South Africa - CBL "Captive Bred Lion Hunt" progress

I am not in favour of shooting apex predators ; but that is my personal own belief ; I have had some good and close sightings of lions in national parks across south africa and southern africa. Best experiences though were in the central kalahari game reserve (came upon fresh spoor trying to assist a vehicle bogged down in a muddy patch; a male lion spotted by another driver was near a bush about 400 m from us ) and in the Kruger NP where we spent 4 days in a private small fenced camp not too far from satara main camp ; we walked in the bush led by a Lead tracker/ranger and an assistant tracker both armed with 458 rifles ; we tracked animals on foot and came across plains game and also 2 black rhinos , elephant and best of it was when we came upon tracks of 2 male lions ; we could not see them ahead and around us and they just kept walking ahead of us ( group of 8 people ) all the time ; we could only spot the fresh spoor and near a small spruit of water I had the opportunity of putting my closed hand/fist upon the spoor of one of the lions ; eventually after a few hours we came back to the vehicle and back to camp for lunch ; later that same day afternoon we just did the game drive and finally made contact and spotted them - 2 males -possibly according to the Lead Tracker /ranger , a coalition ; my other experience was in the Kafue Np in zambia ; we camped at Chris Mc Bride camp site and one night heard lion calling near the camp ; the next morning we took on foot at first light and followed the spoor and were able to spot them not far in the bush ; I clearly remember that it was a pair - male and female and the moment they saw us they took off in a great hurry ! That late morning walking back to camp we had a fright when Chris got agitated and advised for all to be at the ready to climb trees in case a nearby bull hippo decided to charge ; in all the walking /tracking experiences that I have had it is always an added sense of excitement and anticipation that I have whenever I walk in big five areas ; I always feel kind of "vulnerable" knowing that a small video camera is not the 375 rifle that I left at home and also because one depends on the advise , experience and decision making of someone else leading the group.

@Frederik & @degoins, gents good luck on hunting your lions. I'll be there in 22 following your steps :) I may reach out to you gents for pointers, advice, etc, etc.

@degoins, BTW I'm taking the 375 I bought from you. :)

Now, @Frederik get on it and kill that lion will ya. Want to read all about it. :ROFLMAO: :A Popcorn:

Para best of luck to you. I'm tickled to death you're taking the .375.

Para best of luck to you. I'm tickled to death you're taking the .375.

Yea sir, she needs to go to Africa where she belongs. I have her set up with two Trjicon scopes, one for plains game and the other for the lioness hunt (y)

degoins,

I left something at the camp for you to enjoy. You are in super great professional hands it will be a lifetime experience.

Just arrived back home need to sort out some work urgently then onto doing a proper report.

All I can say for now is WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!

JLZL5466.JPG

Thanks Frederik!!
Your comments have me even more excited about my visit......and I didn't think that was possible.
Cant wait to see your report.

degoins,

I left something at the camp for you to enjoy. You are in super great professional hands it will be a lifetime experience.

Just arrived back home need to sort out some work urgently then onto doing a proper report.

All I can say for now is WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!

View attachment 427370

Looking forward to the full report @Frederik! I’m sure you made some memories for a lifetime !

Is there a intent to stop these hunts as a result of outside world and green pressure, yes!
They are having talks around it and its Africa and Africa time.
My feeling about it you stop CBL and the export of lion bones to China will stop all CBL lions will be hunted or destroyed untill no more and then Wild Lions will be poached for their bones same as Rhino for their horns.

Simple economics and unfortunate looser is the wildlife.

I don't think there is any correlation between CBL lions and wild lion poaching. The market is there regardless and the poachers will attempt to poach whether there is another source for bones etc. or not.

So, it is not simple economics in RSA where there are NO wild lions that can be hunted.

It would be a matter of economics and the "unfortunate loser" would be the wildlife if the hunting of lions were to be banned in the countries that do allow wild lion hunts.

I don't think there is any correlation between CBL lions and wild lion poaching. The market is there regardless and the poachers will attempt to poach whether there is another source for bones etc. or not.

So, it is not simple economics in RSA where there are NO wild lions that can be hunted.

It would be a matter of economics and the "unfortunate loser" would be the wildlife if the hunting of lions were to be banned in the countries that do allow wild lion hunts.
Yes you are correct but if bones are supplied the price is down if bones are not legally supplied the price will go up and will make it much more tempting for poachers to take a chance.

Ok so here is a quick summary of my hunt and I will then do a seperate post for s full report.

Arrived 2pm on Friday the 24th unpakced and headed out to the range to check rifles and headed out 4pm. Rifles were Carl Gustav 6.5x55 and my CZ550 458 Lott topped with Trijicon SRO reflex sight.
Ammunition was self loaded 160gr Hornady Interlocks for the 6.5 at a very moderate 2400fps
480gr Woodleigh RSN at 2180fps.

Main PH was Frikkie (I'll fill in when he gets to me forgot his surname) with Hans de Klerk joining on the lion when we were on fresh tracks.

First afternoon enjoyed the sights and sounds of the Kalahari have been 4 years since I have been there. The property is 17 000 acres with a camp around the main house and there is a seperate camp for the hunters about 2km from the main house.
Camp is very comfortobale with all needed and not to flashy just the way I like it.

So as we head out for the afternoon Hans told Frikkie that staff needs rations and warties non trophy are on the score if we found.

Arrivale day afternoon 1 ration wartie no fresh tracks or sight of the 3 lions that is currently roaming the property.

IMG_E5107.JPG

Day 2 Saturday No tracks or signs again for the whole day manage to bag a monster of a springbuck in my eyes early afternoon. Spotted him not far from the shooting range next to the camp and a 2km stalk with me almost giving up and telling Frikkie to rather that we concentrate on finding lion signs. Eventually the ram walked in an area where he felt safe and the wind was good.

Day 3 Sunday I am wondering if there is any lions on the property woke up extra early Saturday and Sunday to hear any lions roaring in the cool crisp before dawn light. Went out earlier and 7:30 am we found fresh tracks. 9:30 am hot on her tracks with seeing her move from shade to shade. 10:01 am exactly I fired shot one 5 seconds later and 3 shots later all mine she was down.
Distances to first shot 30 paces.

It was unbelieveable after making sure she was down the whole crew let me have my quiet time with her it was surreal emotional and felt like a huge goal in my life has been completed.

IMG_E5188.JPG

IMG_5174.JPG

Later the afternoon we bumped into another ration wartie and very nice steenbuck ram that was also on my wishlist.

IMG_E5201.JPG

Monday last full day spent looking for more warties with one more to the list and Frikkie managed to bag a jackal just before dark after I botched the shot shooting just over his back.

As a recap the Lions do what they please on the property they are released 30 days before the hunt and also in a group normally 6 that means lion one will be hunted on day 31 but the rest will be out longer and so the process goes on.

De Klerk Safaris as an ex Outfitter and PH gets 5 stars in the way they handle the outfit paperwork is done properly there is no funny extra costs that suddenly pop out and what they quote is what you pay. I obviously look at everything with good inside knowledge but never as a South African local hunter did I feel like a real paying client like I did on this adventure. It was very odd to be treated like any other international client.

Don't go there for a diet food out of this world with some new dishes that the Kalahari hospitality treated me with.

Please note I did not get any special deal and paid full price for the hunt advertised.
I just hope and pray they can keep lion hunting open as I would so wish to be able to take my son one day for his lion hunt.

BTW is there a way to edit the Title of the post as it is not in progress anymore and just would like to edit the title to Hunt Completed. I see I cannot edit the post.

Congrats on some fine trophies Frederik!! And thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Congratulations, beautiful lioness. Are you going to keep it, and do a full body mount?

Congratulations, beautiful lioness. Are you going to keep it, and do a full body mount?
No pedestral type skull mount to put on a table with jaws open and then flatskin.

congrats
i am doing my hunt next week, cant wait

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!