The 243 Winchester for Australian Game

Anyways, would you be up for a trip down to Tassie in the autumn? This is a long shot but if we managed to allign everything I could maybe organise for us to sail back from Tasmania to Sydney. A beautiful trip. I can’t promise I can get it done, but it is not out of the question. The sail would be 3-4 days of casual sailing with a stop in Bermagui, but the weather has to be right. Unlike summer time, the autumn down there is typically defined by a lovely, predictable anticyclone system, however every year is different and I was once stuck in Hobart for two weeks in March trying to get a 24 hr window to get through Bass straight.
@Opposite Pole
Sounds like a plan but I get sea sick in a bath tub. I like good old Terra firma, the more firma the less terror. Boats and me are like 243s and me, a combination that never ends well. Now If'n you were to drive up from Melbourne to Sydney that could be a different story.

@Hunter Habib
As long as it's not one of those horrible abominations of a BSA Majestic with the inbuilt muzzle brake. It's the worst thing BSA did. Took a beautiful rifle and built a muzzle brake in as part of the barrel then chambered it in 243 a complete stuff up. A friend had one and every time he fired it chickens went off the lay for a week and the cows stopped giving milk for 3 days for 5 Mike around his hunting area.
He cured the muzzle brake with a hacksaw but that still left him with a short barreled UGLY little 243.
The non muzzle brake BSA is a nice rifle tho.
Bob.
You'll be half sad, Bobby. Muzzle brake's been cut off. But it's still the DIVINE .243 Winchester.

Now that we are on the subject of Stout, make sure you try yourself a Cooper's Best Extra Stout.
Not like a Guinness but I like it.
Tried Guinness in cans, bottles and on tap. It's nice and different to Cooper's but a different style of stout to I guess.
There is also a Wheat Sheaf Stout I've seen around and tried. I think that was good, would definitely remember if it was on the do not buy again list so yeah, it's worth a try and I will drink that again.

Now that we are on the subject of Stout, make sure you try yourself a Cooper's Best Extra Stout.
Not like a Guinness but I like it.
Tried Guinness in cans, bottles and on tap. It's nice and different to Cooper's but a different style of stout to I guess.
There is also a Wheat Sheaf Stout I've seen around and tried. I think that was good, would definitely remember if it was on the do not buy again list so yeah, it's worth a try and I will drink that again.
I've always enjoyed a Murphy's Irish Stout. Much like Guinness, but a smoother more creamy taste. Coffee and toffee finishing notes. Sometimes it can be hard to find because it's not nearly as popular as Guinness, but totally worth looking for.
1659863888630.png

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen About time you constructed an effigy of the .243 Winchester cartridge, tied it to a stake and built a bonfire around it? :) :unsure: :A Stirring: :D Cheers: I would pay for the diesel to get it started!
Ya see, this is exactly what we don't need. Throwing diesel on an already burning fire. It's too easy. Let @Bob Nelson 35Whelen have a breather and get his blood pressure down before we rial him back up.

Just kidding, I'm good for $20 of that petrol!!!

Last edited:
I've always enjoyed a Murphy's Irish Stout. Much like Guinness, but a smoother more creamy taste. Coffee and toffee finishing notes. Sometimes it can be hard to find because it's not nearly as popular as Guinness, but totally worth looking for.
View attachment 481654
Not sure I've seen that one.
I will look out for it. Might be worth travelling for.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen About time you constructed an effigy of the .243 Winchester cartridge, tied it to a stake and built a bonfire around it? :) :unsure: :A Stirring: :D Cheers: I would pay for the diesel to get it started!
@ZG47
DIESEL is to hard to ignite.
If I could get hold of a few pound of tennerite that would be real fun.
A big pile if 243s on a few pound of tennerite at 100 yards.. one shot with a fast 25 and BOOOOM nomore horrible little 243s
Bob

@ZG47
A big pile if 243s on a few pound of tennerite at 100 yards.. one shot with a fast 25 and BOOOOM nomore horrible little 243s
Bob
Look at what you have done to poor old Bob, he needs to start his medication again, 2 6mm 75 grain pills twice a day until he feels better. I think he has lost the plot.

Look at what you have done to poor old Bob, he needs to start his medication again, 2 6mm 75 grain pills twice a day until he feels better. I think he has lost the plot.
@rdog
Never had the plot mate. I've been unhinged about the 243 since it dethroned the magic 25s with their advertising crap.
At least with the little 250 Savage what they said was what you got, not pie in the sky over exaggerated velocities that Winchester gave and then had to revise down.
Even the old Riverbrand and Super 303/25 gave real velocities they didn't pretend it was something it wasn't
If you buy a V8 mustang that's what you want but you end up with a 4 or 6 cylinder and they say it's as good as the V8 then someone is pissing in your pocket and telling you it's raining.
That's what Winchester did with the 243.

@ZG47
Bob
I am not going to pass on what I learned as a sapper, in regard to improvised fuses, low explosive and high explosive BUT it is good to see that Bob is now a hippity, hoppity, happy CURMUDGEON! :A Stirring::A Banana::D Beers::W Machine Guns:

@Hunter Habib.
The only way I would try and down a Cape buffalo with one is keep beating it in the head with the but until it died laughing.
Hate it because of hyped up bullshit advertising and seen to much wounded game by Muppet using the wrong projectiles. Because bullet A killed a goat once it's a good bullet. Bullshit they were lucky once that's why you are wounding game now because you need a better bullet.
Bob
hAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! YES IT IS!!!

Ya see, this is exactly what we don't need. Throwing diesel on an already burning fire. It's too easy. Let @Bob Nelson 35Whelen have a breather and get his blood pressure down before we rial him back up.

Just kidding, I'm good for $20 of that petrol!!!
@BeeMaa
20 dollars worth of petrol nowdays wouldn't get you to the end of a short street the way prices are going.

@Hunter Habib.
The only way I would try and down a Cape buffalo with one is keep beating it in the head with the but until it died laughing.
Hate it because of hyped up bullshit advertising and seen to much wounded game by Muppet using the wrong projectiles. Because bullet A killed a goat once it's a good bullet. Bullshit they were lucky once that's why you are wounding game now because you need a better bullet.
Bob
Had to dig back a ways to this reply, but I have to ask is someone using the wrong bullet really the cartridges fault? Shouldn't it be the hunter/ shooters fault?
Would using the 235gr Speer .375 bullet on a cape buffalo & seeing it fail miserably be the cartridges fault? Wouldn't it be the shooters fault?
Ok, that's all the oil I'm going to throw on this fire.
Fire away boys!

Has anyone else realized how much fun we could have by getting @Bob Nelson 35Whelen good and drunk on his beloved Bundy and then tying a box of .243 ammo to his belt so it would follow him around? I can only imagine the antics that would ensue. He'd probably burn the entire camp to the ground trying to rid the earth of the 6mm scourge, but we'd laugh for days.

Had to dig back a ways to this reply, but I have to ask is someone using the wrong bullet really the cartridges fault? Shouldn't it be the hunter/ shooters fault?
Would using the 235gr Speer .375 bullet on a cape buffalo & seeing it fail miserably be the cartridges fault? Wouldn't it be the shooters fault?
Fire away boys!

it has a lot to do with shot placement as well ;)

these links go to one of my favourite videos ever "The Great Australian Buffalo Hunt" where they use a 308 with solid projectiles to one shot kill our Buff in Australia professionally
l would not say that that recipe is what anyone would recommend but it shows that the wrong projectile can be used if the shot placement is right

Fire away boys!
@F. Vaccaro
Agreed but it is the fault of the cartridge developers telling people its the best thing since button up boots and sliced bread. It wasn't the cartridge Winchester cracked it up to be and even they had to revise their velocities DOWN.
To me performance talks bullshit walks. Never have and never will like the 243.

Has anyone else realized how much fun we could have by getting @Bob Nelson 35Whelen good and drunk on his beloved Bundy and then tying a box of .243 ammo to his belt so it would follow him around? I can only imagine the antics that would ensue. He'd probably burn the entire camp to the ground trying to rid the earth of the 6mm scourge, but we'd laugh for days.
@Forrest Halley
I would never get that pissed mate.
Many have tried and a few have died with shit like that.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

@F. Vaccaro
Agreed but it is the fault of the cartridge developers telling people its the best thing since button up boots and sliced bread. It wasn't the cartridge Winchester cracked it up to be and even they had to revise their velocities DOWN.
To me performance talks bullshit walks. Never have and never will like the 243.
l have to totally agree with this statement Bob "performance talks bullshit walks"

Great all rounder.....I use mine to take foxes and wild dogs as it has the legs to reach out. Took a Sambar stag on my property a few years back, thought I was taking a spiker but after dropping him on the spot turned out he was a full grown stag with malformed antlers. Of course bullet placement is everything but it can hit hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!