So what is it about hunting?

I dont have to answer emails, my phone, or make someone feel special about their job for a few weeks.

Africa thing works really well for that as folks think you’re in some exotic location. Mean while I have better cell service anywhere in SA, Namibia, or Zimbabwe then I do at home. LOL.

There are only two things that put me at total peace: holding my wife's hand, and hunting. Since she is often my hunting buddy, I get to do both at times. :) The rest of the emotions and benefits of hunting, well, you all know, and that is what makes the total experience so joyful and addicting.

Safe hunting

To me, hunting invokes many different feelings.

The anticipation in planning a hunting trip. The challenge of the hunt itself. Testing one's patience and self reliance.

Fascination with the game animals and nature. Being emersed into the cycles of life and death while being a participant in nature, instead of just being an observer.

Learning something new and building skill levels with each hunt. The gathering of knowledge and honeing of skills never stops unless you're not paying attention.

Tradition. Fulfilling a primal drive that kept our ancestors alive. Being with family and friends. Being solo with your thoughts. The feeling of being absolutely free from the normal toils of your every day life.

The tools and gear along with the rituals that come with maintaining them.

Well kept rifles. Some blued steel and walnut, some coated steel and plastic. A well worn hunting shirt. A grandfather's hand me down wool coat. A new camo pattern soft shell. A sharp fixed blade. A trusty pair of boots. A new rifle. An old shotgun.

Each piece of gear wether traditional or modern fits a certain mood of the moment. Some days traditional rules the roost, while other times the current trend drives the attitude. Moods and tastes evolve and shift. All have a place and time when it comes to my hunts.

Memories made. Bonds shared between friends and family. In the end, the intangibles that live in our minds are the most important things I get from the hunting experience. This above all is what it's all about. The other things mentioned above merely help create them.

I grew up in the country on farms and the free roaming on paddock and in plantation etc established a love for the outdoors that has never dimmed. Hunting rabbits with Dad to get the meat for the table and on one occasion to get the skins so he could teach me how to cure them then make a pair of winter mitts for me added another dimension to the love of outdoors.
Hunting has always primarily been for the table but being out there is as, and sometimes more important then getting table fare. On some occasions the light lunch we would take just to sit and enjoy the peace of the high country was the highlight of the outing so coming home without seeing animals was never a dissapointment.
Being able to add the love of the use and making/building of firearms and knives we all need to enjoy the fruits of our hunts has added another dimension that has continued to give pleasure even when no outings are possible for any of the many reasons that keeps us from being out there on the hill/ in the scrub/ on the plains or wherever we get the most enjoyment from the outdoors.

Great question Kevin! I’ve pondered this a lot and I don’t think I have THE ANSWER.

Most of the wonderful aspects of hunting, especially going far afield, can be experienced without pursuing game. The joy of traveling and seeing new places, meeting new people, living in a different culture, all of these are possible without hunting. The same for being in the field. One can do that with a camera instead of a gun.

I’ve given up trying to explain my obsession. There’s no need to explain it to hunters. There’s no way to explain it to those who don’t hunt. The truth is, I was born a Hunter. It’s not what I do, it’s who I am.

I think for most of us (me included) hunting is not just a hobby. I would consider myself a hunter even if I didn't own rifles - in fact I am a bowhunter, too.
Hunting is who I am.
Is like to light a fire, making sex or looking at the stars : something we as a species have always done.
It's also something that connect us with our roots, and genetics habits.
Hunting put us in the right place in the path of mankind.
Screenshot_20230625-001031.png

Last edited:
BINGO! You absolutely nailed it! It is the primal connection to the earth, environment, animals on their turf. It takes you far beyond opening a pack of steaks someone else cut with a side of Cheetos. It takes back to what we really all are.
Perfect.....

The answer is a deeply personal collection things.
Last year, bear hunting in Manitoba, I was literally surrounded by bear. I watched. I learned. I enjoyed. No one else around for several miles.
One of the most profound experiences I've had.

Great question, I don’t really have an answer, I don’t remember ever not being a hunter, I agree with what many others have stated, when not hunting or fishing I am 9 times out of 10 thinking about hunting or fishing.

Great question with a lot of great replies.

Hunting is as many have said a "personal" feeling.

Hunting isn't or should never be about the killing. That is the inevitable last thing.

Hunting is an excuse. The same as going fishing, camping, hiking, etc.. It's all about unplugging, unwinding, and getting outdoors.

Pitting ones own skills against an animal: in " "their" home; on their turf: whatever. Okay, yeah, that is a part of the reason to hunt.

Ancestral; food on the table; okay those reasons too.

We hunt because we are at the tip of the food chain.

We hunt because hunting is becoming a lost art. An art that we want to preserve and pass down to the next generation.

Hunting is being able to stalk to within a very few yards of our quarry. After having tracked our quarry from the first "footprint", the first spotting, finding fresh scat or any other tell tale sign.

We hunt, or should consider why we hunt, as a Right of Passage, that we have the knowledge, experience, and skills to beat the odds to survive in a "hostile" environment/ situation.

Hunting is nothing more than giving a meaning and a purpose to what is life.

This is proving to be personal and deep. For me I like to get all the senses going, so the hardware, the apparel, reading, immersion before and writing about it afterwards. It is about breaking out in a smile at the joy of it all and nobody knows what you are thinking about.

What is it about this pursuit, this sport, this way of life that grabs your interest and keeps your interest? It is more than just interest, it is passion, devotion, longing, all strong feelings.
I think it is a lot of things, for some the beautiful animals themselves, others the rifles and to others it is the great outdoors where it all happens. Of course it is all of these things in varying degrees and speaking for myself I find it swings from one to the other, so the meal is always interesting. Right now, as I tick off the days and months until my Ruger No1 arrives it is the hardware that has my attention the most.
It’s hard to put into words but when the safari is over and you hear and see the charter plane land, you’re not real happy to witness the end of the hunt! Can’t wait to go back!

To me, hunting invokes many different feelings.

The anticipation in planning a hunting trip. The challenge of the hunt itself. Testing one's patience and self reliance.

Fascination with the game animals and nature. Being emersed into the cycles of life and death while being a participant in nature, instead of just being an observer.

Learning something new and building skill levels with each hunt. The gathering of knowledge and honeing of skills never stops unless you're not paying attention.

Tradition. Fulfilling a primal drive that kept our ancestors alive. Being with family and friends. Being solo with your thoughts. The feeling of being absolutely free from the normal toils of your every day life.

The tools and gear along with the rituals that come with maintaining them.

Well kept rifles. Some blued steel and walnut, some coated steel and plastic. A well worn hunting shirt. A grandfather's hand me down wool coat. A new camo pattern soft shell. A sharp fixed blade. A trusty pair of boots. A new rifle. An old shotgun.

Each piece of gear wether traditional or modern fits a certain mood of the moment. Some days traditional rules the roost, while other times the current trend drives the attitude. Moods and tastes evolve and shift. All have a place and time when it comes to my hunts.

Memories made. Bonds shared between friends and family. In the end, the intangibles that live in our minds are the most important things I get from the hunting experience. This above all is what it's all about. The other things mentioned above merely help create them.
What he said! Wow, very well written and I think covered it all. But I’ll add some thoughts…

I’ve enjoyed hunting and fishing my whole life and usually don’t get enough of either. My first thought when asked similar questions to this is it’s all about being out in nature and not just observing but really being part of it as several have said and Primal said perfectly as
Then since it was my Dad who introduced me to it and it was always with family and friends, the next thought for me is the bonds you make, the special times shared that feel unique and rare and many will never get to appreciate.

The challenge has also always been there because often you don’t succeed. And then you learn that’s ok and I always leave the field or come off the water glad I went and got nothing than to have not gone at all.

Gear has also always been part of the equation. A ‘boys and their toys’ kind of thing…but also fits as part of the challenge. Finally, it has to be nature and the people who you share it with and the emotions and feelings that the adventures inspire that keeps us coming back.

I think for most of us (me included) hunting is not just a hobby. I would consider myself a hunter even if I didn't own rifles - in fact I am a bowhunter, too.
Hunting is who I am.
Is like to light a fire, making sex or looking at the stars : something we as a species have always done.
It's also something that connect us with our roots, and genetics habits.
Hunting put us in the right place in the path of mankind.
View attachment 541829
You say it so eloquently..man has done the things you mention for at least 200.000 years..

Who can question 200.000 years of evolution..? Makes the antis look plain silly..

Like Von Gruff, I grew up on a farm. In my case, the farm my great grandparents homesteaded in Canada. I spent all my spare time in the woods and ponds with a rifle or fishing rod. In my teens I took to following the Coureur des bois and Hudson Bay trading routes through Northern Canada, and became quite proficient at canoe trekking. My career was intentionally pursued to allow me to spend most of my adult life in Wyoming and Alaska.

All of this was done to maximize my time in the bush. For me it’s not a pursuit, it’s who I am. I could no more change it than I could stop breathing.

Now in retirement I live on a farm where I spend my time in wildlife habitat development, longleaf pine restoration and shooting. I am truly blessed to be able to live the life I love.

For me its part of life and who I am non of my family are hunters except my son now but I always had the urge to hunt it came natural and part of my DNA.

Going out with friends and having dinner or a couple of drinks is good but having a fire and in the bush is just ten times better.
Hunting also make me a goal setter and the pursuit to make it happen is all part of the journey.

Except for all the above it the right thing to do hunting is true conservation on grassroot level.

its multi-faceted for me...

I live in a sprawling metropolitan area (7.6M people in the metro area).. and my life is extremely "busy"... between work, family, church, and school obligations a typical day starts about 530AM and doesnt end until 6PM or later for work.. and then the other obligations kick in and typically keep me engaged until anywhere from 8-10PM... thats M-F... then Sat and Sun theres at least another 6-8 hours in the day tied up with everything from honey-do's to completing tasks that just didnt get handled during the work week..

Getting outdoors (whether its hunting, hiking, camping, or just sitting by the fire) allows me to "unplug" for a short while and re-charge my batteries..

I experience something extremely different from my normal routine and daily life.. there arent 7.6M million people bustling around with all of the associated noise and chaos of trucks rolling down the highway, planes flying overhead, neighbors dogs barking, etc... EVERYTHING is different.. from the sounds, smells, visuals, etc.. it is both relaxing, and engaging at the same time as my brain and body get to focus on a completely different environment for a little while..

I also very intentionally slow down while I am out in the woods/bush/etc... I might "hunt hard" and be out for several hours of the day hiking up and down hills, carrying gear, etc.. but I get in no actual hurry over anything... I purposely dont check the phone, or emails, etc.. and will only engage people from my normal daily life if there is a no kidding emergency at hand..

Hunting (and other outdoors activities) is how I keep from "burning out" in all other aspects of life.. those 3-5 days I'll spend in deer/hog came 2-3 times a year... and 5-7 days I'll spend at a lodge or camp in Africa, or South America, or Europe 1-2 times a year, along with the additional 4-5 weekend "hunts" I'll do each year are what keep me able to continue push hard and maintain those 14-18 hour days all of the other times of the year that are necessary for me to accomplish what is required of me at work, school, church, family, etc etc etc..

I look forward to the day when my daily life can incorporate a greater amount of my "hunting/outdoors" life into it.. within the next 5 +/- years the intent is to leave the metroplex, find a small "farm" (50-80 acres?) in the middle of nowhere, and start the transition to retirement (which will probably take another 3-5 years)... and begin to slow down a bit..

But for now.. hunting is the medicine I require to keep my body, mind, and soul intact (if people think I can be an ogre of a boss now... I can only imagine how hard I'd be to work for if I spent 52 weeks a year in the office lol)...

the fact that by participating in hunting I also do something positive related to conservation, can bring healthy food to the table, get to travel the globe and do a little adventuring, etc is really icing on the cake for me...

I could certainly pick up other hobbies that would force me to unplug (do a Bill Gates type week long sequestration to an isolated location and just read and meditate and think.. or maybe pick up sailing as a hobby, etc)... but Im pretty happy with the things I have selected.. they have worked well for me.. I see no reason to change :)

Kevin, about 25 years ago I bought a 30-06 Ruger No. 1 from a friend of mine. He was one of those guys that try to wring every last bit of accuracy out of every rifle he owned. While the accuracy of the rifle from the factory wasn't bad, he decided to "fire-lap" it. Now the accuracy is outstanding. Cloverleafed shots are now pretty much the norm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebaidoithuong0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.