South Africa - CBL "Captive Bred Lion Hunt" progress

As I write this I should be driving or be very close to the Farm in 2 weeks time. Thinking of going to the range tomorrow if time permits otherwise next weekend for a last session.

Hans, sent me best route to travel and I have an eye on maybe taking a nice steenbok or duiker while I am there. If a big Kalahari springbuck ram crosses my path with good set of horns that turn backwards he might be in danger.

I have a nice Kalahari ram from Namibia but its tips don't go back.

Will take my 6.5x55 along as well with 160gr hornadys they are running slow but the mildot scope works great centre for 100 meters and second dot for 200 meters.

Really looking forward to this, it has been a bucket list item but with the changes they might make to CBL lions rather do it now than never. Work keeps me extremely busy the last while and I hope to completely swuthc off from it when I hit the road but as a business owner with many caps running the show its not always possible. But will try my best to ignore work and HUNT.

Moon phase should be just after full hope the cats get tired at night of their strolls.

I will be meeting a forum member on the night we arrive at the lodge and we will enjoy a cold one or two and listen to his adventure as it will be hist last day hunting.

Here we go last stretch 4 days of work ahead then taking the long road for my lioness hunt.
Went to the range yesterday morning between work and fired 17 roundsoff hand with my 458 lott topped with the Trijicon SRO 1 MOA and I'm quite happy.

20210918-093714.jpg

The best group shooting as fast as possible and still aiming properly at 25 meter, practise rounds also 480gr cheap non bonded range ammo. There is actually 4 bullets left upper has 2 bullets through the one hole. This practise load shoot slighty lower than the 480gr Woodleigh RN softs hunt load.

20210918-094106.jpg

My last 3 shot group shooting too fast the last shot went high as you can see.
The woodleigh 480 RN soft are actually made for the 450 NE and open up quiet nicley I shot a zebra total pass trough exit hole was big and zebra went almost completely down then staggered up and ran off another 80 meters massive blood trail. Red hartebeest shot at 120 meter frontal bullet penetrated left of shoulder and ended next to the tail under the skin. Red hartebeest almost dropped and ran of another 60 meters before going down.

20210919-125520.jpg
20200709-151009.jpg

Expansion was superb as well as weight retention will work great on the lion with velocity of 2180fps hope to recover a bullet from the lion.

Lastly photos of my lion fighting gear see I forgot to add my knife in the photo.

20210919-082118.jpg
20210919-082343.jpg

Luckily work is keeping me extremely busy do the next 4 days will fly past. Just hope I get everything arranged in time before Friday morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I have no personal interest in hunting an African lion, I would have no qualms about killing one if it needed to be done. For instance PAC hunt, self defense, defense of others, etc.
From reading the above, there appears to be sufficient interest in this issue that it can be properly vetted.

Here we go last stretch 4 days of work ahead then taking the long road for my lioness hunt.
Went to the range yesterday morning between work and fired 17 roundsoff hand with my 458 lott topped with the Trijicon SRO 1 MOA and I'm quite happy.

View attachment 425209

The best group shooting as fast as possible and still aiming properly at 25 meter, practise rounds also 480gr cheap non bonded range ammo. There is actually 4 bullets left upper has 2 bullets through the one hole. This practise load shoot slighty lower than the 480gr Woodleigh RN softs hunt load.

View attachment 425210

My last 3 shot group shooting too fast the last shot went high as you can see.
The woodleigh 480 RN soft are actually made for the 450 NE and open up quiet nicley I shot a zebra total pass trough exit hole was big and zebra went almost completely down then staggered up and ran off another 80 meters massive blood trail. Red hartebeest shot at 120 meter frontal bullet penetrated left of shoulder and ended next to the tail under the skin. Red hartebeest almost dropped and ran of another 60 meters before going down.

View attachment 425213View attachment 425208

Expansion was superb as well as weight retention will work great on the lion with velocity of 2180fps hope to recover a bullet from the lion.

Lastly photos of my lion fighting gear see I forgot to add my knife in the photo.

View attachment 425211View attachment 425212

Luckily work is keeping me extremely busy do the next 4 days will fly past. Just hope I get everything arranged in time before Friday morning.
When will you be hunting the Lion? From Friday onwards?

Good luck and keep us updated on a daily basis on the progress :)

cheers!

V.

Yes, leaving home Friday the 24th Sept.
I will see how the time goes at the lodge I don't really access the site much from my phone.
Taking my laptop along in case of emergency on work so might start it up if time permits otherwise I have a plan B for updates. (y)

Does anyone have any inside info if these hunts will be available in 2022 or will this truly be the last year permits are issued?

Does anyone have any inside info if these hunts will be available in 2022 or will this truly be the last year permits are issued?

Is there a intent to stop these hunts as a result of outside world and green pressure, yes!
They are having talks around it and its Africa and Africa time.
My feeling about it you stop CBL and the export of lion bones to China will stop all CBL lions will be hunted or destroyed untill no more and then Wild Lions will be poached for their bones same as Rhino for their horns.

Simple economics and unfortunate looser is the wildlife.

So if you can book, book the hunt.

I will be leaving next Friday to do this same hunt. Very much looking forward to it.

I will be leaving next Friday to do this same hunt. Very much looking forward to it.
Same hunt also with DK safaris and what actual date are you leaving?

Yes with DK. Leaving 10/1/21 .....God willing.
So you will be there just after me although I would have loved to stay the whole 6 nights of the package I will probarbly head back home Tuesday already. I might leave you something at the lodge and check out my tracks in the sand if the wind doesnt blow it away.

Good luck and safe travels.

Good day Gentlemen (and I use the term gentlemen very loosely when addressing some of my friends)

The admin lady has (very thoughtful of her) brought this post under my attention.
I am so glad that all our clients are somehow finding out about each other.
It just shows you what a tight knit community us hunters are.
There is no place for crooks and scams in our industry.
Sooner or later the truth comes out and the lies will be exposed.

We are looking forward to have each and every one of you here with us in the Kalahari.
We will show you what true Kalahari hospitality is.

Regarding godwincp's question about lion hunts in 2022.
The South African government wants to shut down all lion hunting in South Africa.
How soon they will be able to do it is a matter open for discussion.
At the moment they are so busy focussing on getting re-elected (election date November 1, 2021) that they will not have time for anything else until the elections are over.
My guess is that it will take all of next year for the whole process to develop.
The government has to first announced their intentions in our Government Gazette and after that there must be sufficient time to allow for public participation and comments. Then it will have to go to parliament for a vote and then it will become law. So it will be a long drawn our process.

So hopefully we will still be able to hunt lions come 2022.

Frederik that is some nice shooting with the 458 Lott.
I have one too so will take my 458 Lott in stead of my double when going with you on your lioness hunt. Lott and Lott incorporated.
See you Friday. Safe travels.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hans, I do hope that common sense and logic prevails on the closing of lion hunt we are already in turmoil with leopard not being easy available and what will be next?

I really don't mind you using the double as backup whatever you are comfortable the most but it will make for a nice photo two Lotts with the lioness. Going to enjoy having a cold one with you after my long drive on Friday :D Cheers:

It's mind boggling to think I started planning this in March and we are finally here.

Just some teazers but in the meantime afyer 2 days we haven't found any signs of the lions yet. We are thinking they are holding up on a kill they have made.

This place is magic loving it.
IMG_5104.jpg
IMG_5107.jpg

Waiting for the magic to happen ! :A Popcorn:

The images look fantastic! That looks like a great springbuck! Waidmannsheil @Frederik !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg