Snakes!

Having never hunted Africa the thought has crossed my mind how often hunters encounter snakes

Being a forester and hunter I used to be in forest and bush on a daily basis. I only remember two snakes, python and puffadder. The python was lying across the gravel road. I thought what is that telephone pole doing there? Only when close to that thing I realized it’s a huge python.

The puffadder I encountered whilst hunting kudu. It was busy swallowing a mouse. My black guide grabbed a stick to kill the snake, however I stopped him. Why killing a snake for fun? Around our house in the Western Cape we saw Cape Cobras quite often. All of them I killed with my S & W Centennial Airweight.

94596055_10158332480747065_4591100751278768128_o.jpg

In all my nearly 50 years living, working or enjoying the bush I can only remember 3 occasions where I have almost been bitten by venomous snakes.

First time was in about 1994 when i managing a farm and game farm in Kabwe, Zambia. Growing over my house was a a huge African Wild Fig tree and everyday I'd come home, take off the shoes and sit in the lounge and hear some sort of snake moving on the corrugated iron roof. In order to try and see what it was I left the front door open and when I heard it again I ran out onto the lawn and walked backwards until I could see on the roof. Something told me to stop and look down... about 4 inches from my heal was a baby puff adder of about 6 inches... that would have been a painful bite!

Second occasion was while enjoying Christmas holidays at Lake Kariba, Zimbabwe around 1996-7... the aircon wasn't working in the house and the valley gets rather hot that time of year, around 40 degrees C (around 100 degrees F)... I decided to set up my tent outside and sleep in there with the flaps open and a breeze through the mosquito netting. Everyday I'd zip up the net to ensure no unwanted visitors entered. The maid who serviced the place decided to make my bed on the first day but didn't zip the netting up again... Every night I'd check bedding, shoes etc etc... even lifting the tent bag that was thrown in the corner... It was only on the last day while packing up that I grabbed the tent bag by the bottom strap and a night adder fell out and landed on my bare foot! Needless to say I brown striped it out of there! Once I realised what it was and that it didn't have 6 foot fangs with venom drops the size of footballs I removed to with a stick and placed in the bush...

I think the closest I came to potential death and/or suffering was about 5 years ago... was called to our companies training site as they saw a snake but could no further info. By the time I arrived they only knew that it had gone into the change rooms outside. Carefully entering and checking as I went I eventually found it. I knew straightaway that it a Rhinkals (Basically a cobra but not a true cobra). These snakes spit their venom and bite but only bite if EXTREMELY provoked. They usually play dead very convincingly. As I didn't have any equipment with me I went outside found some safety goggles, a bucket with lid as well as a piece of wire I tied to the end of a broom stick. Now properly equipped I went back in... but try as I might I could not find this bloody snake even though it was about 4.5 - 5 foot... Knowing snakes as well as I do I know that Rhinkals are terrestial snakes and are very very rarely found off the ground. They can sometimes be found in low bushes either basking or hunting frogs (their favourite)... so I made a thorough progressive search all the way through the change rooms. No luck. But right at the end was a single toilet that had a half built wall that only went up to just above the lintel of the door. Now, knowing that they are terrestrial and not arboreal I didn't bother to look up... I entered the cubicle and searched behind the door, behind the toilet, inside the toilet... nothing!?!?!?! Backing out I looked up and the thing was hooded up already and not happy at all... I wouldn't have minded if it spat at me as I had eye protection but a bite directly to the head (which at its closest was only about half a foot from the snake) would probably have punched my ticket. I have the pics on my other laptop and will post them once I get a chance.

Even working for a snake park doing demos with constrictors was fun but I respect all snakes... some more than others

Last edited:
??

54435342_2970863819594088_2843066417769611264_n.jpg

92940637_657400118445930_3398736783876292608_n.jpg

?
94474528_10156826102762513_1471675126704504832_n.jpg

95331475_10158599073383296_5947348657673076736_o.jpg

94892078_3393097267369153_2379632166561644544_o.jpg

Just hired a photographer taking photos of her kids.
She must be so proud.
:eek::eek:

69899335_2652504584808656_7461043785896558592_n.png

Having never hunted Africa the thought has crossed my mind how often hunters encounter snakes. The videos of hunting I have seen seem to often end with a jog through Bushveld at a pace where spotting snakes would be impossible whilst often wearing shorts. How many times do those in the hunting party get bitten or have near misses?
I've hunted in Namibia five times and only encountered one small horned adder that the tracker stepped over and my PH leapt back from.
Last year we found dried out remains of a python with the remains of it's last meal similarly dried out.
It's not something you ever really think about unless you see one.
DSC_0475.jpeg

In nine safaris I’ve seen one puff adder, one very large python and had a boomslang in our bathroom. We’ve seen a number of skins.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in Africa on humanitarian work during the warm season. We saw a reasonable number on those trips. My closest call was a mamba in the kitchen. I saw something odd in the corner of the kitchen cupboards and realized it was a snake. Three feet of it was on the floor and at least three feet of it was laid out across the upper cupboards. I kept an eye on it and called for help.

My Grandfather used to work in the Forestry Department at Glass House mountains in Queensland, Australia. He regularly caught poisonous snakes (Taipans, Death Adders, Browns, etcetera) to send to the Serum Laboratories. He would bag the snakes up in hessian bags, and put them in a box on the train, which would the be collected at a southern railway Station by the Laboratory Staff. He would mark on the box, fragile, Danger and handle with care. That was until some new railway station crew arrived, they questioned my grandfather on what was in the boxes, and when he openly told them that they were snakes, they totally refused to let the boxes come aboard. Well, as the boxes were sitting on the platform my grandfather , re-adjusted his pipe to the corner of his mouth, and started whistling casually as he opened up one box, and retrieved the first sack from it and started opening the it up. Well the station crew started to scream in fear, asking what the hell he was doing? My grandfather responded, "if you are not taking them, I might as well let em go".

It's amazing how quickly the station crew agreed to take the boxes on board. :ROFLMAO::)

The largest death adder that I have seen came from Glass House mountains, it measured approximately 4 foot, my grandfathers forestry colleague caught it, and he still had it preserved in a large glass container in formalin, just in case nobody believed the measurements. Death adders are usually small things, but deadly. It must have been a freak of nature, just like the odd giant human.

Talking about freaks of nature, when my grandfather had his farm at Thika, there was a big swamp down the back, full of monkeys, and snakes (buffalo too). Well, the local tribe called for him, as they had found a huge African Rock Python, which had the potential to cause issues on the farm, and upon the tribes request, he shot it with the 12 gauge. He measured the snake, a touch over 20 foot, that was un-skinned. Shame he didn't take photos, as, like other settlers, thought pythons were pythons, and had no idea that it wasn't normal for one to get that big. He said that he did keep the skin but it was left in the shed on the farm, when the Pollies forcefully purchased it.

One day he decided to put his reading glasses on and go read a book in his lounge room. Thank god he had his glasses on, as a 6 foot black spitting cobra was lying right across his books on his book shelf which he once again introduced to the 12 gauge, but boy, did he regret it, as he damaged a lot of his treasured books in the process. It's strange how a person who could catch Taipans and Brown snakes felt uncomfortable in catching and releasing a spitting cobra, but as it was cornered in his lounge room, I suppose I can understand.

Taipans and Browns are Australia's answer to the Black Mambas, just half the length of a mamba though. Both Taipans, and Browns are inquisitive, fast, and sometimes, unpredictable, but Browns are like Marijuana/Hemp smokers when they go cold turkey, they are totally aggressive and bitchy. I have dealt with a lot of Browns, but thankfully the only Taipans I have met face to face, is through the glass of my friends snake collection, and at various zoos. All I can say is that they come up to you, to face you behind the glass, not as in aggression, more like in a scary domineering curious way. :) My mate also advised that Taipans are great escape artists, and hence keepers have to be on the ball, and always check the entire room out prior to letting visitors in, and he was really really serious about that.

I was also introduced to something I had never come across before, what a reptile keeper calls a 'Feed Hungry' snake, his one being a Brown Snake around 6 foot. Unlike other Brown's in the room in other containers, he would not allow strangers to feed him, as when you open the lid of the tank/Aquarium, this Brown would lunge at you, leaping half out of the tank to attempt to to snatch food from your hand before you could drop the food in the tank. Hence, the term 'Feed Hungry'! I actually witnessed the snake doing this, it was totally unreal.

Most of my encounters with Australia's poisonous snakes have occurred out in the scrub during Fishing and hunting Trips, some of the encounters being hilarious, and others just fascinating. I unlike others do not kill them, just leave them be, but sometimes the damned things disobey the scientific books and seriously come at you, but I still refuse to kill them. By the way, reptiles are protected in Australia, only certain licensed people can capture snakes legally. But feel free to view them in the wild.

Regards

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.