The 243 Winchester for Australian Game

Thanks go to Bob for a great weekend. Plenty of deer to see but as reported by Bob very variable winds. We manage to avoid all the heavy rains and walk 20 odd ks over 3 sessions. I look forward to the next hunt. Might bring more bread or a handbag
@Peterwho
You don't need a handbag or bread mate. A simple rebarrel to 250 Savage or 358 Winchester would do. Failing that bring one of your real guns like the 9.3x62 or the 404J. Overkill yes but who cares.
With the way ammo prices are going it might be cheaper to rebarrel.
Bob

My "Mule" is returning from Australia in August with 2x 1.125L Overproof and two of the big jars of Vegemite.
I like some variation from Marmite and Bovril.
@shark_za
Don't need a mule mate you can take it out legally

I’ve taken all of my African “Tiny Ten” with this caliber and I couldn’t be more pleased with it. Also a lot of Roe deer in Europe.
@Hunter Habib
I'm glad someone is happy with it. I still think it's a pos.
Bob

I got it, Bobby! You tried to down a Cape buffalo with one, didn’t you? That’s why you hate it so much.
@Hunter Habib.
The only way I would try and down a Cape buffalo with one is keep beating it in the head with the but until it died laughing.
Hate it because of hyped up bullshit advertising and seen to much wounded game by Muppet using the wrong projectiles. Because bullet A killed a goat once it's a good bullet. Bullshit they were lucky once that's why you are wounding game now because you need a better bullet.
Bob

Methinks the Bob doth protest too much

Methinks the Bob doth protest too much
@shootist~
I doth protest not enough about that horrible little round. It should be removed from the shelves as a so called hunting cartridge. The only use for that round is to use it to neck up to a real caliber from 25 to 358. I can't think of a more useless round than the 243.
Bob

@shootist~
I doth protest not enough about that horrible little round. It should be removed from the shelves as a so called hunting cartridge. The only use for that round is to use it to neck up to a real caliber from 25 to 358. I can't think of a more useless round than the 243.
Bob
Bobby, I'm coming to Australia next year. I'll arm myself with a BSA Majestic in .243 Winchester and a couple of boxes of Winchester 100Gr Power Points. You just point me to the game. I'll bag it for you and show you how it's done ! If I need more than one round per game, I'll treat you dinner at a steakhouse of your choice. If I succeed, you'll spend the next one year singing praises of the .243 Winchester on this forum.

What say you?

Bobby, I'm coming to Australia next year. I'll arm myself with a BSA Majestic in .243 Winchester and a couple of boxes of Winchester 100Gr Power Points. You just point me to the game. I'll bag it for you and show you how it's done ! If I need more than one round per game, I'll treat you dinner at a steakhouse of your choice. If I succeed, you'll spend the next one year singing praises of the .243 Winchester on this forum.

What say you?
Oooooooh...damn. Laying down the gauntlet!!!

What say you?

The immi department says “we regret to inform you your visa was revoked”

On a serious note when are you planning to come? Bob, Chris (@CBH Australia)and I were trying to organise a catch up last Christmas but covid got in the way and I got quarantined (but not sick). I won’t be back this Christmas but mid year sometime would be good. Keep me in the loop perhaps we can do a big AH catch up.

Bob, 243 is a not bad round for commercial roo harvesting. Then again headshots are required.

What say you?
@Hunter Habib
I will never sing the praises of the 243 there ain't nought to praise it about. I have even seen a mate use federal blue box ammo loaded with either a 90 or 95gn soft point bullet. Failed to kill a large kangaroo with one well placed chest shot at less than 100 yards. 3 shots eventually killed it. The projectiles failed to expand and just drilled neat little holes straight thru it.
When you come to Australia leave you 243 at home and come and pick up my 25 for use while you are here.
You would be happier using it with a 100gn TTSX at over 3,600fps.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg