Thoughts on the 9.3 x 62 Mauser

Hello my fellow hunters and rifle enthusiasts,

I'm definitely +1 with stug in regards to the long range capability of our most common 9.3 cartridges.
I suppose for someone who shoots a 14 pound .338 Lapua or, .50 Browning MG caliber that, looks more like a science fiction movie prop than it does a hunting rifle, complete with a working replica of the Hubble telescope, mounted in 4 or more industrial sized rings and a muzzle brake that resembles a gigantic harmonica, the term "long range" might mean something beginning well beyond 500 yards / meters.
But, for the rest of us simple souls, primarily interested in what a portable, if not perfectly handy hunting rifle will do, I think "long range" probably describes something beginning and ending around 300 yds/mtrs (or maybe 400).

Well any way, in regards to this specific caliber thread, mine is a 9.3x62 and it's made on a commercial (not military surplus) FN 1950's vintage, Model 98 Mauser action.
It has a 23 inch, medium sporter-weight barrel and "only" a 4x scope, (plus British style express sights, in case I break the scope).
Shooting Privi-Partizan brand 286 grain round nose softs from this rifle, I can hit a large dinner plate size target at 300 meters, from standing with sticks, every time (However, about 200 meters is my personal limit when using the open sights on this rifle).
The above factory loaded bullets, are leaving the muzzle around 2300 feet per second, perhaps a tic more.
I have tried hand loaded 285 grain Nosler Partitons, at about the same speed and found them very accurate but sadly, I've yet to hunt anything with this rifle.
Anyway, with my scope zeroed at 100, I have to hold a little high for center hits at 300 but, not much.

Furthermore, I have not fired my 9.3 at any target beyond 300 measured meters (pre-marked rifle range) so, I can only guess from reading ballistic data that, very far beyond 300, the heavy bullet will begin to loose trajectory fast.
There are lighter, flatter shooting bullets available for the 9.3's, such as the 232 grain spitzer but, I have not seen fit to try them.

My parting shot as it were:
Many of my fellow North Americans seem enamored with various .300 magnums / 165 to 180 grain spitzers for most all their hunting, including in thick African thornbush, where a very long shot MIGHT be 200 paces, across a water hole or canyon.
I think it may have been Craig Boddington that wrote something like "Realistically, in perhaps 80% of huntable Africa, the conditions are moderate to thick bush" (or something like that).

So, if hunting in such common Africa conditions, the 9.3's with heavy bullet, IMO are superior to any .30 caliber, (dreaded magnum or otherwise), in every way - especially when considering valuable meat for eating and skins for taxidermy, not splattered all over creation.
That said and in all fairness to the high velocity crowd, the .300's are quite excellent for so called "plains game" hunting in wide open conditions.
Most of Namibia and South Africa's Eastern Cape come to mind, as places where, a .300 magnum will be the better choice over any 9.3.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I'm going on my first plains game hunt in May in Limpopo with a Husqvarna Mauser in 9.3 x 62mm. It was originally a Model 146 in 9.3x57mm that I had rechambered to the longer 62mm cartridge. Shoots great and it's topped with a 3-7x luepold scope. I have a lot of confidence in the rifle and have been practicing with it for two years.

I used Privi for whitetails but am taking A-frames for everything in Africa.

BTW Velo Dog- I used to work with Danny. Very solid guy.

I'm going on my first plains game hunt in May in Limpopo with a Husqvarna Mauser in 9.3 x 62mm. It was originally a Model 146 in 9.3x57mm that I had rechambered to the longer 62mm cartridge. Shoots great and it's topped with a 3-7x luepold scope. I have a lot of confidence in the rifle and have been practicing with it for two years.

I used Privi for whitetails but am taking A-frames for everything in Africa.

Hammergun I concur with your choice of Swift A-Frames. I hunted Namibia in 2009 for plains game. I used my Model 70 .375 H & H with Remington Premier Safari ammunition loaded with the 300 grain Swift A-Frame. I harvested a Kudu, Springbok, Gemsbok, Warthog, Mountain Zebra and Baboon. All were 1 shot kills with the exception of the Gemsbok which was my fault in that I made a poor shot.
We recovered the bullet from the Kudu which weighed 289 grains after having gone through about 6 feet of animal. It was mushroomed to 2x+ caliber. Bullet performance doesn't get any better than that.

Good call on the Swifts. Monometal bullets struggle to open at the velocity fired from the 9,3. Unless you chase 2500-2600 fps with a 235gr bullet of sorts, which in my opinion completely defeats the object of the exercise, i.e using a heavy for caliber bullet at moderate velocity

Thanks I agree, very solid guy.
He turned out quite well, in spite of who his father is.

You should be able to hit 2500+ with 250 gr monometal bullets. I just looked up over a dozen load recipes, and that's at the 50k psi range. I can't find it at the moment, but John Barsness did some loads in the 60k range, if i remember correctly, with RL17, Ramshot powders and maybe 4350, that would exceed that by a fair margin. I fail to see how a load like that would not hold its own with the fast 30's in the 2-400 range. Sure, little more drop, but you're I the same range as several 338 Win Mag loads

To the OP,

Great combo. I have a 640 in 270 I am debating rebarreling or reboring. I like yours better, with the barrel band sling. My stock is in rough shape, might reshape/refinish or just replace it. I've got a spare semi inlet for it.

Looks like the file didn't load... Let me just add it here.

250 gr Barnes RL-15 62gr 2636
250 gr Barnes RL-15 59gr 2612 (Taken from real Guns)

As usual, Start low and work up

Hi SWARA,

I am loading my own 9,3x62 ZKK 600 with 60 cm barrel lenght, at 2650 f/s with 250 grs TTSX and Hornady GMX. NORMA or Remington cases CCI 250 and R15. Very good and safe Maximum load. The magazine and barrel chamber allow an OAL very long, longer than the cartridge standard, of about 86 mm with 1mm free travel to the lands. I am VERY happy with this gun!

And with the Great FOX monolitic 220 grs (Made in Slovenia) y reach 2800 f/s with the same other components and, until now, the best accuracy, by far!!!
I am very exited to try these three bullets on big Red Deer and Wild Boar this comming season!
And about trayectories, they are roughly the same as a 30-06 with its common bullets.

My 9,3x62 is a Huskvarna 640 very similar to yours,
My93x621-1.jpg

I haven't shot it a whole lot but it is a very nice rifle. I have only killed one whitetail with mine so far.

Attachments

• My93x621-1.jpg
    My93x621-1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 289
Last edited by a moderator:
The Husqvarna was the working man's gun. I have had several husqvarnas 2 in m/96, 2 in m/98 and two in m/1640. The one I have left is in the M98. I have taken quite a bit of game with them. I am debating which caliber to take with me in May. The 9.3 may win out. Here is my husqvarna...

QQ9RaJe.jpg

Attachments

• QQ9RaJe.jpg
    QQ9RaJe.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 564
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62. Great rifle/calibre combination. I don't think you'll be disappointed with yours. Have you decided what optic to put on it? A 1.5-6x?, or 2-8x?
btw welcome from a fellow Waterloo Regionalite (yes I know no such word but it sounded good)!

Yep the 9.3 have simply been killing game all over the world for about a 113 years. Didn't get all the press of many rounds but in the hands of a competent rifleman or riflewoman it is just a solid performer! You can't go wrong with the Aframe. I also like the northfork cupped point solid. I have taken a 9.3x74 double and single shots on safari. will take my 9.3x62 this year. Shoot often, shoot straight, and shoot safely

New member here. I very recently acquired a Husqvarna FN 98 chambered in 9.3 x 62. Just curious as to your thoughts/feedback on this rifle/caliber combination.

View attachment 218993
Looks like a very nice rifle and I haven’t heard any complaints about the round in terms of performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois