Sunglasses, yes, no, type?

Saul

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina
I never wore sunglasses in my younger years and I think that directly contributed to the deterioration of my vision. I now wear Oliver Peoples sunglasses.

Kurt Swanson

Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hunted
NAmibia
Bright sunlight doesn't bother my eyes, but my eye doctor says it's bad for them so I try to wear sunglasses whenever I'm outside in sunny conditions. It's been very bright in Namibia on my hunts and I wore my sunglasses a lot. I have a strong prescription so the thickness of the lenses doesn't look good with aviator style frames, but the Sidewinder model by Shuron hides the thickness. I'm wearing them in the attached photo.

P5370225.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Fastrig

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
CA, TX, MT, CO, NV, AK, NE, SD, FL
Been wearing Maui Jims and Oakleys for years, best glasses IMHO. Prescription types in my more recent years. Having lens replacement surgery next week and should be back to regular sun glasses after that. Won’t miss the pain in the backside of having to carry multiple pairs of glasses around all the time. My flight surgeon handed me a good pair of sun glasses when I was in the service and told me never to go out into the sun without them...did as instructed and have to say it’s probably why I didn’t need prescription glasses until I was into my forties.

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
If you're giving sunglasses to a lady as a gift, and hope to court favor, I recommend Bvlgari or Dolce Gabbana........but personally, must try Serengetis based on above recommendations................FWB

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I prefer RayBans or Serengeti, depending on conditions. However about 35 years ago I missed an easy shot because the pair of RayBans that I was wearing were the gradient type that get darker as exposed to bright light. I was on a stand with the sun directly on me and I was semi-dosing. Suddenly I realized that a ground hog was directly in front of me. However since the lenses were so much darker than when I last looked, I thought it was much farther away, so I shot right over the top of it. So now the changeable lenses stay home and I match one of four pair to the conditions.

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Bright sunlight doesn't bother my eyes, but my eye doctor says it's bad for them so I try to wear sunglasses whenever I'm outside in sunny conditions. It's been very bright in Namibia on my hunts and I wore my sunglasses a lot. I have a strong prescription so the thickness of the lenses doesn't look good with aviator style frames, but the Sidewinder model by Shuron hides the thickness. I'm wearing them in the attached photo.

View attachment 362442
Hey Kurt, did you know you have company? She seems to approve of your sunglasses.

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I have had many pairs of Oakley over the last 20 odd years. I got fed up with how eazy they scratch, and how long it takes to get new lenses in South Africa. Then by chance my optometrist showed me some Maui Jims in March. I find their polarized lenses much better than Oakley.
Thats the reason I use the Serengettis, extremely thin, but super hard for scratch resistance. The coating peeled off my very expensive Maui Jims, total waste of money.

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I prefer RayBans or Serengeti, depending on conditions. However about 35 years ago I missed an easy shot because the pair of RayBans that I was wearing were the gradient type that get darker as exposed to bright light. I was on a stand with the sun directly on me and I was semi-dosing. Suddenly I realized that a ground hog was directly in front of me. However since the lenses were so much darker than when I last looked, I thought it was much farther away, so I shot right over the top of it. So now the changeable lenses stay home and I match one of four pair to the conditions.
Thats a new one RayB, blame your sunglasses. Thats why I only shoot big animals, a groundhog must be like a 10 ring.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
If you're giving sunglasses to a lady as a gift, and hope to court favor, I recommend Bvlgari or Dolce Gabbana........but personally, must try Serengetis based on above recommendations................FWB

Yup that works ;) :A Thumbs Up:

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I am pretty glare intolerant, I find it uncomfortable to be out in bright light to the point of not being able to open my eyes. So for decades I have worn sunglasses, and tried all sorts. My ultimate are Serengeti driver type, for clarity and even dull light definition enhancement. So for me sunglasses are more or less a must on a hunt. What do you find?
I go back and forth. I prefer not to wear them but have and with good shades can shoot with them on. I’d suggest finding some that are not too dark that you can get used to keeping on when shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoraDowney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.