Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)

Looks like Ruger will end up with Marlin, possibly more as Remington gets taken apart and its various holdings split up.

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
The most interesting part of that article to me is Sierra making the move to purchase Barnes..

Rem buying Barnes a few years back made me nervous.. I was initially concerned about Big Green losing focus on quality control and/or cutting corners... I never saw a change in TSX or TTSX at all though.. they are just as good today as they were the day before Rem bought them...

Hopefully Sierra doesnt try to change anything either.. and just keeps on selling the product(s) as they were originally designed...

Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
The most interesting part of that article to me is Sierra making the move to purchase Barnes..

Rem buying Barnes a few years back made me nervous.. I was initially concerned about Big Green losing focus on quality control and/or cutting corners... I never saw a change in TSX or TTSX at all though.. they are just as good today as they were the day before Rem bought them...

Hopefully Sierra doesnt try to change anything either.. and just keeps on selling the product(s) as they were originally designed...

I also hope the quality of Barnes Bullets don't suffer.

In fact I hope with Sierra purchasing Barnes Bullets, Sierra will become a better company, with better quality bullets. That Sierra Bullets quality will be upgraded from cheap target shooting bullets to actual quality hunting bullets.

But just in case I just ordered another 600 bullets, 200 bullets per caliber, for African game.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
Ug. How in the hell has any American gun maker ended up in bankruptcy much less Remington. Record firearms and firearm related equipment sales have happened year after year and month after month going back to 08. Some seriously poor business decisions and execution must have been made for a long time to end up here. Nothing good can come of this.

Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
Ug. How in the hell has any American gun maker ended up in bankruptcy much less Remington. Record firearms and firearm related equipment sales have happened year after year and month after month going back to 08. Some seriously poor business decisions and execution must have been made for a long time to end up here. Nothing good can come of this.

You can thank the Demcommies, a weak justice system, and the abundance of ambulance chasing lawyers looking to make a fast buck.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
My guess is with an investment firm purchasing the firearms plant in (g)unfriendly NY state, it will move south or west.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa

Razor thin profit margins thanks to WalMart and our never ending chase for the absolute lowest price possible... could be maybe

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Last I read on NICS is that since the Chinese plague did it's magic, handguns have been 80% of sales. Remington, unfortunately, was too late to the game first for black guns and then handguns. The trigger fiascos didn't help much either.

ZG47

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NZDA, NZMSC
Hunted
New Zealand
You can thank the Demcommies, a weak justice system, and the abundance of ambulance chasing lawyers looking to make a fast buck.
The lawyer issue was more of a gutless Pommie investment company, as I recall. A stupid woman carried her Remington 700 (with a round up the spout) from the hunting field, through a crowded car park, into her vehicle, pointed it at her son and shot him. The rifle had corrosion issues, and the trigger had been adjusted from the factory setting BUT the only way that the rifle would fire under testing was via the trigger being pressed. The Pommie board chickened out, instead of calling it what it was, i.e. negligence, endangerment of others and manslaughter.
You accept one false claim, especially such an egregious one; and you encourage other criminals (convicted or otherwise) to come after you and fellow gunmakers. Even the Cobray issue was a nonsense, as it was the job of the ATF to liaise with high volume sellers, instead of wasting time on endless reinterpretation of rules BUT that probably has more to do with the US Congress members’ habit of tagging miscellaneous amendments to various bills than the bureaucracy itself.

Last edited:

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I always felt very sorry for that woman for the loss of her son, but it was her fault and nobody elses. I can understand the difficulty in accepting that she killed her own son and the need to place the blame elsewhere to be able to even carry on with life.
Not sure I could carry on if I killed a family member thru negligence of that sort. All mechanical issues real or imagined aside, she pointed a loaded rifle at someone and they died.

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru

ZG47

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NZDA, NZMSC
Hunted
New Zealand
I always felt very sorry for that woman for the loss of her son, but it was her fault and nobody elses. I can understand the difficulty in accepting that she killed her own son and the need to place the blame elsewhere to be able to even carry on with life.
Not sure I could carry on if I killed a family member thru negligence of that sort. All mechanical issues real or imagined aside, she pointed a loaded rifle at someone and they died.
Yes. I also sympathise with that woman. A tragic preventable incident. I suspect that it was a combination of fatigue and a lack of properly supervised Range time. One of the things I emphasised when taking people for their firearm licence was that going to a supervised live firing range helps you to catch bad habits before any harm can occur.

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Responsibility is responsibility, plain and simple. You do something dumb and it has consequences, in this case tragic and fatal ones, you wear it! How can you 'understand' that they may want to put that on someone else?

CoElkHunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I hate the NYT... but they provide a pretty good break down of how this happened...

The private equity firm transfers ALL their debt to Remington’s books so they can walk away from the mess! No wonder Remington couldn’t weather a downturn in gun sales. The company was doomed as soon as the equity firm dumped their debt onto the company.

Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
I hate the NYT... but they provide a pretty good break down of how this happened...

Yes. I also sympathise with that woman. A tragic preventable incident. I suspect that it was a combination of fatigue and a lack of properly supervised Range time. One of the things I emphasised when taking people for their firearm licence was that going to a supervised live firing range helps you to catch bad habits before any harm can occur.

Prior to taking anyone into the field, I make sure to spend some range time with them.
Whether its archery or with firearms.
I look at:
How safe are they with a weapon
How good are they with that weapon
Inspect the weapon to insure it is safe to be used, and is properly maintained
Make sure the sight(s) are set correctly
I am also evaluating the attitude, personality, and experience of the person.
And their knowledge and understanding of hunting regulations.

I'm sure we all have some horror story(ies) or experience(s) with range idiots. Those people who don't need to be near a firearm let alone own one, not only for their safety, but also for the public's safety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaitlynHas

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...