to have jobs at all in those days, and ones who did certainly appreciated any little extra that came with a tip.

I tip ph in US dollars. The PH coverts US to Rand for me the last time so I could personally tip the help
I tipped in dollars and my ph told me he converted my dollars for Rand for his team. Worked out well

I think one should tip the state employee who rather quickly issues one's driving license or passport for traveling abroad. Oh, wait, that's a bribe, then, isn't it ? Or still rewardable service?

But then at least one should bribe I mean tip the mechanic who services your car and the airport employee who checks you in on you next flight, because you want to reward them for exceptional service, not just some basic wrenching or boarding pass and luggage tag printing...

The whole concept of tipping is so utterly ridiculous in this international, "banks and malls instead of plants and factories" service industry and information-flooded 21st century...
And this "expansionary" US spirit is grinding to a halt, no more "do in Rome as you do in Phoenix and Philly" spirit.

After 57 pages I have a tipping question.

Do people tip their dip and pack company? Not looking for amount as every ones feels and has financial differences. Just is tipping the D&P company "normal" or done regularly?

MB

Do people tip their dip and pack company? Not looking for amount as every ones feels and has financial differences. Just is tipping the D&P company "normal" or done regularly?

MB
No. Tipping is for personal service. How did this question come up?

I brought it up. Not any D&P company, never even spoke to my D&P company about this, but tips are given for personnel service and now in 2023 asked for even on some non personnel crazy things in almost every other aspect in life. I have received over the top special personal service from my D&P company and was just testing more experienced travellers opinions/practices.

Yes I did just add a little extra to final payment sent today. They have deserved it as far as I am concerned. Now I only hope shipping company, and Cnd services at Port of Entry are as good.

MB

I brought it up. Not any D&P company, never even spoke to my D&P company about this, but tips are given for personnel service and now in 2023 asked for even on some non personnel crazy things in almost every other aspect in life. I have received over the top special personal service from my D&P company and was just testing more experienced travellers opinions/practices.

Yes I did just add a little extra to final payment sent today. They have deserved it as far as I am concerned. Now I only hope shipping company, and Cnd services at Port of Entry are as good.

MB
I’m glad you thought they earned it. I think I would have waited to see the condition they arrive in though. Usually dip and pack is paid prior to the process starting. I was afraid a 15% tip was suggested on a price list you may have seen. I’m glad to tip for exceptional or personal service, but tipping is starting to get a little out of hand since covid.

I’m glad you thought they earned it. I was afraid a 15% tip was suggested on a price list you may have seen. I’m glad to tip for exceptional or personal service, but tipping is starting to get a little out of hand since covid.
When I inspect and receive my shipment I will certainly write a report on this D&P company. So far they have gone far beyond what I expected, and more than any other D&P company from my other trips.

MB

375 Fox, I agree tipping is out of hand. the other day I stopped at a donut shop and bought one donut upon paying for it the lady asked if I would like to leave a tip?I told her you only put the donut in a bag why should I tip you for only doing your job so that requires a tip. I only tip for good service above and beyond what is normal, if you do not like your pay scale then get another job

MB

No

So now we have to tip dip and pack ?

Who else ?

Veterinary inspection, shippers, the RSA Government ?

This is really getting out of hand.

Now, what @Stephen Ausband did was really nice :A Clapping::A Clapping:

So now we have to tip dip and pack ?

Who else ?

Veterinary inspection, shippers, the RSA Government ?

This is really getting out of hand.

Now, what @Stephen Ausband did was really nice :A Clapping::A Clapping:
Not sure how you came to the "have" to tip D&P or any other part of safari or life for that matter from my recent post. What I got from the 57 pages of reading was/is that its a choice based on many factors, people, life styles, financial abilities and even traditions of both where you are and where you are from.

Fishing in Malaysia tips to fishing company were graciously expected?/excepted, but most other places (restaurants, driver/taxi) took it as an insult, did not except and were offended? Both ends of tipping conundrum on same trip.

I agree with most and I hope it always remains a choice and yes I agree it also has gotten out of hand in many places. I do not want to start any new tipping expectations, but it was my choice to reward my D&P company a little extra. I say they earned it.

MB

Tipping is still completely voluntary almost everywhere I go. That said, restaurant meals have doubled over the last 2 years, and the minimum suggested tip on the machine now runs 18% or 20% with choices all the way to 35%. I refuse to tip on those machines, 1 - because doubling the meal cost and doubling or more the expected tip is just ridiculous and 2 - I have no idea if the server actually gets the tips. I give the tip in cash to the server, or anyone else I am tipping.

Guy should be free to tip whoever he feels like without others criticising them, but also, the whole tipping thing has gotten completely out of control. There are Tip jars and tip pages on the Visa machines at the convenience store, grocery store, drug store and a whole raft of other places. Many of us tipped far more people than we used to during Covid, trying to help folks, that seems to have now become an expectation.

The minimum wage here is $15 an hour and tens of thousands of jobs, many that pay far more than that, go unfilled. I no longer feel the need to help out, my tipping has returned to what it previously was, reward for great service.

Last edited:
Tipping is still completely voluntary almost everywhere I go. That said, restaurant meals have doubled over the last 2 years, and the minimum suggested tip on the machine now runs 18% or 20% with choices all the way to 35%. I refuse to tip on those machines, 1 - because doubling the meal cost and doubling or more the expected tip is just ridiculous and 2 - I have no idea if the server actually gets the tips. I give the tip in cash to the server, or anyone else I am tipping.

Guy should be free to tip whoever he feels like without others criticising them, but also, the whole tipping thing has gotten completely out of control. There are Tip jars and tip pages on the Visa machines at the convenience store, grocery store, drug store and a whole raft of other places. Many of us tipped far more people than we used to during Covid, trying to help folks, that seems to have now become an expectation.

The minimum wage here is $15 an hour and tens of thousands of jobs, many that pay far more than that, go unfilled. I no longer feel the need to help out, my tipping has returned to what it previously was, reward for great service.
Locally even if I pay the restaurant bill on a CC, I pay the server in cash for the tip. Then I know that he/she receive it and not the establishment. The exceptions for me are if I am travelling or I am paying for a family outing.

Just a side note most franchise restaurants in South Africa don't pay their waiters they earn a small commission not always and then rely on tips alone.

Bear that in mind and 10% tip is still fine in South Africa at restaurants.

tipping is interesting and i will bring to you few stories ... in my youger age while working in tavern in paris seems all my colleagues fought to deal with us customers as they were tipping ... not because they got a better service but only because that was the way ... few years later i helped a lady on the side of the road and she offered me money while in uniform ... when i asked her if she will tip a sheriff or a police officer in her country she understood what she did ...

the last year i was a chief guide in northern quebec for caribou hunting some camps had a print of a mandatory tip of 20% above the trip already paid ... i removed that print and i said to every briefing in front of the staff then hunters that tipping is not mandatory and should not be requested or begged by any staff will it be guide or cook or the help-cook.

when i worked in CAR it amazed me that us hunters were dropping bills like there is no end while in the same time scandinavian hunters or french hunters did not give any tips. it did not change of course the way we operated depending on the nationality of the hunter.

when im seeing an outfit asking for $100 per day for the ph on the day of the daily rate im shocked that the tipping became 1/3 or 33% of the daily fees.
suggestion is maybe a good idea but maybe it is time to raise the income instead of the tip habits ...

So…

Is the OP's tipping guide still accurate or is it out of date? I'm too ADD to read all 57 pages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!