TANZANIA: Northern Masailand Hunt With Kilombero North Safaris

Living The Dream, thank you two so much for taking us on such a fine Africa adventure in such a grand historical location! A dream hunt indeed!

Beautiful and unique trophies! Also great you could enjoy it with a good friend. Congratulations! You have a writing style that I enjoy.
Thank you sir! I appreciate the kind words!

during the last evening of our safari, I asked Big Mike the proverbial question”What next?”
I left it out of my report, but the last night around the campfire, I asked Bruce, "so whats next?"

Also, once you hunt Maasailand, watch Hatari again. Seems like you are right there with John Wayne!

Great trip and report LTD, thanks. By the way, please tell us why you don't like hunting buffalo?
Mostly because I am weird, lol.

Here is my experience, hunted a problem one in RSA, and he kept hiding in tall reeds, hunted him maybe a day and 1/2 and he was super cagey and honestly I didn't have the right mind set at that time. Busted him a few times and said the hell with it.

The next time was in Zim and we were sneaking herds or a few bachelor groups, we sneak in, try to get a clear shot, wind swirl and they bust and then we track them again, then we get close and a cow bust us and off they go, and then we track them and then wind swirl, and gone again....over and over. Or there wasn't a good bull and we back out. Was like this for 3 days.

Most people would love this, multiple stalks, adrenaline pumping, getting close in the thick stuff. To me it seemed like a waste of Adrenaline. For example, Elephants you track them forever, you catch a glimpse of ear or hear a branch break and it is game on. Buffalo, he leads you into thick stuff, you are excited, ready for him to be there any minute and...he wasn't in that thick stuff he kept going...ok relax a minute, track to the next thick stuff...repeat...then you spot him and there is a cow in the way and the wind swirls and gone.

I got a great buff in South Africa. And he was cagey and would run forever, and could also make himself really small and was amazing at hiding. But same thing, get pumped up and nothing, get pumped up and gone. Did have a warthog almost make me crap my pants when hunting buffalo, was in waste high grass and he jumped up at about 5 yards.

I will probably hunt them again, just got to get my mindset right. But there is a lot of things to hunt and I like different experiences, so just kind of have it on the backburner for the time being.

KNS has buffalo at the volcanic crater. When we saw them, we were debating how to sneak them with the wind and thermals, I was starting to get excited about the chess game.

Awesome trophies, awesome story, just flat out awesome! Thank you.

Again, thanks for taking us along this wonderful trip, enjoyed every minute of it. Congrats on a great Impala, love how the tips flare out. (y) (y)

Great report and great hunt. Tanzania is on my "dreams that will probably never happen list" as well. It's great to hear you and Bruce's stories on such a great trip. All your animals are great but it's easy to see why that Kudu was so special to you. Beautiful animal!

Oh, and having had a knee replaced 8 months ago as I prepare for Namibia in September, I side with Bruce! It's better than it was but I sure miss my younger, pre-injury knee!

Dang nice trip and write up, you are living the dream! Thanks for sharing.

This was a fantastic read. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a great adventure and some fine trophies!

Mostly because I am weird, lol.

Here is my experience, hunted a problem one in RSA, and he kept hiding in tall reeds, hunted him maybe a day and 1/2 and he was super cagey and honestly I didn't have the right mind set at that time. Busted him a few times and said the hell with it.

The next time was in Zim and we were sneaking herds or a few bachelor groups, we sneak in, try to get a clear shot, wind swirl and they bust and then we track them again, then we get close and a cow bust us and off they go, and then we track them and then wind swirl, and gone again....over and over. Or there wasn't a good bull and we back out. Was like this for 3 days.

Most people would love this, multiple stalks, adrenaline pumping, getting close in the thick stuff. To me it seemed like a waste of Adrenaline. For example, Elephants you track them forever, you catch a glimpse of ear or hear a branch break and it is game on. Buffalo, he leads you into thick stuff, you are excited, ready for him to be there any minute and...he wasn't in that thick stuff he kept going...ok relax a minute, track to the next thick stuff...repeat...then you spot him and there is a cow in the way and the wind swirls and gone.

I got a great buff in South Africa. And he was cagey and would run forever, and could also make himself really small and was amazing at hiding. But same thing, get pumped up and nothing, get pumped up and gone. Did have a warthog almost make me crap my pants when hunting buffalo, was in waste high grass and he jumped up at about 5 yards.

I will probably hunt them again, just got to get my mindset right. But there is a lot of things to hunt and I like different experiences, so just kind of have it on the backburner for the time being.

KNS has buffalo at the volcanic crater. When we saw them, we were debating how to sneak them with the wind and thermals, I was starting to get excited about the chess game.
Strange isnt it? My first buffalo was taken in Masailand on day one of my first day in Africa (1985). All over in half an hour!
My second buffalo, avatar pic bull, pretty much the same thing. Bail out of the truck in Botswana, follow up a sizeable herd, lean against a tree, take one shot, dead buffalo. Half an hour.
Ya just never know.

If every Friday I was going to be hunting Buffalo all weekend. Yay The finest OxTail soup there is. A little sadza with relish! my mouth is watering!! Nothing like a Zambezi valley Dugga boy. All day!

Congrats on the hunt. Masailand is definitely on the list of dream places to one day possibly hunt.

Thanks a lot for sharing this adventure with us @LivingTheDream! I enjoyed your writing very much and congratulations for the great trophies!

Enjoyed your report and envious of your adventure. Wonderful animals taken. I enjoyed B. Hernes “Uganda” as well-especially interesting as we know the history of that country after the book was written. Thanks for taking time to post your adventure!

What a great Safari! I so enjoyed the reports and am SOLD. A trip to that concession is on my short list with the family.

Thanks for sharing - the hunt and the write-up were great.

I forgot to mention . . . Crocs should have given me an endorsement deal . . . I work cheap! Appreciate the boycott!

What a great Safari! I so enjoyed the reports and am SOLD. A trip to that concession is on my short list with the family.
Thank you!! I have always enjoyed your reports as well! You and your family will love hunting there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross