Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)

Looks like Ruger will end up with Marlin, possibly more as Remington gets taken apart and its various holdings split up.

The most interesting part of that article to me is Sierra making the move to purchase Barnes..

Rem buying Barnes a few years back made me nervous.. I was initially concerned about Big Green losing focus on quality control and/or cutting corners... I never saw a change in TSX or TTSX at all though.. they are just as good today as they were the day before Rem bought them...

Hopefully Sierra doesnt try to change anything either.. and just keeps on selling the product(s) as they were originally designed...

The most interesting part of that article to me is Sierra making the move to purchase Barnes..

Rem buying Barnes a few years back made me nervous.. I was initially concerned about Big Green losing focus on quality control and/or cutting corners... I never saw a change in TSX or TTSX at all though.. they are just as good today as they were the day before Rem bought them...

Hopefully Sierra doesnt try to change anything either.. and just keeps on selling the product(s) as they were originally designed...

I also hope the quality of Barnes Bullets don't suffer.

In fact I hope with Sierra purchasing Barnes Bullets, Sierra will become a better company, with better quality bullets. That Sierra Bullets quality will be upgraded from cheap target shooting bullets to actual quality hunting bullets.

But just in case I just ordered another 600 bullets, 200 bullets per caliber, for African game.

Ug. How in the hell has any American gun maker ended up in bankruptcy much less Remington. Record firearms and firearm related equipment sales have happened year after year and month after month going back to 08. Some seriously poor business decisions and execution must have been made for a long time to end up here. Nothing good can come of this.

Ug. How in the hell has any American gun maker ended up in bankruptcy much less Remington. Record firearms and firearm related equipment sales have happened year after year and month after month going back to 08. Some seriously poor business decisions and execution must have been made for a long time to end up here. Nothing good can come of this.

You can thank the Demcommies, a weak justice system, and the abundance of ambulance chasing lawyers looking to make a fast buck.

My guess is with an investment firm purchasing the firearms plant in (g)unfriendly NY state, it will move south or west.

Razor thin profit margins thanks to WalMart and our never ending chase for the absolute lowest price possible... could be maybe

Last I read on NICS is that since the Chinese plague did it's magic, handguns have been 80% of sales. Remington, unfortunately, was too late to the game first for black guns and then handguns. The trigger fiascos didn't help much either.

You can thank the Demcommies, a weak justice system, and the abundance of ambulance chasing lawyers looking to make a fast buck.
The lawyer issue was more of a gutless Pommie investment company, as I recall. A stupid woman carried her Remington 700 (with a round up the spout) from the hunting field, through a crowded car park, into her vehicle, pointed it at her son and shot him. The rifle had corrosion issues, and the trigger had been adjusted from the factory setting BUT the only way that the rifle would fire under testing was via the trigger being pressed. The Pommie board chickened out, instead of calling it what it was, i.e. negligence, endangerment of others and manslaughter.
You accept one false claim, especially such an egregious one; and you encourage other criminals (convicted or otherwise) to come after you and fellow gunmakers. Even the Cobray issue was a nonsense, as it was the job of the ATF to liaise with high volume sellers, instead of wasting time on endless reinterpretation of rules BUT that probably has more to do with the US Congress members’ habit of tagging miscellaneous amendments to various bills than the bureaucracy itself.

Last edited:
I always felt very sorry for that woman for the loss of her son, but it was her fault and nobody elses. I can understand the difficulty in accepting that she killed her own son and the need to place the blame elsewhere to be able to even carry on with life.
Not sure I could carry on if I killed a family member thru negligence of that sort. All mechanical issues real or imagined aside, she pointed a loaded rifle at someone and they died.

I always felt very sorry for that woman for the loss of her son, but it was her fault and nobody elses. I can understand the difficulty in accepting that she killed her own son and the need to place the blame elsewhere to be able to even carry on with life.
Not sure I could carry on if I killed a family member thru negligence of that sort. All mechanical issues real or imagined aside, she pointed a loaded rifle at someone and they died.
Yes. I also sympathise with that woman. A tragic preventable incident. I suspect that it was a combination of fatigue and a lack of properly supervised Range time. One of the things I emphasised when taking people for their firearm licence was that going to a supervised live firing range helps you to catch bad habits before any harm can occur.

Responsibility is responsibility, plain and simple. You do something dumb and it has consequences, in this case tragic and fatal ones, you wear it! How can you 'understand' that they may want to put that on someone else?

I hate the NYT... but they provide a pretty good break down of how this happened...

The private equity firm transfers ALL their debt to Remington’s books so they can walk away from the mess! No wonder Remington couldn’t weather a downturn in gun sales. The company was doomed as soon as the equity firm dumped their debt onto the company.

I hate the NYT... but they provide a pretty good break down of how this happened...

Yes. I also sympathise with that woman. A tragic preventable incident. I suspect that it was a combination of fatigue and a lack of properly supervised Range time. One of the things I emphasised when taking people for their firearm licence was that going to a supervised live firing range helps you to catch bad habits before any harm can occur.

Prior to taking anyone into the field, I make sure to spend some range time with them.
Whether its archery or with firearms.
I look at:
How safe are they with a weapon
How good are they with that weapon
Inspect the weapon to insure it is safe to be used, and is properly maintained
Make sure the sight(s) are set correctly
I am also evaluating the attitude, personality, and experience of the person.
And their knowledge and understanding of hunting regulations.

I'm sure we all have some horror story(ies) or experience(s) with range idiots. Those people who don't need to be near a firearm let alone own one, not only for their safety, but also for the public's safety.

New owner of Oldest Gunmaker in America won’t fix my Gun.

This an email I sent to Rem Arms the new owner of the gun maker portion of Remington.
I have a Remington 870 Express 20 gauge youth shotgun. I am the original owner purchased 20+ years ago. This weekend my great nephew shot his first turkey and after firing the weld at the barrel/magazine ring broke. What it the procedure for having Remington to repair this gun?

After my son outgrew this gun, many children of family and friends have used this shotgun. Just my luck I have a dozen Remingtons

This their response:
Thank you for contacting RemArms, LLC,

RemArms, LLC. is a newly formed entity that acquired the Remington firearms division from Remington Outdoors Company. We are working diligently to obtain all necessary regulatory licenses and become operational. RemArms will be producing Remington branded firearms soon at the historic Ilion, NY facility where Remington has been produced for more than 200 years Our website, www.remarms.com. is now online. Production of legacy Remington firearms is on track to begin in early 2021.

Due to the nature of the acquisition, RemArms LLC. is unable to service existing Remington firearms, honor any warranty or recall offered by the Remington Outdoors Company. As a show of our commitment to the Remington brand and its customers, once we become fully operational, we will do what we can to assist in resolving issues you may have with Remington product purchased through the Remington Outdoors Company.

We hope you appreciate the constraints that limit our ability to take care of firearms or other products made prior to the RemArms LLC acquisition of Remington firearms from the Remington Outdoors Company. In the future we will service product produced by RemArms, utilizing the highest standards available.

If you have any reason to believe that your firearm is not functioning as it is intended, please discontinue its use immediately and take it to a qualified gunsmith for inspection.

Please do not send your firearms to any Remington facility or repair center. If a firearm or other product is shipped to either Remington or a repair center, the delivery will be rejected.

If you seek repair services for your pre-RemArms-LLC “Remington” firearm, below is a list of repair centers who in the past serviced or repaired Remington firearms. Feel free to contact them about your firearm. For avoidance of doubt, these repair centers are completely independent of RemArms and are not RemArms’ agents, contractors, or affiliates. As such, RemArms does not endorse, guarantee, or warranty their work in any way whatsoever, and disclaims any and all liability in connection therewith. Additionally, you will be solely responsible for any charges incurred in connection with their services.

STStore NameAddressPhone / Fax
AKWild West Guns7100 Homer Drive Anchorage, AK 99518Phone:907-344-4500Fax: 907-344-4005
AZSprague's Sports Inc345 W 32nd St Yuma, AZ 85364Phone: 928-726-0022 FAX: 928-344-4708
CAJ & G Gunsmithing7680 Barton Rd. Granite Bay, CA 95746Phone:916-786-9200Fax: 916-772-1932
FLHigher Power Outfitters INC1826 Tamiami Trail, Punta Gorda, FL 33950Phone: 941-347-8445 Fax 941-347-8455
IAScheels All Sport101 Jordan Creek Parkway West Des Moines, IA 50266Phone:515-727-4065Fax: 515-727-4162
ILMann & Son Sporting Goods515 West Water StreetPinckneyville, IL 62274Phone:618-357-2911Fax: 618-357-3658
KYPaducah Shooters Supply3919 Cairo Road Paducah, KY 42001Phone:270-442-3242Phone:877-772-3006 Fax:270-442-5022
MIWilliams Gun Sight7389 Lapeer Road/PO Box 329 Davison, MI 48423Phone:800-530-9028Phone:810-653-2131Fax: 840-658-2140
MIDick Williams Gun Shop, Inc.4985 Cole Road Saginaw, MI 48601Phone:989-777-1240Fax: 989-777-8028
MNAlhman's Inc.9525 West 230th Street Morristown, MN 55052Phone: 507-685-4244 Fax: 507-685-4280
NCB&B Arms9283 US HWY 220Business N, Randleman, NC 27317Phone: 336-339-3199
NVWild West Guns5225 Wynn Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89118Phone: 702-798-4570
NYThe Gunworks of Central New York5366 State Route 31 Verona, NY 13478Phone:315-363-7041Fax: 315-363-1043
OKSports World6841 East 41 Street Tulsa, OK 74145Phone:918-742-4027Fax: 918-742-3981
ORAllison & Carey Gunworks17311 South East Stark Portland, OR 97233Phone: 503-256-5166 No Fax
SCSouthland Gun Works, Inc.1228 Harry Byrd Hwy Darlington, SC 29532Phone:843-393-6291Fax: 843-393-9995
SDScheels All Sport2101 West 41st Street Sioux Falls, SD 57105Phone:605-334-7767Fax: 605-334-8936
VATriton Arms7668 Peppers Ferry Rd, Max Meadows, VA 24360Phone:276-620-8571
UTCarter Gunsmithing938 West Utah Ave Payson UT, 84651801-465-7945

Thank you for your understanding and support of Remington firearms, America’s oldest gunmaker.

Not surprising. Even if they hadnt been sold, they might not work on it due to vintage, or whether or not it was a current offering.
Ruger and S&W are the same way, but at least S&W will work on your gun, but not under warranty if past a certain age.
Ruger will ONLY work on guns in current production. They are not gunsmiths, they are parts assemblers.

There is probably specific language in the acquisition to make sure that the new company didn't bear any obligation to cover things like warranty work. This would also make it unlikely they can offer any service work until they are selling "their" products.
Sounds like they have good intentions once they are fully operational. Let's hope they continue producing, and then servicing, good products at a fair price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg