AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Marupa Northern Cape Sunset.jpg

Country – Kimberly South Africa (Northern Cape)
Dates – 07-20-2021 through 07-31-2021
Type of Hunt (Plains Game, Big Game, Cull, Bird...) – Plains Game
Method of Hunting (Rifle, Bow, Handgun…) –
Rifle
Outfitter –
Marupa Safaris
PH –
Dolf Vanwyk
Agent –
None
Locations Hunted –
Northern Cape and Free State
Species Hunted –
Wildebeest, Springbok, Impala, Steenbok, Gemsbok, Blesbok, Zebra
Trophy Quality – Good to Very Good (Never been before so not sure??)
Species Seen, Population and Quality of Game Observed – Over 30 species seen. Very high-quality Sable and Roan present. Also seen big Cape Buffalo.
Lodging – Excellent
Food –
Excellent and I joked that everything seemed to evolve around eating times.
Activities –
We chose to just hunt although they offer several other activities to do outside of hunting.
Travel Methods – Well taken care of vehicles throughout camp.

High Points –
Living out a lifelong dream. It was all great.
Low Points –
Leaving to go home.
Things to Improve –
I feel at times in the first few days I should have spoken up a little instead of having a “Go with the Flow” attitude. It opened for some miscommunication in the beginning that could have been avoided. I would put blame on our Mid-West nice attitudes along with never being on a guided hunt before.
Overall Rating – A+ (10?)
Would Recommend to a Friend –
Absolutely in a heartbeat and hope to help others get the chance to experience it.

Long time viewer, First time poster so please be gentle...….

Why is it you can never hope to describe the emotion Africa creates? You are lifted. Out of whatever pit, unbound from whatever tie, released from whatever fear. You are lifted and you see it all from above.” Francesca Marciano

Africa - place since I was young, I had an attachment to but not sure why. On an episode of Jim Shockey’s Uncharted, I once heard him make a statement; When your younger you put all this pressure on yourself and just want the animal the more you hunt it becomes how you get the animal, everything must be harder than easier. Then it becomes the why, why are we coming all this way to hunt? I believe these words have helped me in understanding the why of Africa.

The Dream:

Africa has been an adventure I have perseverated of since for long as I can remember. A dream that started in my youth while watching educational wildlife shows on TV. As I grew up, began hunting and building the desires of hunting, the dream turned into not just visiting the Dark Continent, but to experience the culture, the landscapes and to hunt the animals that exists within. A bucket list trip, an adventure that most people in my inner circle would not take due to the misconception of dangers, travel concerns and/or affordability. Some of these concerns followed myself, thinking and planning that IF Africa would become a reality to me, it would be in my later years of life.

The Booking:

So, my first trip to Africa started with a conversation with a great friend and hunting partner Nic Edlund. He asked me on a western hunt for Mule Deer what my dream hunting adventure would be? The answer came quick…. Africa. The follow up was, For What? I didn’t have that answer I just knew I wanted to go to Africa for the adventure and experience. After some research I found a little about SCI and some of the events that are held within our area. The weeks leading up to the event we discussed the auction items we were interested in and to what value we felt they were worth. Nic and I attended the 44th Annual MN SCI World Hunting Expo in February of 2019. Our initial idea was that we would get to talk to some Outfitters, maybe meet some people that have traveled to Africa and get to see the costs that these hunts go for on the Live Auction. I took some time to meet with a few Outfitters and really like what I saw from Marupa Safaris. We were fortunate enough to purchase a 10-day hunt for 10 animals with Pieter Viviers and Dolf Vanwyk of Marupa Safaris.

The Planning:

We were given the option to come in the fall of 2019 or in 2020. We elected to pick 2020 due to us having prior hunting trips planned for 2019. Dolf and Pieter came to the states in February of 2020, and we were lucky enough to get a few hours of their time to cook them a nice dinner and take them out and try to kill a few coyotes. We got to discuss our upcoming hunt and what we should expect. In March of 2020, everything was good to go for our May Safari and then the world seemed to turn upside down due to COVID. We rebooked for July with the same result. Pushed it off to April 2021 and again just weeks before taking off it was canceled. We rescheduled for the end of July with knowing that if it couldn’t happen, we most likely would have to wait a few years to go.

Dolf and Pieter MN Coyote Hunt.jpg

As stated earlier, me and Nic do the DIY style hunting in the states. We have never been on a guided hunt, and we have never been on an international hunt, let alone plan one ourselves. We wanted to take our own firearms with us, so that narrows down the flights you can take without having any possible issues to or from your destination. With Delta Airlines giving us the short notice cancelations for the direct ATL to JNB route, our last plan was to try the United Airlines route from MSP to EWR (Newark NJ) to JNB. This route was new to United as it was planned to start in mid-2020 but due to COVID it started in June of 2021. COVID testing was difficult to plan as most facilities will only test if you have symptoms. The MSP airport has a testing facility that can get you results within 72 hours or for $220 you can get results for the required PCR test in 30 min. We elected to go the Vault testing route and if our results were not back by our arrival at the airport, we would pay the money to get the fast results. That was not needed as my results came within the same day and Nic’s came the next morning. For firearms we utilized the help of our Outfitter in assisting to get our gun permits. We provided them a copy of our Passport, Flight Itinerary and Customs Form 4457. Marupa Safaris also has an invitation letter that helps with some information that is needed for the completion of the SAPS 520 form. A few lessons learned that I hope will help someone looking to take this adventure; Ammo is not limited besides by weight (no more than 5 kg) and make sure you have your gun case locked with locks only you have the key for (non-TSA). Taking guns with us was a huge concern, but with a few simple things done correctly and the help of Pieter everything was easy and painless.

Through help of Pieter Viviers, Dolf Vanwyk, Dave Bigler, and the internet we got most of the questions answered that we thought to ask. I want people to know that it can be done by themselves and with the support of a good Outfitter and someone back in the states to answer questions or concerns you may have. I and/or Nic would be more than happy to discuss/help anyone that is unsure of traveling to Africa during these COVID times.

“It’s always something and that’s the cool part. You can’t anticipate it, you just react, face the challenge, meet it and in the end the accomplishment is that much greater.” Jim Shockey​

Turning the Dream into Reality:

My wife and son dropped me off at the MSP airport on Monday July 19th around 7:30 am. I was worried how long it would take me to get through everything not knowing how traveling via airplane with a gun would go. Within 30 min. I had my bags checked, guns inspected and processed and my boarding passes in hand. A few things that will make this go faster is having clear copies of your COVID test results (within 72 hours of departure from your international flight for South Africa) and your Customs Form 4457. Nic showed up just as I cleared my guns and I walked through the process with him, within 15 min. we were headed to TSA pre-check. We would have been through that in no time, but my bag go pulled and inspected because I had my shooting bag in my carry-on luggage. TSA told me that anything like that will most likely get pulled and inspected. All the worries and concerns of guns, ammo, COVID and international flights and we made it through security in less than 45 minutes. Nic and I headed to the bar for a drink and conversation. Flight from MSP to EWR (Newark NJ) was uneventful and on time. We spent most of our 6-hour layover in the United Club which I highly recommend to anyone with a lengthy layover. Our flight to Johannesburg was delayed multiple times but eventually took off a few hours later and we arrived a couple hours late. We arrived in Johannesburg around 8:30 pm on Tuesday July 20th, too late to leave the town of Joburg due to the Civil Unrest happening and the imposed curfew, but none the less we are in AFRICA! After going through the airport, collecting our luggage, meeting up with one of Marupa Safaris PH’s GC Du Plessis and getting our guns cleared we headed to a house in Johannesburg to stay for the night. Here we our met with smiles and laughs by our good friend Dolf Vanwyk. After some dinner and a few drinks everyone is off to bed as the morning will come fast. I whisper to myself for the first time, “Goodnight Africa”.

Joberg Lodge 1.jpg

Joberg Lodge 4.jpg
Joberg Lodge 2.jpg

Wayde, where is the rest just got into it big time then saw oh now I need to wait?

Day #1 of the Safari (July 21, 2021; High 56 F – Low 23 F):

Today started off with a 5:00 am alarm, but it wasn’t needed. Between the rest on the plane and the excitement of what’s to come, sleep did not come easy. After the minimal items we unloaded were gathered and loaded back up, paperwork completed and freshened up, we were off by 6:10 am. The trip was around 5 hours in which around the halfway mark I found myself talking about how I want to bring my family the next time. Looking back, it reminds me of a Brian Jackman quote I read once, “Everything in Africa bites, but the safari bug is worst of all”. The ground reminds me of a mixture of Wyoming, West Texas, and Southern Arizona. On the drive we seen Blesbok, Black Impala, Red Lechwe. We unpacked the vehicles, grabbed a fantastic lunch of Chicken Cordon Blue with fries and caught up in conversation before heading to the range to verify zero of our rifles.
Marupa Safaris Lodge 1.jpg
Marupa Safaris Lodge 2.jpg
Marupa Safaris Lodge 3.jpg
Marupa Safaris Lodge 4.jpg
Marupa Safaris Lodge 5.jpg

We headed out hunting and got to see some fantastic wildlife; Springbok, Gemsbok, Kudu, Red Lechwe, Black Wildebeest, Golden Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Giraffe, Warthog, Impala, and this was the first afternoon! While chasing a Springbok Ram that Dolf though needed another look at, Nic spotted a very nice Impala ram, which after some discussion back and forth between myself and him on who is going to shoot it, Nic had his first African animal on the ground.
Nic Impala 5.jpg

After dropping him off at the skinning shed, we head back to the lodge for drinks and dinner. At the fire we learned that Mr. Scott from Alabama (joined by his wife Donna) shot a nice Gemsbok Bull and Mr. Mark and his wife Mrs. Karen almost connected on a Nyala Bull but ran out of daylight. Dinner consisted of Eland tenderloins cooked over the campfire, au gratin potatoes, fresh salad, and squash. Everything was fantastic! Tonight, we presented Pieter and Dolf with couple hides from coyotes they harvested with us in early 2020. Their reaction from those gifts from me and Nic, made all the miles, planning and waiting worth it. After a few more drinks and a phone call home, I retreated to bed. “Goodnight Africa”.
Dolf and Pieter MN Coyote Hides 2.jpg

Day # 2 of the Safari (July 22, 2021; High 48F – Low 17 F):

This morning started out around 7:00 am with no sleep happening for me until around 4:00 am. We got ready and headed to the main lodge to meet up with Dolf and eat breakfast, Eland omelets and Wildebeest Sausage. After breakfast it started to snow, yes SNOW in South Africa! Dolf made it clear that Black Wildebeest was on the punch list this morning and blood will be hitting the ground today! We left shortly after breakfast and headed to a neighboring property. Upon arrival we ran into 5 large Cape Buffalo bulls which gave us time to discuss what the difference from a good one to a great one and do some field judging. We move on and stumble into a group of Blue Wildebeest bulls which shifts our focus but not shots were fired. For the next 2 hours we spot numerous large Roan bulls, Sable, Duiker, Steenbok, Zebra, Kudu, Springbok, and lots of Blesbok. I spotted what I thought was a Kudu cow at a distance that turned out to be a nice Impala Ram, which was followed by the 300 Win Mag going up and the ram going down and I had harvested my first African animal! We took some photos and loaded him up in the back of the Land Cruiser and continued our search for Wildebeest.
Wayde Impala 6.jpg

Not long down the trail Dolf spots a small herd of Black Wildebeest bulls. We make our approach and Dolf picks one out for me to shoot. I push my shot too far off the shoulder (concern placed by others on how the Berger VLD would perform on large African animals), he runs 5 yards behind a tree which after 30 seconds the rest of the herd starts running around all crazy like, so we assumed he was down. Dolf picks another good one out of the group and Nic places what we thought was another good shot. As like my bull, his runs behind the same tree out of sight and after a minute or so the other 3 bulls start running around crazy like again, so we assumed he was also down. Upon getting around the said tree there were 5 Wildebeest bulls upright. We sorted out our mess and the result were 2 very nice Black Wildebeest bulls and one heck of a photo that I personally will cherish forever.
Wayde Nic Black Wildebeest 1.jpg

After the underestimation in challenge of loading a Wildebeest bull by hand from our PH Dolf, we had both loaded up and headed to the skinning shed and back to the lodge for lunch of Gemsbok spaghetti.
Nic and Wayde Black Wildebeest 8.jpg

After an hour rest, I loaded up the 6mm Creedmoor as we were going to spend the rest of the afternoon looking for a nice Springbok. No 15 minutes into our search and after a well-placed 6mm VLD bullet, I had my 3rd animal of the day and my first common Springbok Ram.
Wayde Common Springbok 2.jpg
Wayde Common Springbok 1.jpg

We continued looking for a nice ram for Nic only spotting a nice Copper Springbok ram. With about 45 min. of daylight, we persuaded Dolf to stop drink a beer while watching the sunset. On the way back to camp we spot Blesbok and Tsessebe. At the fire we discuss the Zebra that Mr. Scott shot late afternoon and learn that Mrs. Karen was able to harvest her Nyala bull. We enjoy a nice dinner of Springbok kabobs, roasted chicken, fries, and salad. Have a few drinks by the fire and everyone but me is off to bed. I stay up another few hours to phone home to my wife Jen and son Porter. I’m conflicted as I miss them but also am falling in love with where I am at. At 12:30 am I finally say, “Goodnight Africa”.

Day #3 of the Safari (July 23, 2021; High 52 F – Low 22 F Full Moon):

After a good night’s sleep and a shower, the morning started like all of them at the Main Lodge for breakfast. This morning it was scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and a roasted tomato slice. The plan for this morning is to find Nic a common Springbok ram. After covering some ground and only spotting some marginal Common rams with a couple big Copper rams we found 3 rams worth another look. After a few hundred yards, they slipped around us, but we did run into a nice Kudu bull. Once we relocate the 3 Springbok rams and we have another botched stalk and then soon realize that none are the caliber that Nic is looking for. A short while later we stumble into another large group and Dolf spots a ram, he thinks is worthy. Nic makes a nice 326-yard shot in 12-15 MPH winds and puts the ram down in short fashion.
Nic First Common Springbok 8.jpg

After pictures and dropping the ram off to Douglas at the skinning shed, along with a Havalon knife for Douglas, we take off after a Hartmann’s Zebra. Not long into the search, we find what we are looking for amongst a large group of Sable. We get set up for a shot, but it seems to know the game. After a while it makes its way over a koppie, and the chase is on for over 2 miles through a group of Red Hartebeest, a Gemsbok, and a herd of Springbok. The Zebra gives me an opportunity at 307 yards, and I quickly take the shot to have it expire within 60 yards. Nic and I are amazed at the beauty of these animals. We take some awesome photos and head back to the lodge after a quick pitstop to the skinning shed.
Wayde Zebra 3.jpg

For lunch we have Wildebeest brats and chili cheese fries. After a short rest we head to the adjoining property to look at some Gemsbok. Along the drive we spot, Blesbok, Steinbok, Duiker, Aardwolf, Kudu and Gemsbok, but nothing to push us to shoot. At dark we head back to the lodge to enjoy dinner, a drink, and the fire. Dinner tonight is Fallow Deer steaks, roasted potatoes, carrots, rice, and creamy broccoli. Everyone heads to bed early tonight as tomorrow we are heading quite away to check out some Lions and Blue Wildebeest. “Goodnight Africa”.

Good start for a rookie :)

Great report - Keep it coming! :A Popcorn:

The first safari to Africa is special! and the African bug bite is deep and lasts a lifetime:A Camping: The friends you make the sights, sounds and smells will find you looking to the southeast till you set foot in Africa again. I have 5 trips behind me and 6 and 7 planned and booked.

Day #4 of the Safari (7-24-2021; High 61⁰ F - Low 23⁰ F):

This morning started out at 6:30 am with a quick shower and then off to the main lodge for breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs, bacon sausage and toast. Others in camp are heading to the diamond mine in Kimberly today so Pieter joins us on our trip to a property 1 hour away to look for Blue Wildebeest and Blesbok. As we arrive on this property, we see numerous game including Zebra, Blue and Black Wildebeest, Gemsbok, Kudu, Blesbok and Lions. Dolf and I make a move on a Blue Wildebeest, but the wind did not cooperate. Multiple attempts for Blesbok came up short as the animal’s act like a cyclone and never stop. Just before noon Dolf spots an injured Black Wildebeest and Nic makes a nice 680-yard shot in 10-12 mph crosswinds to dispatch the animal which will be utilized by the ranch for lion food. We head back to the lodge and after a rest we are on the lookout for Gemsbok. Nic and local guy named Jacob head out one way and Dolf and I head to the back of the property. Multiple Gemsbok were spotted by both groups, but no shots were fired. I did manage to kill a nice Steenbok bedded down 262 yards away facing me. All honesty I did miss him on the first shot. We all met up and took some awesome sun setting pictures and headed back to the lodge.
Wayde Steinbok 3.jpg

Dinner was Gemsbok steaks, carrots, potatoes, and creamy coleslaw. After a phone call home learning that my son Porter got a fish today and decided to name it Salmon, and maybe a few too many drinks, another day in Africa ended. “Goodnight Africa”.
Marupa Bri Fire Pit.jpg

The first safari to Africa is special! and the African bug bite is deep and lasts a lifetime:A Camping: The friends you make the sights, sounds and smells will find you looking to the southeast till you set foot in Africa again. I have 5 trips behind me and 6 and 7 planned and booked.
I'm not sure a truer statement has been ever spoke to me!

Day #5 of the Safari (7-25-2021; High 63 F – Low 28 F):

Today started a little later than normal as last nights drinking has us staying in bed a little later than we expected. I was in the main lodge eating breakfast consisting of over easy eggs, toast, bacon, and sausage links by 8:00 am. After breakfast we determined that somehow the keys got locked in Dolf’s Land Cruiser. Between Dolf and Sien, one of the trackers in camp, and a little MacGyver action they had the door unlocked in short order. We head to the same property as we hunted last night and make a walk to the hills where some Gemsbok may be. We end up bumping a few and make another stalk around another rock hill to the main heard. Nic misses a 200-yard chip shot on a nice long horned cow and before they stop and can get set up for another shot, they push out to over 700 yards. Nic decides to pass on the shot with the switching winds and we end up making a couple more moves before we end up catching up to the heard again. We get to 386 yards before being spotted. Nic sets up and make a good shot and the Gemsbok is down within 30 yards. A big, beautiful cow with one side at 39 inches and the other at 40 inches. Upon arrival to the Gemsbok, we noticed the heard only pushed off only a couple hundred yards. Dolf spots the bull quickly and I somehow pull the easiest shot of the trip right at 300 yards. They take off and we set up Nic’s Gemsbok for some awesome photos. This was Nic’s number one hit list animal, and it was awesome to have a back seat view for it all to come together.
Nic Gemsbok Group.jpg

We load her up and head to the skinning shed, but not before we spot the heard and make one more attempt. We get to 418 yards and the bull presents a quartering to shot which hits him perfect on the point of the shoulder and he goes 80 yards before going down. About halfway to him, he tries to get back up and I put another round in his shoulder to finish the job. We set him up for photos and then head to the skinning shed, then lunch at the main lodge.
Wayde Gemsbok 7.jpg

Lunch was Wildebeest burgers and fries which was good. Nic and Dolf decide to take naps after lunch which gives me an opportunity to call home and reflect on this awesome trip so far. We make a quick run to the gun range to confirm Dolf’s gun and then just take a nice game drive to end out the day. Tonight, everyone in camp enjoyed playing a game called 30 seconds after dinner. We all had a blast, and a few drinks didn’t hurt. “Goodnight Africa”.

Day #6 of the Safari (7-26-2021; High 66° F – Low 23 F):

I awake to the sound of the alarm clock at 6:30 am but didn’t get out of bed until 7:05 am. I reflect on how relaxed I have become here. I am usually the type to be up and working by 0500 and only get 4-5 hours of sleep a night. I also reflect on between how dry it is and the cigarette smoke (everyone seems to smoke in Africa, but no smoking in the facilities is allowed) how congested I am in the morning. I shower and head to the main lodge for breakfast. We arrive a little early which gives Nic, Mr. Mark and me some time to discuss some of our past adventures and successes along with highlights of this trip so far. Mr. Mark is a wealth of hunting knowledge, experience, and travel history so it is always a pleasure to have some time to converse with him. Breakfast was omelets, sausage links and toast. We plan to look for a Copper Springbok for Nic and head out on our adventure. We cover ground this morning with the Land Cruiser for about an hour until we spot a nice ram. After a short stalk and around a 200-yard shot, Nic had a beautiful Copper Springbok Ram heading to the salt shed.
Nic Copper Springbok 1.jpg

After dumping Nic’s Copper off at the salt shed with Douglas, we head to check out some ground that we are looking to call some Jackal on. We spend some time picking apart that ground and head back to maybe try and find another Copper Springbok Ram for myself. We run into a herd of Blesbok, and I see Nic starting to become intrigued with how to judge and pick these animals apart form a nice one to a great one. I feel it won’t be long and he will be pursuing one of these animals. Not far into the search we find another nice copper ram, which seems like he has had this game played on him and did not like it. We make multiple setups with us finally getting a shot at 258 yards with a steady 10 mph crosswind. I make the shot, but it hits a little back. After some range reading issues, I put another shot into him around 415 yards and he expires after a few steps. He is a big, beautiful Copper Springbok Ram with awesome caramel-colored horns that match the Impala I shot on the first morning. We take some great photos and drop him off at the salt shed then head back to the main lodge for lunch.
Wayde Copper Springbok 5.jpg

Lunch was chicken and cheese wraps with fries and salad. After lunch I call home and speak with my 4-year-old son Porter and my wife. Everyone seems to be taking a nap, so I help of one of the PH’s GC in getting Mr. Mark and Mrs. Karen into a warthog blind setup. Upon my return, I set up Pieter’s gun with a Thermal scope to get ready for Jackal hunting the next few nights. Side note, Nic and me are self-appointed local night hunting experts ha-ha. We head to the range and get the Thermal setup sighted in then go on a game drive enjoying the night. Dinner was Springbok kabobs, Gemsbok steaks, roasted potatoes, and a broccoli and cauliflower salad. Everything was great but my mood seems somber tonight as I am feeling slightly homesick along with knowing that this dream adventure is close to being over. I head to bed to watch a movie and barley make it through it before I fall asleep. “Goodnight Africa”.

Day #7 of the Safari (7-27-2021; High 67 F – 33 F and windy):

This morning starts with heading to the main lodge for breakfast at 7:30 after a shower. Breakfast is scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage links. This morning we head to another property about 45 minuets northwest of here looking for a White Springbok Ram in my hopes to complete the Springbok Slam. Upon arrival, the property is not very big and is flat. We pull out the big glass and in short order find the two biggest rams on the property. One is pure white with black horns and the other has a caramel saddle and his horns although the same length as the other ram maybe slightly heavier and more of a caramel color to them. I decide to go for the one with the saddleback coat and we make our move. I flat out miss a 350-yard shot just being way to confident and shooting right under him. We take chase and after a short distance the ground gives him up again and I take the 360-yard shot, hitting him high shoulder, low back. He takes off and after another short chase I place another 300-yard shot in his shoulder dropping him. Although being the Springbok I was least looking forward to chasing, I love a few things about this ram. His hide is awesome with so much character along with his horns.
Wayde White Springbok 7.jpg

After some photos we head into Kimberly to stock up on some liquor as the everything is back open as of yesterday. After our slight detour we head back to the lodge for lunch of Gemsbok lasagna (my favorite meal of the trip). After lunch we hang out a while joking around and enjoying each other’s company. For the last few hours, we head out looking for a massive Black Springbok Ram that has been seen recently on the property. We see tons of game on our drive tonight but the ram, which we have named “El Diablo”, has avoided us and the sun sets on another wonderful day in Africa. We head back to the lodge, get cleaned up and changed to enjoy a nice dinner of Garlic Butter Chicken, coleslaw, and halved squash. We have a few drinks and all head to bed early tonight. “Goodnight Africa”.

Day #8 of the Safari (7-28-2021; High 72 F – Low 39 F):

We all get a late start this morning as one of the couples in camp need to head to town for their Covid test for their return flight. We have breakfast of over easy eggs, bacon, sausage links, and toast. Today everyone in camp is going to head to a property an hour away from the main lodge to see some rhinos and try and kill a few warthogs. Upon arrival at the property, the security, fencing, and gates show that there is some different game behind the fence line than what we have been hunting the past 7 days.
Steyn Safaris Rhino Farm.jpg

We start splitting up as Mr. Mark and Mrs. Karen will sit in a blind over a waterhole on the west side of the property. Mr. Scott and Mrs. Donna also sit overlooking a waterhole but on the east side of the property. Dolf, Nic and me decide to drive the property trying to spot a nice Common Springbok, Black Springbok or Blesbok. 5 minuets into Mr. Mark’s hunt he puts down a very nice warthog with his handgun. Shortly after that Mr. Scott also puts down a nice warthog. We are spotting some nice game just not what I am looking for to finish my Springbok Slam. The sun conditions also make it a challenge as it’s not too hard to mistake a black and copper for each other in some of these light conditions. After passing a few rams, I set up and take a 350-yard shot on a nice Black Springbok Ram feeding all by himself. The shot breaks and I hit him right behind the should and he humps up and takes a couple steps. I rack another round in the gun and place another shot right next to the first which drains him empty before tipping him over backwards. We saw larger rams and feel I should have waited them out but there was something about the way he was by himself and the thought of being “tagged out” in Africa to enjoy the last few days that was too intriguing for me to pass up. We took some great photos and took him to the property skinning shed as they process all animals themselves on this property.
Wayde Black Springbok 8.jpg

After a lunch of KFC (Kimberly Fried Chicken) and a bunch of laughs as we travel across the world to be eating KFC in the middle of the bush, we decided since we had to wait for the skinners to do their job we decided to go look around for another opportunity and another Marupa PH, GC Du Plessis, decided to join us for the rest of the afternoon.
Marupa Safaris Nic Eating KFC.jpg

We cover some ground, spotting some Rhinos and Cape Buffalo “sharing” a water hold. I laugh as of my thought of massiveness of the Cape Buffalo from the first morning diminishes once I see them next to each other. I cannot believe how small a Rhino can make a Cape Buffalo look. As it always works, we spot a proper Black Springbok Ram, but Nic decides to pass on it. As the end of the day approaches, we spot a nice Common Springbok Ram that Nic determines is big enough for a closer look at. After a little cat and mouse, a 370-yard shot, with a perfect bullet being placed and the ram makes is 10 yards before expiring. This is a very nice, old ram and some great photos were taken.
Nic Second Common Springbok Group.jpg

We head to the skinning shed again to collect the other trophies took today and to get Nic’s Springbok cleaned and processed. We make the long trip back to the lodge to enjoy the campfire and a nice dinner of beef steaks, cheesy potatoes, and salad. We enjoy more than a few drinks and play another game of 30 seconds before heading to bed. “Goodnight Africa”.

Day #9 of the Safari (7-29-2021; High 70 F – Low 31 F):

This morning comes a little slow to a few of us for the poor decision we decided to make last night into the early morning. The power to camp is off and we quickly learn that the power provider is performing some peak shaving/maintenance work, but it’s supposed to be back on by 4 pm. Nic and me head to the main lodge to say our goodbyes to Mr. Mark and Mrs. Karen as GC is planning to take the to Joberg this morning for their departure flight. Although we didn’t get to spend much time with them, they have been welcoming in camp and a pleasure to talk to. We talk to GC for a few moments and say our goodbyes to him also as he will be staying in Joberg to pick another client up in a few days and spend some time with family. Pieter has taken the other couple in camp to Kimberly for their Covid tests to prepare for their departure tomorrow. Dolf, Nic, and I hop in the Land Cruiser and head to a nearby property on the search for a Black Springbok or Blesbok for Nic. Right off the bat we stumble into a nice 12–13-inch Black Springbok ram but Nic decides to pass. Not long after we find another one about the same size and Nic passes again, and it seems we are on more of a Springbok inventory adventure then a hunting adventure which suits me just fine. A couple hours in we find a nice heard of Blesbok and Nic quickly locates the bull and decides he wants to take him. After about 3 setups Nic is presented with a 240-yard shot and as soon as he squeezes the trigger, we all know he misses. He instantly says he jerked the trigger which makes me laugh a little knowing he’s this excited to hunt Blesbok. We keep maneuvering through the bush and the bull finally gives Nic an opportunity at 320 yards. Nic makes a nice shot, slightly low, but the bull goes 60-80 yards and drops. The animal is a warrior as his face is all scared up and his right eye is blind. We take some photos and load him up to continue our journey.
Nic Blesbok 1.jpg

We cover a bunch of ground seeing Golden Wildebeest, Golden Gemsbok, Bontebok, Tsessebe, Warthogs, Impala (White, Black, and Common), and around 500 Springboks of every color. We head back to the main lodge and drop Nic’s Blesbok off at the skinning shed. The power is still off, and I decide to head for a walkabout around the property. I sit on a koppie and reflect on this adventure. In a days’ time we will be heading back to Joberg to fly back home. I am going to miss the peacefulness, the lack of complexity to daily life and starting to already fear the return of the “daily grind” when I get back home. Wi-Fi in camp and Facetime has made staying connected to family easy which I am grateful for. At sunset I head back to camp and sit around the campfire. Pieter has made homemade Pizza’s for dinner which were fantastic.
Marupa Safaris Pizza Dinner.jpg

After dinner we decide to head out to try and show these SA boys how to call predators. First set we call in a double but someone who will remain unnamed missed both. Second set we call in an Aardwolf which was cool to see. We call it quits after 2 sets as the SA boys are tired. They say goodnight and I call home before my kids swim lessons to hear how excited he is that he put his face under water for the first time! It hits me hard knowing for the second to last time I will say to myself, “Goodnight, Africa”.

Day #10 of the Safari (7-30-2021; High 70 F – Low 33 F):

Not much planned today as we needed to head into Kimberly for our Covid tests to return to the states. I get up and dressed, head to the lodge to say goodbye to the last couple in camp and enjoy breakfast of eggs, bacon, and sausage links with toast. The camp cook, Mama, also comes to town with us so she can have a few days to spend with her family I believe. The testing facility in Kimberly is a little confusing as the form is not best set up for foreign travelers, but Dolf gives the testing facility his contact information so that way they can get ahold of him with any questions if the come up. We head back to the lodge, eat lunch, and go to the range to check zero of the thermal hunting setup. We spend some time looking to try to cull a few Black Wildebeest cows, but the right opportunities do not present themselves, so we head back for a relaxing afternoon at the lodge. An hour or so before dark we head out to make some Jackal sets. Upon entering the property, we spot anther Aardwolf. We’re all looking at this Aardwolf through binos and Dolf spots a Warthog in the distance, grabs Pieter’s 6.5 Creedmoor and after some “musical chairs” of repositioning makes an awesome shot. After taking some photos and collecting the trophy we head off to make some Jackal sets.
Dolf Warthog.jpg

First one only provides another Aardwolf. Second set we see nothing, and darkness sets in. On the way to the third set we pick up eyes in the headlights and I make a comment that they look to be predator eyes. Nic scans the area with the thermal unit and ends up taking a couple shots at a Jackal, but not connecting. We make a couple more sets with zero results and head back to the lodge for dinner after dropping Dolf’s Warthog off at the skinning shed. Dinner tonight was Pork Chops, fries, and broccoli and cauliflower salad. Tonight, is the first night we sit down for some drinks and watch TV. Nic and I are caught in a conversation of this trip. I get a little choked up thinking that a lifelong dream adventure is about to come to an end, something that I thought may never happen, a dream many never make possible, and for the last time I say, “Goodnight Africa”.

Day #11 of the Safari (7-31-2021/8-01-2021; High 74 F – Low 37 F):

This morning starts off with me trying to avoid getting out of bed, must be some childish way of avoidance to prolong the trip. I crawl out of bed and in short order, shower, pack, and head to the lodge. We eat a light breakfast and have some conversation with Pieter and Dolf about our experience while waiting for our Covid test results. Nic’s results come just fine but for some reason mine do not. In short order Pieter has it sorted out and we say our, “Until next time” and head off to the airport. The five-hour ride to the airport was quiet as I don’t think any of us wanted it to end. Upon arrival at the airport, we unpack the truck and say our goodbyes to Dolf. United in Joberg wanted us to separate our ammo from our luggage which was not the way we did so on the flight in. Guns were cleared and we waited for our plane to arrive.
Links Safari Sticker Joberg Airport.jpg

***I laughed at this as I do not live too far from Jay Link and have had the opportunity to share a drink and conversation with him***
While waiting to board, we meet up with a few guys we met on the flight there and share stories of our adventures. Boarding was simple and easy. The flight was fine, food was awful, plane was packed!
Flight Tracker Return to US.jpg

We land 25 minutes early in Newark NJ, but the crew pulls the plane in too close, and it takes 20 minuets to fix the issue and get the plane reset. We rush through Customs as our connecting flight time is a little tight (2.5 hours). Getting our rifles checked is a painfully slow process as it almost seems like a 45-person free for all. Once completed, we recheck our luggage and go through security and head to a completely different concourse. With 30 minuets before boarding, TSA calls me and asks me where I am at within the airport. I tell them and they ask me to head back to unlock my gun case for inspection. I tell them my gun has been inspected and there is not enough time to “head back” to get it checked again. Well long story short, after telling them not to, they just cut the locks on my gun case and replaced with TSA locks of about 1/10 the value. Regardless we board our connecting flight and land at MSP. After picking up our guns and luggage I meet up with my wife Jen and son Porter who came to pick me up. I say, “Until next time” to Nic as we always do after our adventures and head home to spend some much-needed catchup time with family.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineFu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.