Summer and winter coats on plains game?

Phfat

Reaction score
Member of
National Rifle Association, Benefactor Life member
Hunted
NE USA
Do African plains animals grow summer and winter coats like north American whitetail deer?

If so, it would make a big difference when one hunted Africa if you wanted prime, winter pelts for making rugs?

Summer coats are thin, hair is easily slipped from the leather, just not good for tanning into beautiful rugs?

This is something a lot of hunters don't think of & even as you alluded to it is easier for the staff to look after your animal in the winter/cooler weather .

Unfortunately for me I normally only get a chance to hunt after the hunters are gone or at the end of the season & I do all the work myself, such as game retrieval, skinning, salting & boiling up the heads !

Any way my capes & skins mostly are not prime for this reason, I really wanted a Nyala with the full mane & winter cape, so turned down the hunt opportunity I did get in October-November !

Oh this does depend which African country you are hunting to ?

LOL luckily most hunters go to Africa in (S. Hemisphere) Winter, when it's Summer in the N. Hemisphere where most reside. I esp. love the waterbuck winter coats...6" like a rocky mtn goat! No, not really. (The waterbuck, nyala, lechwe, sitatunga, etc. are swamp dwellers so many of them have long, musky hair-likely to deal with being submerged in water. So, if their hair is longer, most people are going to get it. But, since that long hair (possibly 2 layers of diff hair in NA-std & hollow/diff lengths) is designed for sub-freezing temps, I'm going to say it's insignificant in most areas...The temps in African winter may occasionally drop slightly below 32F in some higher elevation areas (usually more like 45F, but it quickly rises to 60F or even higher by p.m., so having that significantly longer hair may not pay off considering avg daily temps of 60 in winter and 70 in summer (and of course, it gets much hotter at times of the day as well!) In the much higher elevation mtns (ethiopia, etc.,) it's possible some have more hair (the reedbucks, nyala, and bushbuck i've seen do seem to have longer hair.) I like to have my hair trimmed prior to an African walk and stalk (it's gen. hot in Southern African countries), and yes, Humans ARE Animals! Trackers/Gunbearers/Skinners like wearing hats/gloves in the early a.m. on the back of hunting vehicles, as it's chilly w/ that 40mph windchill while driving (and they do not appear to have long hair at all)! Longest hair ever seen in Africa was that renowned PH from Zim hunting CAR/Cameroon (Guav Johnson.) He's prepared for anything the continental weather throws at him. I'd love to hunt with him oneday for the biggest eland and the smallest buffalo!! He and my son have the same barber.

Last edited:
What African countries have the coldest winters, where the winter protective coat on animals might be the most fully developed and thickest, and what months of year might that be?

Well it was freezing & snowed like F@#k in South Africa when I was there a few years ago & this is not rare !

Not my photos .

Snow in SA Sable.jpg

Snow in SA Elephants.jpg

Snow in Sa Giff.jpg
Snow in SA Giff-.jpg

Snow in SA Cheetha.jpg

South African Snow Cheetah lol !

Last edited:
Most of us will hunt Southern Africa in our Summer/their winter. The coats are pretty consistent. If you hunt very late season you may see a little less hair. To answer your question: No, African animals do not have the winter/summer coats that are vastly different like a white tailed deer.

How about with kudu? I noticed some in pictures have beautiful coloring in April and then some in July seem to be even more gray and dull. Is that just my perception when looking at pictures?

@justin wiles You will need to make sure you aren't looking at pictures of the Cape Kudu vs a greater southern Kudu in limpopo as a couple examples. My cape kudu as a darker coat than his cousins I have seen in limpopo and Namibia.

Well it was freezing & snowed like F@#k in South Africa when I was there a few years ago & this is not rare !
It sure makes spotting and tracking easier!

How about with kudu? I noticed some in pictures have beautiful coloring in April and then some in July seem to be even more gray and dull. Is that just my perception when looking at pictures?
I’ve shot kudu May-October. I haven’t seen a change of their coat because of the month, but kudu that lived in the most open areas had the best mane hair (not sure what you actually call it) hanging from their necks. The kudu living in thickest brush had worn it off very short.

Cape Kudu's face darkens during the rut. Here you see how dark this bull's face is. The neck goes black and gets pumped up during May as well.

Other than that, I can't really think of other animals that change their coats during season, but that's just off the top of my head. Certainly not something that I think of when booking hunters during the year.

20180607_210817.jpg

mature M & F kudu have diff coat colorations. Just like other spiral horns (Eland). "Blue" Bulls are the big males. Very easy to spot in a herd.

what a memory that would be to have hunted and taken African Game in the snow........just wow....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayleighFa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you