Swift A frame reload data ?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Well, I bought some Swift A frame bullets in .375 caliber to try in my .375 H&H........now I find out that I have to have "special" data to reload these silly things? Something about pressures spiking, etc., and you can't just use "regular" reloading data, as I have with my other bullets/hodgdon manual? I went to Swifts website to see if I could get some data, but none is available....they want you to buy the reloading manual......at $36 plus S&H!!
Seems kinda pricey to just try a box of bullets.......can anyone out there share some data with me? I have the following powders at my disposal that I would like to try: H4895, H414, IMR4350, IMR 4064, IMR4320, IMR4831, and Reloader 19. The bullet weight is 300 grains.
Thank you very much if you can help me out............

I went on Loaddata.com and they have a listing for 375 H&H for Swift. Hope that helps!

@PHOENIX PHIL or @matt85 may be able to help?

Of course Matt will probably only help if you promise to but a bigger rifle in the future. :E Big Grin:

RL19--73.9grs-2350FPS max 79.5grs-2583fps-102% fill on max load.
IMR4064- 62.8grs-2395fps max 67.5grs-2550fps
IMR4320-63.7grs-2347fps nax 68.5grs 2529fps

Also IMR4350-71.1grs-2404fps max-76.5grs-2602fps
H4350-73.9grs-2464fps max 79.5grs -2639fps--102% fill on max load.
Swift also lists these powders: H-380/Varget/RL15 for the 375H&H using 300gr A-Frames.

The bullets are excellent. I do not have a 375 but use the 30cal/25cal/338/6.5mm bullets in several different cartridges in each cal myself. They have worked super in Africa and in the USA for my daughter and I. If you need more info let me know....or buy the book as it is worth having.

Thanks to all for your help...........it's much appreciated.(y)

Wellnow I find out that I have to have "special" data to reload these silly things? Something about pressures spiking, etc., and you can't just use "regular" reloading data, as I have with my other bullets/hodgdon manual?
Really? Sounds fishy to me. I'd recheck the source of the advice.

Suggest you develop a load as for any other 300gr conventional design lead core bullet in a 375. As others have already said, A-Frames seem to work fine developing loads along the same lines as any other conventional bullet. Start low and work your way up while monitoring velocity.
They are NOT like Barnes and other monolithics where the hardness of the material and the resultant higher graving pressure can yield dangerous pressure spikes.

Really. I tried using data I use for other lead core bullets and had bad pressure signs. They are NOT like barnes but they are a pure copper jacket and not a "normal" jacket. It does seem to make a difference.
I will stay with using their book data.

IMR4350 behind those bullets works extremely well for me. Someone here on AH recommended that to me. My load is a bit above the max listed in the manual at 78gr. DO NOT go directly to this. Please start at about 72gr and work up slowly.

Really. I tried using data I use for other lead core bullets and had bad pressure signs. They are NOT like barnes but they are a pure copper jacket and not a "normal" jacket. It does seem to make a difference.
I will stay with using their book data.
It sounds like you jumped straight to 'full power' loads and did not follow good reloading practice for new bullets and drop your powder charge by 10% and work your way up, chronying as you go? If you didn't do this, chances are you would have problems with any new bullet, not just Swift..

What are the jackets of other conventional soft-nose lead core bullets, if not pure copper? I'm curious at the variety of jackets and how these make such a significant difference? I can understand that steel-jacketed solids would cause this issue. I was under the impression the majority of conventional bullets were made with copper jackets.

Bottom line from me - I have used A-Frames in all my rifles and found them to be exceptionally accurate. And loads were similar to other conventional bullets. My experience was obviously different to yours. Sorry it wasn't helpful!

@PHOENIX PHIL or @matt85 may be able to help?

Of course Matt will probably only help if you promise to but a bigger rifle in the future. :E Big Grin:

sorry, i missed this one.

as said before, IMR 4350 is probably the best option.

i know its expensive but the Swift loading manual is really worth it. Swift bullets are easily some of the best lead core bullets on the market! i just took a cape buffalo using the 570gr .505" Swift A-frame and my first shot actually went threw a 1.75" tree before hitting the buffalo in the shoulder (broad side) and the bullet still broke the shoulder before punching threw both lungs and settling under the skin on the off side. the recovered weight of the A-frame was 510gr with an excellent mushroom considering it went threw wood and heavy bone before it got to the flesh. my second shot was near point blank into the spine with a muzzle velocity of 2300fps (energy: 6700 ft/lb). this bullet destroyed the spine and was found at the base of the animal. the second bullet weighed 505gr at recovery with an excellent mushroom.

-matt

i know its expensive but the Swift loading manual is really worth it. -matt

I'm sure it's probably worth the money............if I intended on loading Swift bullets in other calibers, or other bullet weights in the .375.

.....but I'm just wanting to try a box of bullets to see how they perfom; if they don't shoot accurately out of my rifle, then I won't use them......and I have $35 worth of useless data sitting on my shelf.:(

In this day and age of computer technology, most bullet makers/powder manufacturers have at least a few loads on the world wide web so that people new to their product can try them and see if they like 'em or not. It's kind of like test driving a car; you don't go and buy a vehicle based solely on what a friend says, do you?;)

If you've got the IMR4350, I think it'll work and you'll not need the manual.

Swift bullets arent hard to load for. they generate slightly higher pressures then most other lead bullets but if you start low and work your way up its not a problem.

-matt

I think you have your answer in SPADES!!!
My load is 75 gr IMR 4350, pretty mild, but it's what my rifle likes and easy to remember, and extremely accurate!
I wonder , honestly and really and practically, what a difference of 3 grs (<5%) difference would make out of a 20" barrel.
I did try some swifts, I tend to stick with Nosler, though I have been trying some Barnes solids, and I have some Sierra seconds from MidwayUSA.

Does the Swift reloading manual list Norma or Vihtavuori powders? I've recently gotten a 404 Jef, and I bought a couple of boxes of A-frames to load. I could probably work up a load based off data for Woodleigh bullets, but I wouldn't mind getting my own copy of the book - if it lists any of the powders I have access to. Export restrictions/transport costs or something makes non-European powders a scarce commodity in my country, and a bit more expensive when found.

As mentioned, Norma and Vihtavuori are easy to find here, so I'm hoping somebody with acces to the Swift Manual could take a look and give a quick answer if there is any point for me to get it myself.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: it does say on the website that they list loads for Norma and Vihtavuori. But I'd like to know if they do that for the 404J specifically.

Last edited:
Here is the info from the Swift manual.
400gr A-Frame
Vin powder N-160 start 81.8grs 2157FPS ---max 88grs 2287FPS
n-560 start 83.7grs 2042FPS. max 90grs 2222FPS
The N-160 showed the lowest SD

Norna powder 204 Start 78.1grs 2087FPS. Max. 84grs 2243FPS
MRP Start 86grs. 2106FPS 92.5grs 2246FPS

They also show IMR/Alliant and Hodgdon powders.

Reactions: cmk
I don't like stating a specific load as every rifle is different but I use 64.5gr (WORK UP TO THIS!!!) of H4895 for 2530 fps with the 300gr AF. RL19 also works well.
I've been loading Swift AF's in a variety of rounds and I don't find they require anything special. Most of my loads were developed before this new manual came out. Just start low and work up. I load them in .30, .338, .375 , .416 and soon 6.5mm.
Swift's manual lists loads for Hodgdon, Alliant and IMR powders for the .375 H&H.

Here is the info from the Swift manual.
400gr A-Frame
Vin powder N-160 start 81.8grs 2157FPS ---max 88grs 2287FPS
n-560 start 83.7grs 2042FPS. max 90grs 2222FPS
The N-160 showed the lowest SD

Norna powder 204 Start 78.1grs 2087FPS. Max. 84grs 2243FPS
MRP Start 86grs. 2106FPS 92.5grs 2246FPS

They also show IMR/Alliant and Hodgdon powders.

Divernhunter, you didn't have to post all the data, but thanks anyway. Then I know that getting the book is going to be worthwhile, and there are probably/hopefully Norma/Vihtavuori loads listed for my other rifles as well (.30-06, 9.3x62 and 6.5x55 - even though I don't shoot Swift bullets in them (yet?). Also, I luckily have both Norma 204 and MRP at home.

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.