The Old Dog Hunts Again

Wish you a fantastic experience, Paul :D Cheers:

You're hunting with a variable power scope?????? :A Banana Sad:

World is going to hell in a hand basket.... ;)

In all seriousness, enjoy every moment as I know you will! I'm very happy for you and can't wait to read the report.

Hiho Royal,

Yes, what is this world coming to ?

I suppose, on the other hand - a scope is only variable in magnification/power if the hunter suffers a moment of self-doubt and instead of settling down to exhale and press the trigger, he or she rather starts twisting the moving parts on said scope this way or that, LOL.

In all seriousness, thanks and yes; soon after returning I plan to post a series of lengthy, tedious rants, like none before.

Cheerio,
Paul Dog.

Hey Paul,

I'm putting my next hunt on hold for a couple of years as my old dog probably only has that left. Funny you are headed off to Thomas Khomas because that is exactly where I was planning my next adventure. Have a great hunt and I look forward to your report.

So happy for you Paul, but sorry you now must incur the expense of installing a pool and importing a pool boy as I'm sure they are hard to come by in Alaska! None the less I wish you the best. I will be in the Limpopo in August, can't wait!
Cheers,
Cody

Best of luck Velo Dog! I'm sure you will have a great trip. I am also looking forward to your hunt report.

What is that old saying........."Can't teach an Old Dog new tricks"..........:Woot:

Come on........someone had to say it.......:E Horrified:

Congrats! I hope this hunt brings many memories for the years head.

Congratulations on finally getting to go back and best of luck to you guys!

I'm really looking forward to your report as I'm hunting with Philip in November.

Very happy for you Paul....I have not hunted Khomas but I did hunt in the Karas mountains in the south.....very nice scenery and exciting kudu hunt..

As for choice of bullets, as you know I have the same Brno 602 as you....I used 260 grain Nosler Accubond and 235 grain Barnes X in Namibia....both are hell on wheels....you might try them out..

What plainsgame are you looking for..?

Hi Pondoro,

Thank you for the bullet suggestions.

But I am renting the rifle so, I will be using the ammunition that is provided by the PH for it.

It is 250 grain Sierra spitzers at about 2600 fps.

So, this is the load I am training with here at home.

My rifle is exactly the same as the rental, (except that his scope is variable power and mine is a simple 4x) and so, I will be just about as ready as a soul can be when I take up the rented rifle and ammunition.

Just hunting whatever antelopes are common enough there to get a crack at plus, Hartman's zebra, warthog, baboon and jackal.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
So happy for you Paul, but sorry you now must incur the expense of installing a pool and importing a pool boy

1. Is a pool boy even importable to Alaska under CITES?
  2. What about shipping costs?
  3. Better import quick before a ban is enacted. Trump may be good for the Big 5, but pool boys are clearly on his hit list... If the wife wants one she'd better get one now before its too late!

1. Is a pool boy even importable to Alaska under CITES?
  2. What about shipping costs?
  3. Better import quick before a ban is enacted. Trump may be good for the Big 5, but pool boys are clearly on his hit list... If the wife wants one she'd better get one now before its too late!
There you go Royal, pool boys are gonna be like dam 22 ammo now that you hyped it up. Women will start hoarding now!

Awesome, glad your long wait is almost over. looking forward to your report .Forrest

It is with great fortune that I have the opportunity to join you on this trip. I can't thank you enough for allowing me to be a part of one of your Africa hunting trips.

It is still to my surprise that both of our wives have not disowned us due to our passion for adventure and hunting. No one could argue that we both are extremely lucky to have such supportive wives.

Furthermore, I couldn't be thankful enough for the drive that I have inherited from a positive roll model such as yourself to accomplish anything that lights the fire to keep you driven towards something that you thought was nearly impossible(such as taking large game in Africa).

Our hunts together are and always will be memories to cherish for a lifetime.

From the day you taught me to skin my first squirrel to the day you greeted me at your front with half a tear in your eye when I returned from a war...... I have been nothing but proud and full of honor to follow in your footsteps.

Thank you,
Your adrenaline filled thrill seeker son

Lucky bugger , Enjoy!!
A neat part of the world full of wonderfull people .you wont regret your choice .
Cheers Dory .

So glad you're headed back to the dark continent!
Have fun
Philip

It is with great fortune that I have the opportunity to join you on this trip. I can't thank you enough for allowing me to be a part of one of your Africa hunting trips.

It is still to my surprise that both of our wives have not disowned us due to our passion for adventure and hunting. No one could argue that we both are extremely lucky to have such supportive wives.

Furthermore, I couldn't be thankful enough for the drive that I have inherited from a positive roll model such as yourself to accomplish anything that lights the fire to keep you driven towards something that you thought was nearly impossible(such as taking large game in Africa).

Our hunts together are and always will be memories to cherish for a lifetime.

From the day you taught me to skin my first squirrel to the day you greeted me at your front with half a tear in your eye when I returned from a war...... I have been nothing but proud and full of honor to follow in your footsteps.

Thank you,
Your adrenaline filled thrill seeker son

Danny,

Yes, we are most fortunate to have wives who put up with us - LOL.
Normally I might just joke and say "I'd rather be lucky than good".
But, most of the time us humans tend to make our own luck in life and there's perhaps no laughing about that, well sometimes there's no laughing anyway.
I see yours has given you a copy of "Ask The Namibian Guides".
That book has a very fine reputation and I predict that you're going to enjoy it thoroughly.

As far as hunting with me in Africa, I cannot think of anyone that I'd rather toss a cold Windhoek Lager to, at the fire each evening.
I am so releived (gross under statement) that you survived George Bush and Barry Obama's Endless War.
Your civilian career now, is not exactly a cushy safe environment either but, at least they aren't shooting at you - quite as often anyway.
You are the best of the best.
If I am as you say, a good role model, it's because you and your brother make me want to be a better father.

We're going to have a huge time "warming up" on Hawaiian piggy wiggy and then before you know it, off to Namibia.

Cheers,
Your old Pops.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amparo8634

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.