SOUTH AFRICA: My First Safari Hunting The Mountains Of The Eastern Cape With KMG Hunting Safaris

Great report. Congratulations on taking some really nice trophies as well. KMG puts on a good hunt.

Hi MTA............despite all my trips to Africa, I have yet to make it to the Eastern Cape.......still hope to..............awaiting more info and hope to hear more from you soon........also hope to see one of those recovered Barnes LRX bullets!.......FWB

Ditto

Great trip report, as well as some mighty fine animals!

Return Journey
After the last day of hunting, I had a great night of sleep and woke up to packing the truck so we could head to East London. The two other American hunters were on the same flight to JHB then they would take United back, while I am on Delta.

At East London, the computer system went down so they were having to manually check in passengers. Passengers who checked in online before their flight were allowed to proceed first. I was fortunate enough to have done so, the two other guys didnt but they still made it through fast. After check in, I went to the firearms closet which is right next to the airlink checkin. I did the standard open the rifle case, validate serial number, sign ledger. Handed both the ammo and rifle case and then I went to the main foyer to a room that had a metal covered window for the rifle transportation charge. It was 535 rand and I paid with a card. From there, security was a quick process with no lines. Our plane was already waiting on the taxiway. East London has an efficient way of loading the plane with passengers since they dont use conventional jet ways. They had two separate lines for 1-15 and 16 - 30 something. They then loaded the plane with two stair cases which meant everyone was boarded and settled in under 10 minutes. This particular flight had a first class section that I had booked into for an extra $13. Worth it as the seats were big.

Landing at JHB was interesting. We were met by a stairwell in the middle of the tarmac and picked up by a bus that dropped us at the baggage claim. My experience with baggage claims in Africa is that they work fast to get the baggage off the plane. I retrieved my checked bag and saw a man standing waving me over to the firearms room. My rifle and ammo case were waiting. Once again open the rifle case, verify serial sign the ledger. I was still with the other two hunters at this point but one of them was missing a checked bag. They went to sort that out and we departed from each other. I met Marius and Anna from Riflepermits once more. At this point I placed my ammo case into my checked bag.

They led me to the restaurant Capello where we made plans to meet back up in a few hours at 4:15 to check in to Delta, which opens at 5pm. The food at Capello was outstanding. At 4:15 we met at the delta check in. We were informed there would be two lines formed, one for sky priority and the other for general boarding. I was first on line and at 4:50 I was allowed to proceed to the counter. Check in was painless and my rifle case was tagged and I carried on with it to the last rifle room. I followed the same procedure for the last time with the only exception being that I surrendered my SAPs permit at this point. From here it was a short walk through security and then to the passport check.

IMG_5730.jpeg
IMG_5729.jpeg

The international terminal is very nice with plenty of stores, restaurants and lounges. I spent way too much money on curios but everything was reasonably priced. I spent time at the Aspire Lounge which was about $30 and was well wirth it. There is nowhere to charge a phone outside of the lounges. At the gate there was an additional security check where airport workers searched bags. The flight back was long but uneventful. I learned my lesson on the first flight and made good use of the ear plugs and some bose noise canceling headphones.

The process at Atlanta was streamlined. Passport control had short lines from there it was to the rifle room for CBP. I was the first in. They verified my serial and 4457. They also sprayed the soles of my boots while they were on my feet. I then proceeded on with my checked bag and rifle to the next area. An airport worker took my checked bag to place on to the conveyor belt. Off to the right is a little section where they had me take my rifle case, it was opened and swabbed for some reason by a CBP officer. It was then locked and placed on to a trolley. From there I went through an expedited security check and was out in to the terminals.

Contrasting heavily with my first leg through Atlanta, the return experience was much better. There was much less people and I was able to eat at One Flew South. Fantastic food and I was able to get an Ayinger Weisse beer which is close to where my fathers family is from in Germany. Highly recommend this restaurant in Concourse E.

IMG_5735.jpeg

One of the displays that is very interesting in Concourse E is the surrendered paraphernalia from customs that people have tried to bring in to the country. Pictured below here are many cool items:

IMG_5731.jpeg
IMG_5732.jpeg

IMG_5733.jpeg
IMG_5734.jpeg

The flight was uneventful. Landing in DFW was simple. At the baggage claim they have a little metal door with a conveyor belt where the rifles come out of. An airline worker checks your id to ensure the rifle belongs to you. I noticed thag my pelican case was cracked but still functional. Big wtf on that one. With rifle in hand I was finally done with traveling other than a 1.5 hour drive. I was very thankful for the safe travel back home!

IMG_5744.jpeg

Great report, thank you for sharing. Nothing like your first hunt in Africa. I couldn't stop smiling my first time there.

Leaving in five days to hunt with Marius. Really looking forward to it.

Wow! Awesome hunt! Excellent story and pics. Thank you. Your desire to help 1st timers was well worth your time. I learned a lot and your attention to detail gave me comfort and insight of what my son and I will experience one week from today as we head to Grahamstown in the EC. Flying from Chicago to London to JBurg and finally to Port Elizabeth. The little details were well noted and I, for one, greatly appreciate it. Again, congratulations and thank you!

Wow, WTF with the case? Did you file a claim with the airline? I would, that is not a cheap case.

Wow, WTF with the case? Did you file a claim with the airline? I would, that is not a cheap case.
I was so tired from the travel that I didnt even think to submit a claim. Most of my travel in my life has been in the military or in a car so I didnt even think to look into claiming it. I chock it up to another life lesson learned

In 2017 I had my Pelican arrive in Calgary with a hole in the end. Knocked the plastic piece inside the case. Possibly a forklift? It was KLM (Swiss Air). It took a lot of time and fighting to get paid for my case. Then they sent the check in US funds! LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: MTA
What branch? Thank you for your service!

Retired AF, after 34 years, 9 months & 28 days. Now working as a GS employee. :)

Thanks for your detailed hunt report. Congratulations, you did well. The Eastern Cape is a great place to hunt.

In 2017 I had my Pelican arrive in Calgary with a hole in the end. Knocked the plastic piece inside the case. Possibly a forklift? It was KLM (Swiss Air). It took a lot of time and fighting to get paid for my case. Then they sent the check in US funds! LOL.
Adding insult to injury! Honestly, the airline workers for Delta at DFW looked like they just discovered fire last week so I don't think I would have gotten anywhere. :LOL:

What branch? Thank you for your service!

Retired AF, after 34 years, 9 months & 28 days. Now working as a GS employee. :)
USMC and just 4 years for me. If I did 34 years in the Corps, Id come out looking father time! You did the smart choice. I always loved when Id get sent to Kadena on Okinawa.

Congrats on your hunt and thanks for sharing!

I noticed thag my pelican case was cracked but still functional. Big wtf on that one. With rifle in hand I was finally done with traveling other than a 1.5 hour drive. I was very thankful for the safe travel back home!

IMG_5744.jpeg

That looks bad. I sure hope that all your guns and gear came through unharmed!

Pelican makes several versions of its cases (e.g., Storm, Protector, Vault, etc.). Which one was this?

That looks bad. I sure hope that all your guns and gear came through unharmed!

Pelican makes several versions of its cases (e.g., Storm, Protector, Vault, etc.). Which one was this?
Yep everything was fine. This is a 1750 which is part of the protector series. Im assuming it was dropped from a considerable distance or at an odd angle

Glad to hear that the gear came through unharmed.

Just a thought, but I wonder whether Pelican would replace it under their "Limited Lifetime Warranty" coverage? It might be worth your while to ask.

Glad to hear that the gear came through unharmed.

Just a thought, but I wonder whether Pelican would replace it under their "Limited Lifetime Warranty" coverage? It might be worth your while to ask.
Yea I need to give them a call, thank you for the reminder

Appreciate you taking the time to write up this detailed report, sir. Always a pleasure when hunters take the time to prepare for a trip. I can assure you that we appreciate the time you spent on the rifle range.

Thank you again .

This is fantastic, I have never been, so it was joyful to read about your adventures. Thank you for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross