TANZANIA: Northern Masailand Hunt With Kilombero North Safaris

Thank you for sharing, nice report. Lesser kudu is on our someday list.

I hope you eventually got the gnu, its the white bearded. You need that for an eventual Slam. Only place you find them.
I see mention of the coffee there. Agree, its the best coffee I have ever had. Very distinctive flavor. My wife and I called it Tanzania dirt coffee. Very earthy flavored.
A company called Sweet Unity Farms used to sell it stateside.

Keep it coming, enjoying the heck out of your safari. What a beautiful place, love the picture with the Kilimanjaro in the back ground. Priceless!

Man, I didn't realize those Grants were that big. Looks to me like about 150 lbs or so?

Great write up!!!

So funny a 300WM on a dik dik! You’d think if the bullet just got close the shock wave would kill the little things! :ROFLMAO:

Keep it coming, enjoying the heck out of your safari. What a beautiful place, love the picture with the Kilimanjaro in the back ground. Priceless!

Man, I didn't realize those Grants were that big. Looks to me like about 150 lbs or so?

I think they are about 150 to 180. This one I think was close to 180 but he had a bigger than usual body on him as well.

So funny a 300WM on a dik dik! You’d think if the bullet just got close the shock wave would kill the little things! :ROFLMAO:
Yeah the exit side wasn't great. Felt a little bad but I am sure he didn't feel a think. Obviously, in the mount he will turned a certain way to maximize the good side of the cape.

Certainly living up to your namesake. Great trophies and an experience to cherish forever.

Day 9

Got up around 5 am, due to time difference many of the baseball games were still ongoing or finishing up when I woke up. I would get enough signal to get scores but not much else. This was pretty much the only news I got for the week. It is amazing how simple life can be and how much BS and nonsense is in the news that you think you need to know. I think this is also part of the appeal and why we are able to relax on safaris.

Well breakfast was the standard scramble eggs and sausage and couple of cups of coffee. Drive around and we are not seeing anything. We come across the impala group from yesterday afternoon and the 23 incher isn’t with them. What the heck happen! We go a little further and the elephants are on the move. We get some video and follow them around. Pretty cool to just watch them. We are about 70 yards away and a cow breaks off and mock charges us. Pretty cool, but think the Maasai have been harassing them to keep them out of their crops. They seem a bit on edge and my guess as more elephant come into the area, it is only going to get worse.

We finally find the 23 incher and he is in with a bunch of Grants and decided he wasn’t going to wait around for us to look him over again. We keep going and find a bunch of ewes with a vey young ram. What the hell, where are the big guys? Well as we sit there and watch, a big guy came out to run the young ram off. So we get out of the truck and start to stalk. Well the big guy is running off the young one and then rounding up the ewes. So they don’t really care that we are there but they are moving. There is some very thick cover (this is why we never got a good look at the big guy yesterday) and we are afraid this chase might lead into the thick stuff. So we are positioning ourselves so there is no way they can get to the thick stuff without going by us. The big guy is pretty distinct as his tips flare out. We are zig zagging and getting on sticks and off sticks. The wind is really blowing, sustained 25 mph winds and some gusts as well. Not ideal shooting conditions and we seem to keep getting to about 250 yards and they run off chasing each other. We finally think we are ahead of them and there is big ram feeding, 150 yards away, perfect, on the sticks and at the same time we go that is not the same ram. There is actually 2 rams, mature one 23 inches and one 21 inches or so but both are good mass and heavy. The tips don’t flare so where is our guy? Our guys is in the middle of the ewes and trying to keep them round up and they are heading right to the two satellite rams.

So now the big guy, is rounding up ewes, chasing off the little buck and running at these guys. I am trying to get on the sticks and find him in all of this running around chaos. Looks like he is going to come across and opening and we whistle. Well it took too long and stopped behind a bush. He chases some more and starts to come back. We whistle again. He stops, broadside, 175 yards, and it is windy….breath and squeeze. At the shot all hell breaks loose and we have Impala running every which away. I heard a thwack but it sounded off…he ran but I lost him in with the others. Wonder why he didn’t drop…was my shot off…a little bit of doubt starts to creep in.

As we walk up and get a different angle, we see him. He only went 15 yards and was the only animal I didn’t have drop in his tracks. He was hit perfectly, smack in the middle of both shoulders. No idea why he didn’t drop other that maybe he was keyed up from chasing and wanting to fight.

I got to spend some time with my Impala as Quintin went back to get the truck. We had probably wandered about a mile away. He played a joke on the game scout and tracker saying, that I got impatient, and he told me to wait but I got confused a shot a young ram, maybe 10 inches. They both said, no not Mr. Mike. He would not do that, I was Mr. One Shot and that it couldn’t happen. Quintin said Mike killed it in one shot but it was the wrong one. They still believe him. When the truck pulled up both of them busted up laughing and I wasn’t 100% sure why, I was then told the story and that they knew Quintin had to be trying to trick them. It made me feel really good, that they had that much confidence in me and my shooting. Probably the nicest compliment that has been given to me while. (In all fairness, my shooting is usually not this good).

The big guy, wasn’t the big guy of lore, but he was the biggest guy we had seen. He measured 24 ½ which is representative for East African. But I couldn’t be happier, Impala have been a bit of a nemesis for me and I hunted hard for this guy.

Lunch was Spurfowl curry, it was good but had to pick a pellet or two out. The rest of the day I pretty much took pictures. This was good, as I could show people something other dead animals. We came back to camp early, and Quintin said they had 5 shells if I wanted to go shoot some Spurfowl. I thought that was a great idea, just took off walking from camp.

I shot a couple and then heard the sound of a truck coming, I could see it was Bruce’s truck and I started walking back to camp. They are back before dark…so either they got a kudu or something is wrong. I was really excited as I figured it was, they got a kudu. But I didn’t want to be too excited just in case. As they are making the final turn, I can start to see the smiles and get the thumbs up! Bruce had got his kudu! It was awesome and has a similar shape to mine. I think if we put them side by side we would be surprised how identical they look.

We had Impala fried steak and it was delicious. It was a busy night as we got to see Mary Ann’s photos and they are amazing, there are people that have talent and she is one of them. She also had a picture of my Impala which is pretty cool. We then had the doctor come and do the COVID test. Easy peasy and bed by 10 pm.

20210629_092553.jpg

20210629_092653.jpg

Day 10 and 11

Up at 7 for breakfast. We pretty much drove around looking for Tommies, I told Quintin if we see one that is 16, I will shoot it (as an idea of how rare this is, there have only been 3 total close to 16 inches shot in both concessions in probably the last 20 years). They were rutting, so they pretty much run around in circles chasing each other. Pretty cool to just watch them and I really enjoyed it. But I think I would be awful on a photo safari, because all I want to do is try to score them and figure out how we could stalk them. Just something about being a hunter I guess.

We also went around and looked at big volcanic rocks and explored the little caves in them. Pretty cool. Every time we got out of the truck, I would kick up dust and all I could think of was how do I get back here.

COVID test came back negative and it was electronic, so now we had to get a paper copy…always something.

Lunch was Spurfowl and Lesser Kudu steaks.

The afternoon, we went to look for one old Tommie we saw off by himself. I think we found him but he didn’t look as big. He looked like a monster before. Oh so well. I then got my big camera out and tried to get some pictures of Lesser Kudu. I screwed up and had my flash on and they didn’t really like that at 30 yards. I did get some pictures but nothing great and got some good pictures of Dik Dik. Took some pictures of the mountains and I butchered trying to get pictures of the sunset.

One last time around the campfire. A lot of reflecting on the trip.

The next morning we took a final ride to look for Tommies, but no luck. Just enjoying the ride and seeing the sun rise. Something 4 days earlier I would have totally took for granted I was just trying to soak it all in. Tips are paid and good byes are said, packed up and quick shower and we are headed to the airport.

Travel

We are only an hour away from the airport, we have to stop and get paper copies of our Negative COVID tests. Once there at the airport, we do the COVID thing, then they immediately screen our luggage, and then we go off to the side with gun and ammo. Then we get someone to look at them and verify the serial numbers. Then we go in line and then we get the gun forms, then we need to get 3 signatures. Then we need to get our passported stamped and come back to put the form in the case. Then we go through security. It took a while, and it was a bit of a cluster. I was able to buy 2 souvenirs, then we were boarding. Oh so well. It was quick flight with beautiful views. Try to sit on the right side of the plane if you ever do this trip.

Ethiopia, no one is waiting for us. And everyone keeps passes us off. We are told to wait in the business lounge and someone will come get us. They finally do, underground we go and in 5 minutes time we are good to go. For whatever reason they wanted to see my original 4457. But it is uneventful, just a pain.

I say goodbye to Bruce and MaryAnn, as I am soon headed to Dulles. Business Lounge has been updated and is much nicer than 4 years ago. Business class on the plane is a bit dated but I got to lie flat and I slept a lot (so not the most exciting report there).

Landing in Dulles I did get lucky. I was at the back of the people mover to customs and when we unloaded for customs, like lemmings off the cliff the whole plane decided to go to the crew lane and was all backed up trying to figure out where to go. I came out and walked to the US citizen lane and was the first one in line and the first one through. They had my gun, and took 5 minutes to check serial numbers and off I went. My ammo in my check luggage was just sitting with the rest of the luggage. It was pretty painless or maybe I am just getting use to it.

Pictures are below are of some of the Volcanic Rocks and Caves. Kind of wild.

20210630_094823.jpg
20210630_095157.jpg
20210630_095438.jpg

Final Thoughts

I would like to think this is the best Safari I ever had. But I think that discounts how good my other trips have been and how lucky I have been. I think I enjoyed this one more, seems like I kind of know the drill and know what gear matters and I can be a little more relaxed. Also with 10 days, in my mind we had plenty of time to get the animals I wanted, and I got to really enjoy the hunt aspect. So maybe I was more relaxed. I was also traveling/hunting with Bruce and we just click when we are hunting together. I also think life is starting to catch up to me, with family and work obligations, I can feel my time, finances, and energy getting squeezed a bit (being an adult sucks sometimes). I might have taken more time to “smell the roses” than I usually do and maybe appreciate the fact that I might never make it back to Tanzania or Africa, or at minimum it will be a little while. Brian Herne ended his book Uganda with the phrase, “Farewell Uganda, for the time being…We will hunt you again”. Seemed a bit appropriate for my mindset. The dust, the landscape, the people, the sights, the sounds and the smells…they are in my blood and just writing this I miss them.

Kilombero North is a first class outfit. I can’t really think of anything to complain about. They should be the gold standard for how to manage a wild area, as the numbers and quality of animals is absolutely unbelievable. The work they are doing with the Maasai and what they have contributed to the community goes above and beyond and really shows what this organization is about. I would hunt with them in a heartbeat. I hope to do it someday for Leopard, as I think Quintin has had 50 or 60 successful leopard hunts. Also sounds like some of their buffalo hunts are awesome (and I don’t like hunting buffalo), but they talked about it so much that I might have to do it. What really stands out in my mind, was that we weren’t the biggest clients but they busted their ass to make sure we had a good time and that we had an unique experience. For example, I wasn’t suppose to hunt Bushbuck (didn’t think they have quota), and they totally could have not taken me to the mountain not once but twice but they did. And it was their idea if I would be interested. We could have slept in and chased Grants, Tommies or Impalas, I would have been none the wiser and happy, they never stopped working for me and really gave 100%. The unthinkable dream has been successfully completed and will forever be fond memories.

As far as gear:

What worked:
  • Quad sticks with the 3rd leg – This to me is critical and I will not go on a hunt without it
  • Trigger sticks
  • Practicing with Snap Cap off sticks every night (I honestly think this is the most important thing you can do)
  • Lightweight hiking sneakers (literally 55 dollar Adidas)
  • Using a Bullet Wallet (just convenient)
  • Browning A-bolt, with Nosler 180 gr Partitions, they performed flawlessly
What I would have done differently
  • Brought gaiters and gloves
  • Less Clothes, you can hunt in jeans – I am getting better though, I had 12 dollar Costco pants (worked great btw), but jeans work great in the thorns. Looking back between my first safari and now, the biggest over preparation I did for the first one was clothes.
  • Brought school supplies and more Candy
  • Been ready for the COVID Chaos at Arusha
Thank you to the AH community and sharing this journey with me. A lot of guys whether you know it or not have really inspired me. Since joining I have learned a lot and have gotten to live vicariously through a lot of reports. I know this trip would not have been possible without AH and for that, Thank you!

Congrats on the impala!

Enjoyed the report, thanks for sharing!

Sounds like an awesome adventure, and thanks for a solid report that gives a strong feel for your experience on this trip. I really like the kudu and the Tommie, but the size of the Grants surprised me. :D Beers:

Btw, I’ve been taking your snap cap advice!

Fantastic animals, a dream hunt for a lot of us here. Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

Great report, thank you and congratulations

Really enjoyed your report.

Glad you had a great safari. Tanzania is a special place.

This was a great hunt story to read, thank you for sharing, I held off reading until you were nearly done ( alot to read, which I like), to be able to enjoy more at one sitting. Beautiful and unique trophies! Also great you could enjoy it with a good friend. Congratulations! You have a writing style that I enjoy.

@Living The Dream, great report and fantastic safari. Just returned from Zim and during the last evening of our safari, I asked Big Mike the proverbial question”What next?”

Masailand came up and I told Big Mike a lot of animals we had not taken up there, lesser Kudu, gerenuk, grants, etc.

I think your report sealed the deal and I will be looking into this for 2023. Thanks for sharing and in such detail. I felt like I have already been there.

Congrats, a great hunt with very nice trophies !

Great trip and report LTD, thanks. By the way, please tell us why you don't like hunting buffalo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErrolKish0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.