The Rigby is here...

CDorroh

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Canada
I suppose this post is overdue, so here it is. In the fall of 2016, I placed an order for a Rigby Big Game with a few options of my choosing. After months of waiting I received it in June. I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, but without further delay;

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg
IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg
IMG_2592.jpg
IMG_2593.jpg
IMG_2596.jpg

I am very pleased with the fit and finish of this rifle, which is without a doubt, the nicest I have ever owned. In the months leading up to it's delivery, I had acquired the Swarovski Z6i 1-6 that you see mounted on it, and some reloading components. I already had several rounds loaded for it with a few different powders. This is my first large bore rifle, if you don't count my Marlin Guide Gun 45/70. So, off to the range I went. All load development grouping was done from my lead sled. I first fired 2 shots at 50 yards to make sure I was close to being on target, then moved to 100 yards to fire my first 3 shot group.

IMG_2598.jpg

Needless to say, I was impressed. I had expected good accuracy, but was not expecting that good right from the start. Here are some more groups, each from a different load.

IMG_2608.jpg
IMG_2607.jpg
IMG_2606.jpg

This is the worst group of the day:

IMG_2609.jpg

4 shots fired off my shooting sticks at 50 yards at a semi-rapid rate:

IMG_2605.jpg

A picture of the rifle on the lead sled at the farm (aka the range). Natural light really brings out the character in the wood.

IMG_2603.JPG

I forgot my chronograph that day, unfortunately. I ended up loading some more of the "104" group and making it back out there, this time with my chronograph. It consistently clocked in right around 2400 fps, with a max spread of about 2393-2411 with a 410g Woodleigh Weldcore. That's going to be my load. These rounds also feed through the action as smooth as butter, even when working the bolt quickly.

This is the most powerful rifle I have ever owned. However, I find it surprisingly pleasant to shoot off sticks. I attribute that to the design of the stock, the weight/balance of the rifle, and how well the Z6i 1-6 Extended Eye relief pairs with the rifle.

It's maiden voyage is going to be a black bear hunt the end of this month. Overkill, yes, but I'm anxious to try it out.

The real test will come in 2019, when I take my first trip to Africa for a cape buffalo hunt. I'm currently looking at guides in Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous Rigby! And what accuracy! I guess you'll be heading to Africa soon to scratch that beauty and give it some in-the-field character!
Congratulations!

Very nice looking rifle! Congrats on the addition, it looks great!

I suppose this post is overdue, so here it is. In the fall of 2016, I placed an order for a Rigby Big Game with a few options of my choosing. After months of waiting I received it in June. I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, but without further delay;

View attachment 199475

View attachment 199476
View attachment 199477 View attachment 199479 View attachment 199480
View attachment 199482 View attachment 199483 View attachment 199484 View attachment 199486

I am very pleased with the fit and finish of this rifle, which is without a doubt, the nicest I have ever owned. In the months leading up to it's delivery, I had acquired the Swarovski Z6i 1-6 that you see mounted on it, and some reloading components. I already had several rounds loaded for it with a few different powders. This is my first large bore rifle, if you don't count my Marlin Guide Gun 45/70. So, off to the range I went. All load development grouping was done from my lead sled. I first fired 2 shots at 50 yards to make sure I was close to being on target, then moved to 100 yards to fire my first 3 shot group.

View attachment 199499

Needless to say, I was impressed. I had expected good accuracy, but was not expecting that good right from the start. Here are some more groups, each from a different load.

View attachment 199503 View attachment 199502 View attachment 199501

This is the worst group of the day:

View attachment 199563

4 shots fired off my shooting sticks at 50 yards at a semi-rapid rate:

View attachment 199562

A picture of the rifle on the lead sled at the farm (aka the range). Natural light really brings out the character in the wood.

View attachment 199500

I forgot my chronograph that day, unfortunately. I ended up loading some more of the "104" group and making it back out there, this time with my chronograph. It consistently clocked in right around 2400 fps, with a max spread of about 2393-2411 with a 410g Woodleigh Weldcore. That's going to be my load. These rounds also feed through the action as smooth as butter, even when working the bolt quickly.

This is the most powerful rifle I have ever owned. However, I find it surprisingly pleasant to shoot off sticks. I attribute that to the design of the stock, the weight/balance of the rifle, and how well the Z6i 1-6 Extended Eye relief pairs with the rifle.

It's maiden voyage is going to be a black bear hunt the end of this month. Overkill, yes, but I'm anxious to try it out.

The real test will come in 2019, when I take my first trip to Africa for a cape buffalo hunt. I'm currently looking at guides in Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Very nice gun congratulations!

Congratulations on owning one of the finest rifles ever created!

Dream rifle for sure!

Congrats, that is a good looking and good shooting rifle!

Great looking rifle! Welcome to the Rigby Club . . . Or should I say addiction!

Beautiful firearm! Congrats sir!

I may have missed it in your post but what caliber is it?

Great looking rifle! I'm saving the pennies for the day I'll be able to order one.

congrats on a beautiful rifle and one of my favorite calibers , I wish you many years of use .

wonderful rifle all the best shooting it

Absolutely gorgeous rifle, congratulations!

Love the case color work. Extraordinary rifle in every way. Congrats.

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle. And it shoots as good as it looks.

Nice rifle.
Congratulations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey75K951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross