The Shikar Club...

I worked as an international police contractor in Eastern Europe and the Middle East for the last 13 years of my working life. Archaeology and antiquities had always been a big interest/hobby of mine. As such I found myself living and working in the middle of the ancient world. So I took full advantage of it during those 13 years. Obtained a BA degree in maritime studies/archaeology, (all college studies prior to this were in criminal justice). Went on terrestrial and underwater investigations during my cto/vac time. And went to the major museums of the Greek and Roman world. This also took me to the English gun world during several trips I made to London. Back to your original question, I have two Alexander tetradrachms, hardly a collection. 18 months of those 13 years I was gone was in Kurdistan, conquered and ruled by Alexander until his death.
With the potential of being declared a thread hijacker, let me simply jump on board with @sierraone for just a moment.

Ancient coins - like period fine guns, military antiquities, and art are a fascinating area of study. Like you, I became interested when stationed abroad - in our case, a couple of years at the Defense Attache' Office in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. We haunted the souks throughout the Gulf region for rugs, antiquities, and coins. It is a spiritual thing to hold a gun used by three or four generations. It is almost beyond understanding being temporary caretaker of something created and used a hundred generations ago.

My denarii collection runs 200 BC to the death of Marcus Aurelius in 180 AD.

coins1.jpg

coin2.jpg

coins3.jpg

The Greek coinage follows less rhyme or reason.
coins4.jpg

With the potential of being declared a thread hijacker, let me simply jump on board with @sierraone for just a moment.

Ancient coins - like period fine guns, military antiquities, and art are a fascinating area of study. Like you, I became interested when stationed abroad - in our case, a couple of years at the Defense Attache' Office in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. We haunted the souks throughout the Gulf region for rugs, antiquities, and coins. It is a spiritual thing to hold a gun used by three or four generations. It is almost beyond understanding being temporary caretaker of something created and used a hundred generations ago.

View attachment 363144

View attachment 363145

View attachment 363146

View attachment 363147
Joe, the auctioneer is going to have a field day at your home upon your passing!!! But you reminded me in your narrative. I have a roughly 3'x5' silk rug made in Iran, but bought in Kurdistan also, valued at many times the price I paid for it. The local markets in those countries are absolutely amazing.

With the potential of being declared a thread hijacker
I am pretty sure that many members of the Shikar Club, have a mutual interest in these subjects.

We are all members of a shikar club on the AH forum. Friends @Major Khan, @ Sgt Rahman and Panther Shooter and others have conducted many shikars ( my understanding is it means hunts).
So in the above context we are all members of the great AH Shikar Club. It may not be as glamorous and flashy as the original but it contains a lot of knowledgeable people, some rogues and comedians sorry @ RandyF but I had to include you and one he'll of a lot of good down to earth people that share a love of hunting, weapons and conservation of animal.
I for on am proud and happy to be a member of this great shikar community.
Bob

Those are some beautiful coins that you have @Red Leg. I have a few myself and the history behind them is cool. Like you said holding a coin that is centuries old is so cool. I have some some older US coinage as well.....
Bruce

Very cool. As a child, my dad had a pen pal in the Canadian forces in WW11. He sent my dad coins from the countries he was in. Many of those countries don’t exist anymore. Very interesting collection and history.

RE: Selous

I had the enormous privilege to put my filthy paws on Mr. Selous's .256 Mannlicher Schönauer. It's held by a family who runs an esteemed hunting concession in Zimbabwe.

View attachment 363144

View attachment 363145

View attachment 363146

View attachment 363147

Neat...... :D Beers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg