The 243 Winchester for Australian Game

The immi department says “we regret to inform you your visa was revoked”

On a serious note when are you planning to come? Bob, Chris (@CBH Australia)and I were trying to organise a catch up last Christmas but covid got in the way and I got quarantined (but not sick). I won’t be back this Christmas but mid year sometime would be good. Keep me in the loop perhaps we can do a big AH catch up.

Bob, 243 is a not bad round for commercial roo harvesting. Then again headshots are required.
@Opposite Pole
If the 243 was such a good roo cartridge why do 99% of pro roo shooters use the 223 loaded with the Sierra 55gn spbt game king marketed as roo load and available in 1000 count boxes for reloading.
Bob

@Hunter Habib
I will never sing the praises of the 243 there ain't nought to praise it about. I have even seen a mate use federal blue box ammo loaded with either a 90 or 95gn soft point bullet. Failed to kill a large kangaroo with one well placed chest shot at less than 100 yards. 3 shots eventually killed it. The projectiles failed to expand and just drilled neat little holes straight thru it.
When you come to Australia leave you 243 at home and come and pick up my 25 for use while you are here.
You would be happier using it with a 100gn TTSX at over 3,600fps.
Bob
Come now, Bobby. No chickening out. Accept the challenge. Fine, it’ll buy you one hundred bullets (of your choice) for your .35 Whelen if I fail. Alongside the steakhouse treat.
If I win, you will have to spend the next one year posting the following on every .243 Winchester related thread:
”Hi, I’m Bob Nelson and I fully endorse the .243 Winchester. It’s my favorite!”

Last edited:
The immi department says “we regret to inform you your visa was revoked”

On a serious note when are you planning to come? Bob, Chris (@CBH Australia)and I were trying to organise a catch up last Christmas but covid got in the way and I got quarantined (but not sick). I won’t be back this Christmas but mid year sometime would be good. Keep me in the loop perhaps we can do a big AH catch up.

Bob, 243 is a not bad round for commercial roo harvesting. Then again headshots are required.
I’d love to! My son lives in Tasmania (half the year when he isn’t living here) and I plan to come next year in Autumn, perhaps. The BSA Majestic I mentioned is actually one of his rifles. We can have a big barbecue and a few beers (I love good old Aussie Stout) at his place. My treat. And all of us can deafen Bobby with stories about the SAINTLY .243 …

@Opposite Pole
If the 243 was such a good roo cartridge why do 99% of pro roo shooters use the 223 loaded with the Sierra 55gn spbt game king marketed as roo load and available in 1000 count boxes for reloading.
Bob

Cause the harvest code calls fo head shots and so 223 is more than up to the task. Spotlighting, so 99.9% of roo harvest, 22WMR does well too.

I have to agree with you bob. I have seen too many 100 pound white tails run 500 yards with a 243 through both lungs. A great coyote, rabbit and crow cartridge. Give me a 7mm08, almost the same recoil and much better animal killer.

I’d love to! My son lives in Tasmania (half the year when he isn’t living here) and I plan to come next year in Autumn, perhaps. The BSA Majestic I mentioned is actually one of his rifles. We can have a big barbecue and a few beers (I love good old Aussie Stout) at his place. My treat. And all of us can deafen Bobby with stories about the SAINTLY .243 …

Well, autumn hunt down in Tassie sounds pretty good to me. We could chase Fallow in state forests and or crown land, just need to apply for tags in advance. Time it right and we could go after ducks too.

I have to agree with you bob. I have seen too many 100 pound white tails run 500 yards with a 243 through both lungs. A great coyote, rabbit and crow cartridge. Give me a 7mm08, almost the same recoil and much better animal killer.

Just to clear something up. I am not a 243 advocate or promoter and at the same token not a 243 critic. My principles are simple - game should only ever be shot with adequate cartridge by a competent shot. Wanna have fun plinking? Go to the gun range. However, there are game animals out there whose size warrants a .17 pill and there are some that need a .4 and up. I don’t oppose, and have myself shot game with overkill guns - 375H&H on rabbits for instance. However, while obviously way over any sort of rational necessity the animals I killed died instantly without suffering. This must be the goal for all of us. “Underkill” on the other hand is plain barbaric. 243 has its place in hunting though the place surey is not big game.

Stout, yes please

If required I can source or load .243 ammo for you if we were able to meet up.

Correct the harvest code calls fo head shots and so 223 is more than up to the task. Spotlighting, so 99.9% of roo harvest, 22WMR does well too.
Jakub, you are correct. There are rules regarding minimum diameter and velocity. I don't think .22mag meets the current requirements.
The .223 does it nicely as Bob said and there are many cost effective load options available in .223.
.222 was phased out when the .223 became readily available but it was quite popular for a time.
The .243 has been used. Arthur Langsford of Myra's Sports Store developed a .243Myra that was used by professional Roo shooters . A .243 projectile from a .222 case.

Well known Aussie gun writer Nick Harvey used a .270 to harvest Roos and wore out something like 7 barrels in that rifle for too shooting.

My name Is Chris aka. CBH Australia I fully endorse the 7mm-08 as a great and versatile round for Australia and can also state that my wife has successfully shot pigs and killed them with a .243.

Stout, yes please

Jakub, you are correct. There are rules regarding minimum diameter and velocity. I don't think .22mag meets the current requirements.
The .223 does it nicely as Bob said and there are many cost effective load options available in .223.
.222 was phased out when the .223 became readily available but it was quite popular for a time.
The .243 has been used. Arthur Langsford of Myra's Sports Store developed a .243Myra that was used by professional Roo shooters . A .243 projectile from a .222 case.

Well known Aussie gun writer Nick Harvey used a .270 to harvest Roos and wore out something like 7 barrels in that rifle for too shooting.

My name Is Chris aka. CBH Australia I fully endorse the 7mm-08 as a great and versatile round for Australia and can also state that my wife has successfully shot pigs and killed them with a .243.
+1 on stout!

Stout, yes please

The standard minimum requirement for Red roo is centerfire .204 40grain or .224 50 grain. For Wallabies it’s 22lr, 17HMR, 22WMR.

However, under „special circumstances” even a 17HMR can be used on Reds.

Attachments

• 20-126-digital.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 47
The standard minimum requirement for Red roo is centerfire .204 40grain or .224 50 grain. For Wallabies it’s 22lr, 17HMR, 22WMR.

However, under „special circumstances” even a 17HMR can be used on Reds.

Anyways, would you be up for a trip down to Tassie in the autumn? This is a long shot but if we managed to allign everything I could maybe organise for us to sail back from Tasmania to Sydney. A beautiful trip. I can’t promise I can get it done, but it is not out of the question. The sail would be 3-4 days of casual sailing with a stop in Bermagui, but the weather has to be right. Unlike summer time, the autumn down there is typically defined by a lovely, predictable anticyclone system, however every year is different and I was once stuck in Hobart for two weeks in March trying to get a 24 hr window to get through Bass straight.

Bobby, I'm coming to Australia next year. I'll arm myself with a BSA Majestic in .243 Winchester and a couple of boxes of Winchester 100Gr Power Points. You just point me to the game. I'll bag it for you and show you how it's done ! If I need more than one round per game, I'll treat you dinner at a steakhouse of your choice. If I succeed, you'll spend the next one year singing praises of the .243 Winchester on this forum.

What say you?
I would love to see that.

@Opposite Pole
Bob
Cost & barrel life.

Come now, Bobby. No chickening out. Accept the challenge. Fine, it’ll buy you one hundred bullets (of your choice) for your .35 Whelen if I fail. Alongside the steakhouse treat.
If I win, you will have to spend the next one year posting the following on every .243 Winchester related thread:
”Hi, I’m Bob Nelson and I fully endorse the .243 Winchester. It’s my favorite!”
@Hunter Habib
Even if you offered me half a million dollars I couldn't sing the praises of the 243.
Me doing that is akin to a used car salesman selling a lemon and bragging how good it is. My conscience just won't let me do it.
I'm glad it's one of your favourites and enjoy using it but it never was and never will be a cartridge I could like or endorse.
Bob

Anyways, would you be up for a trip down to Tassie in the autumn? This is a long shot but if we managed to allign everything I could maybe organise for us to sail back from Tasmania to Sydney. A beautiful trip. I can’t promise I can get it done, but it is not out of the question. The sail would be 3-4 days of casual sailing with a stop in Bermagui, but the weather has to be right. Unlike summer time, the autumn down there is typically defined by a lovely, predictable anticyclone system, however every year is different and I was once stuck in Hobart for two weeks in March trying to get a 24 hr window to get through Bass straight.
If you are asking me I could be interested.
As for anything it's just if I can do it at the time as I have a bit planned and my daughter is getting married in Adelaide late next year. Limited leave and alignment to your timeline to consider.

Sailing, I've never even considered it but life's about new experiences or if not I could try plan my travel to line up for a couple of days.

Stout, yes please

@
Stout, yes please

@CBH Australia
Chris there's only one stout in my book and that is the original Guiness. Irish mothers milk, sll good Irishman were raised on it. The Australian stuff isn't bad but they stopped making Hannans stout at Kalgoorlie. It was the closest to Guiness.
Bob.
Sitting around the campfire sing the praise of the 243 ain't my cup of Bundy. You may as well be standing around holding hands singing Kum bye ah...
Sitting around telling lies and exaggerated hunting stories is more fun. I remember the time I dropped a nice fallow doe at 100 yard with a 177 cal bsa air rifle. That sort of thing.
Bob

I would love to see that.
@rdog
Don't hold your breath mate it ain't gunna happen. Remember you wanted to show me your 243 but I declined. You even wanted a photo of me holding it but that will NEVER happen. If you collapsed while hunting with the 243 I would carry you out but leave the 243 there as compost. Metal turns to iron oxide after a while and is good for plants.
Bob

Bobby, I'm coming to Australia next year. I'll arm myself with a BSA Majestic in .243 Winchester and a couple of boxes of Winchester 100Gr Power Points. You just point me to the game. I'll bag it for you and show you how it's done ! If I need more than one round per game, I'll treat you dinner at a steakhouse of your choice. If I succeed, you'll spend the next one year singing praises of the .243 Winchester on this forum.

What say you?
@Hunter Habib
As long as it's not one of those horrible abominations of a BSA Majestic with the inbuilt muzzle brake. It's the worst thing BSA did. Took a beautiful rifle and built a muzzle brake in as part of the barrel then chambered it in 243 a complete stuff up. A friend had one and every time he fired it chickens went off the lay for a week and the cows stopped giving milk for 3 days for 5 Mike around his hunting area.
He cured the muzzle brake with a hacksaw but that still left him with a short barreled UGLY little 243.
The non muzzle brake BSA is a nice rifle tho.
Bob.

@
@CBH Australia
Chris there's only one stout in my book and that is the original Guiness. Irish mothers milk, sll good Irishman were raised on it. The Australian stuff isn't bad but they stopped making Hannans stout at Kalgoorlie. It was the closest to Guiness.
Bob.
Sitting around the campfire sing the praise of the 243 ain't my cup of Bundy. You may as well be standing around holding hands singing Kum bye ah...
Sitting around telling lies and exaggerated hunting stories is more fun. I remember the time I dropped a nice fallow doe at 100 yard with a 177 cal bsa air rifle. That sort of thing.
Bob
+1 on Guiness! This thread has made me thirsty! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanSiebenh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross