Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
Very Nice!!

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
It's all been said so... (y)

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Sweet

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
The aquisition of any rifle is a point of celebration but when it is a rifle like that one then it is even more so.

Buckdog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
that is a beautiful gun sir enjoy.
BUT if i may offer some advice dont shoot it too many times developing loads with alot of weight on the lead sled as i did that with a big bore and the exact same swarovski scope and i ruined the scope about 10 days prior to my hunt this year. fortunantely swarovski is an awesome company and they next day air shipped me a replacement. i wrote a post on it in march or april this yr. see that post and you will see why to be careful with a lead sled. that lighted circle dot reticle stands right out on a nice black buff in the thick:)

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
What a rifle! I'm jealous. Congrats

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Beautiful rifle, and what a shooter! Congratulations

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Beautiful!

Congrats

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Beautiful rifle sir!

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
A beautiful rifle that shoots well, what's not to like.

Dittos on the missing caliber. What powder were you using?

CDorroh

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Canada
Thanks for the many complements.

The caliber is .416 Rigby.

I tried 3 different powders the first day out. IMR7828, RL25, and H4831SC. It liked them all pretty well, but the H4831SC seemed to group just a little bit better than the others.

@Buckdog thanks for the advice about the lead sled. I don't plan on firing too many rounds off the sled, since I'm pretty well done with load development for my softs for now. I'll probably use it again when I start working up a load for solids or if I'm just checking the zero.

JakeH

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA
Beautiful, absolutely stunning rifle. You've truly been blessed to be able to own something like that!

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
A very nice rifle and can it shoot.(y)

I run a load of 98 grains of H4350 (AR2209) in my CZ550 behind the same bullets and get 2450 fps. Try the 400grain Woodleigh Hydro as well. Mine cycles both very well and the fire to same point of impact out to 100mts. I have not tried further. If they print to the same point then you have your soft and solids sorted.

CDorroh

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Canada
A very nice rifle and can it shoot.(y)

I run a load of 98 grains of H4350 (AR2209) in my CZ550 behind the same bullets and get 2450 fps. Try the 400grain Woodleigh Hydro as well. Mine cycles both very well and the fire to same point of impact out to 100mts. I have not tried further. If they print to the same point then you have your soft and solids sorted.

I've got a few packages of 400g Hydro's sitting on the reloading table just for that purpose. I think the 410g Weldcores and 400g Hydro's should have me covered for anything I'll be hunting with this rifle. I still have a few rounds loaded with H4350 that I haven't had an opportunity to try yet. How much did you end up decreasing the powder charge for the Hydro's to get same point of impact?

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Beautiful rifle, you will not find your bear overdead I promise! You will soon realize what a wonderfully useful cartridge the 416 Rigby is. Congratulations on your rifle, I plan on having one myself when I grow up!lol
Cheers,
Cody

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
I've got a few packages of 400g Hydro's sitting on the reloading table just for that purpose. I think the 410g Weldcores and 400g Hydro's should have me covered for anything I'll be hunting with this rifle. I still have a few rounds loaded with H4350 that I haven't had an opportunity to try yet. How much did you end up decreasing the powder charge for the Hydro's to get same point of impact?

Same powder charge. The Weldcores chronied at 2450 fps and the Hydros are 2550 fps. I was going to settle on 96 grains of AR2209 (H4350) velocities were about 50 fps slower but the 98 grains just made both bullets had same mean point of impact not different by a few 10th of an inch and lightly smaller group. From about 7/8" to 3/4", 3 shot group. Yeah I know for a close up rifle you don't need sub MOA groups but it is nice:), and if you go after plains game or camels etc with it then the Rigby is still a 400mt rifle.

I took both my Ele and Buff with the Hydros. Found the buff in some thick vines so went to the Hydro in case I had to shoot through a vine ended up in the open. Only fund the Hydro in the Buff as it was a length ways shoot. Front of chest, top of heart, through pelvic bone and stopped a few inches short of the hide of the rump.

You can run Hydros with the same powder charge as they are bore riders i.e. the groves and projectile are bore diameter. Only the ribs engage the rifling, so do not create the pressure that standard solids do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bush Rat 88

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?