Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I worked as an international police contractor in Eastern Europe and the Middle East for the last 13 years of my working life. Archaeology and antiquities had always been a big interest/hobby of mine. As such I found myself living and working in the middle of the ancient world. So I took full advantage of it during those 13 years. Obtained a BA degree in maritime studies/archaeology, (all college studies prior to this were in criminal justice). Went on terrestrial and underwater investigations during my cto/vac time. And went to the major museums of the Greek and Roman world. This also took me to the English gun world during several trips I made to London. Back to your original question, I have two Alexander tetradrachms, hardly a collection. 18 months of those 13 years I was gone was in Kurdistan, conquered and ruled by Alexander until his death.
With the potential of being declared a thread hijacker, let me simply jump on board with @sierraone for just a moment.

Ancient coins - like period fine guns, military antiquities, and art are a fascinating area of study. Like you, I became interested when stationed abroad - in our case, a couple of years at the Defense Attache' Office in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. We haunted the souks throughout the Gulf region for rugs, antiquities, and coins. It is a spiritual thing to hold a gun used by three or four generations. It is almost beyond understanding being temporary caretaker of something created and used a hundred generations ago.

My denarii collection runs 200 BC to the death of Marcus Aurelius in 180 AD.

coins1.jpg

coin2.jpg

coins3.jpg

The Greek coinage follows less rhyme or reason.
coins4.jpg

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
With the potential of being declared a thread hijacker, let me simply jump on board with @sierraone for just a moment.

Ancient coins - like period fine guns, military antiquities, and art are a fascinating area of study. Like you, I became interested when stationed abroad - in our case, a couple of years at the Defense Attache' Office in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. We haunted the souks throughout the Gulf region for rugs, antiquities, and coins. It is a spiritual thing to hold a gun used by three or four generations. It is almost beyond understanding being temporary caretaker of something created and used a hundred generations ago.

View attachment 363144

View attachment 363145

View attachment 363146

View attachment 363147
Joe, the auctioneer is going to have a field day at your home upon your passing!!! But you reminded me in your narrative. I have a roughly 3'x5' silk rug made in Iran, but bought in Kurdistan also, valued at many times the price I paid for it. The local markets in those countries are absolutely amazing.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
With the potential of being declared a thread hijacker
I am pretty sure that many members of the Shikar Club, have a mutual interest in these subjects.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
We are all members of a shikar club on the AH forum. Friends @Major Khan, @ Sgt Rahman and Panther Shooter and others have conducted many shikars ( my understanding is it means hunts).
So in the above context we are all members of the great AH Shikar Club. It may not be as glamorous and flashy as the original but it contains a lot of knowledgeable people, some rogues and comedians sorry @ RandyF but I had to include you and one he'll of a lot of good down to earth people that share a love of hunting, weapons and conservation of animal.
I for on am proud and happy to be a member of this great shikar community.
Bob

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Those are some beautiful coins that you have @Red Leg. I have a few myself and the history behind them is cool. Like you said holding a coin that is centuries old is so cool. I have some some older US coinage as well.....
Bruce

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Very cool. As a child, my dad had a pen pal in the Canadian forces in WW11. He sent my dad coins from the countries he was in. Many of those countries don’t exist anymore. Very interesting collection and history.

Jeffrey

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Louisiana, Mississippi
RE: Selous

I had the enormous privilege to put my filthy paws on Mr. Selous's .256 Mannlicher Schönauer. It's held by a family who runs an esteemed hunting concession in Zimbabwe.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

View attachment 363144

View attachment 363145

View attachment 363146

View attachment 363147

Neat...... :D Beers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bamcejaw

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...