Snakes!

The outfitter/ph says green mamba. Either way—dead snake now. View attachment 341442

Sorry, I am not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think your outfitter is right. I am not trying to contradict you, you are only posting what your outfitter told you.

Most people don't know much about boomslangs, and any green snake they call a green mamba. I have seen a couple dozen green mambas in my life and none have near that much black on them.(Probably seen around 100 boomslangs) Also the eye of the snake in your photo is large compared to the size of the head which is a characteristic of the boomslang, not the green mamba.

Both boomslangs and green mambas are arboreal. The boomslang is more terrestrial and finds itself in a setting like the one in your photo much more often than a green mamba.

Also look at the area of distribution for both snakes. Green mambas only occupy a small strip along the east coast of RSA. They are no where close to warthog safaris in Ellisras. Boomslangs occupy most areas of sub Saharan Africa.

Neat photo. Thanks for posting it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomslang

Boomslang photo

1280px-Dispholidus_typus.jpg

Boomslang area of distribution

5749778.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_green_mamba

Green Mamba
1280px-Mamba_Dendroaspis_angusticeps.jpg

Green Mamba area of distribution

1024px-D-angusticeps-range.png

Attachments

• 1024px-D-angusticeps-range.png
    359.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 1280px-Dispholidus_typus.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 1280px-Mamba_Dendroaspis_angusticeps.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 5749778.jpg
    5749778.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
No worries! I’m a scientist by training—don’t mind correction or education!!

It is said, that a Boomslang bite can cause bleeding from every pore on the body. Yikes!

Looks like a cottonmouth moccasin to me.

You sir are correct. I asked the next Monday morning did it rattle at him? He said it was a large cotton mouth. I meant to correct my post but forgot.

I like to forget snake encounters as quickly as possible else I’ll have that damn dream where there is a big snake after me and all I can do is run in place.

Spar supermarket-Lowveld....

93277989_1124689261218804_5398295444600127488_n.jpg

Yogurts on the floor give a taste of the reality of the situation!

Sorry, I am not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think your outfitter is right. I am not trying to contradict you, you are only posting what your outfitter told you.

Most people don't know much about boomslangs, and any green snake they call a green mamba. I have seen a couple dozen green mambas in my life and none have near that much black on them.(Probably seen around 100 boomslangs) Also the eye of the snake in your photo is large compared to the size of the head which is a characteristic of the boomslang, not the green mamba.

Both boomslangs and green mambas are arboreal. The boomslang is more terrestrial and finds itself in a setting like the one in your photo much more often than a green mamba.

Also look at the area of distribution for both snakes. Green mambas only occupy a small strip along the east coast of RSA. They are no where close to warthog safaris in Ellisras. Boomslangs occupy most areas of sub Saharan Africa.

Neat photo. Thanks for posting it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomslang

Boomslang photo

Boomslang area of distribution

5749778.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_green_mamba

Green Mamba

Green Mamba area of distribution

both of those snakes are absolutely beautiful. I would love to get to see them in person.

92367026_2600054893615950_4849359325220569088_n.jpg

both of those snakes are absolutely beautiful. I would love to get to see them in person.

Hopefully you will one day!

Though not as experienced as Wheels, I’ve seen mamba and boomslang while there—glad I saw them as far away as I did.

12 gauge
Ok so while I do like snakes, I would absolutely sh$t myself and likely die from a heart attack if I opened the door to that.

My friend from work took off Friday to do some social distancing by kayak fishing. About midday I got the attached picture.
View attachment 338607

I commented the river was really rolling. He texted me back and asked if I had seen the snake? Looked closer.
View attachment 338608
I replied “FK No! I guess I’d be dead”

Eastern diamondback rattler. I HATE snakes!!!!!

But I like fishing! He obviously dodged the snake.
View attachment 338610
Isn't that a water moccasin? Either way, it'd get my attention.

I have a friend who is terrified of snakes. He saw one while mowing his yard one day, and hasn’t mowed the lawn since without his 20 gauge in his lap.

I almost got it from one of these in the Niassa Reserve in northern Moz in 2013. We we’re driving off road zig zagging between trees. I was sitting on the bench seat in the back of the Cruiser with the trackers. I ducked down to avoid an oncoming branch while the two trackers leaned away from the branch and spotted a snake on the branch and began screaming, “Cobra, cobra, cobra!” The PH heard the yelling and thought we had spotted an animal so he stopped the Cruiser directly under the branch! I froze and yelled, “Snake, snake, go, go!” So he let the clutch out and drove away a bit and then stopped while we all look back at the branch. The PH said it was a boomslang. The trackers said it had it’s mouth wide open just inches above my neck when we stopped and was, “Very angry.”

I had a couple extra drinks that night around the fire! The wife didn’t go out the next day.

I almost got it from one of these in the Niassa Reserve in northern Moz in 2013. We we’re driving off road zig zagging between trees. I was sitting on the bench seat in the back of the Cruiser with the trackers. I ducked down to avoid an oncoming branch while the two trackers leaned away from the branch and spotted a snake on the branch and began screaming, “Cobra, cobra, cobra!” The PH heard the yelling and thought we had spotted an animal so he stopped the Cruiser directly under the branch! I froze and yelled, “Snake, snake, go, go!” So he let the clutch out and drove away a bit and then stopped while we all look back at the branch. The PH said it was a boomslang. The trackers said it had it’s mouth wide open just inches above my neck when we stopped and was, “Very angry.”

I had a couple extra drinks that night around the fire! The wife didn’t go out the next day.

Ah it's at those moments you know your alive!!!
And you lived to tell the story to break up the domestic dullness that we're living in now.
Thank you for sharing the story

91873394_242678407116530_4469161364115423232_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowlimitless

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross