Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NAHC Life Member, DU, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA-CA,NV,UT, AFRICA-NAMIBIA
Let me start by saying that this was my first African hunt and I cannot compare this hunt to any other from Africa. This being said, I don't believe I could have had a better time for my first time in Africa. I hunted in Namibia at Ozondjahe Safaris for 10 days hunting plains game with my bow from September 17th through the 28th. I will start with the lodge and employees of Ozondjahe. The lodge was very well up kept and extremely comfortable. I was the only hunter at the lodge while I was there and the bungalow that I stayed in was very nice. As for the employees, every one that worked at the lodge was extremely friendly and always made every attempt to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. The service in my opinion is A-1. The food was fantastic and the variety was more than satisfactory. I tried all types of game, Impala, Wildebeest, Eland, Gemsbok, etc. and enjoyed it all. The manager at the lodge Maureen is very helpful (especially when my bow did not arrive when I did). The PH that I hunted with, Francois Robberts was fantastic and could spot game through the brush that I could not even see and he definitely knew what was a trophy and what was not when it came to judging trophy quality. I hunted for 10 days and was looking for Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Warthog, Plains Zebra and Baboon. On the very first day out, a nice Kudu bull approximately 51-53 inch was spotted in the brush and my bow had not arrived yet. Francois gave me the option to take him with his rifle and with 9 days left I decided to wait for my bow as that is how I wanted to hunt. Well, I guess I should have taken him because I only saw 1 more Kudu that was trophy quality during the next 9 days and he was just not in range. I did not see a lot of Kudu on the property which is 72000 acres, not saying they are not there, just did not see an awful lot of them but the couple of bulls that I did see were in my opinion nice trophies. There were plenty of Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Impalas, Plains Zebra and Warthogs though. Those species are in abundance and a hunter should have no problem tagging them although you have to be patient for a trophy Blue Wildebeest. I did not see a lot of Red Hartebeests and did not see them until I was 7 days into the hunting. Out of the 8 total that I saw I was lucky enough to get the only Bull that I saw and he did manage to get me a Silver medal from NAPHA. The Gemsbok are everywhere and I saw trophy quality Gemsboks every day as with the Impalas. Among the other species I saw were Eland, Black Wildebeest (only saw 4-5 the whole time there), Steenbok, Damara Dik-Dik and Ostrich. For the trophies that I did manage to take, the Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Impala and Warthog all took Gold medals from NAPHA. I did not participate in any extra activities although there is plenty of them to participate in such as day trips to various parks and sightseeing adventures. I did go to the Pera Nuau Pre-Primary School and took an SCI blue bag full of needed items for the 3-6 year old children in Otjiwarongo on my last day there and it was one of my personal highlights of the trip and would recommend any hunter going there to do this. The happiness and look on their face was very rewarding and when I go back next time I will take 2 bags. The only thing that could use improvement would be to change up the breakfast once in a while at the lodge. Same thing every morning, eggs, bacon and toast. Not that I do not enjoy that but differences are nice sometimes. I would definitely recommend Ozondjahe Safaris to someone and I plan on going back as I still want that Kudu and would like to get a nice Eland bull also. :cool:

untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffb

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Finally Made It to AFrica

Well, I finally made the trip to Africa, I hunted in Namibia at Ozondjahe Safaris and thought I would share some photos of the animals taken with my bow.
IMG_0044_Fixed.JPG

My Impala took a Gold Medal from NAPHA
IMG_0019.JPG

My Warthog took a Gold medal from NAPHA
IMG_0005.JPG

My Blue Wildebeest took a Gold medal from NAPHA
IMG_0081a_Fixed.JPG

My Gemsbok took a Gold medal from NAPHA
IMG_0046.JPG

My Red Hartebeest took a Silver medal from NAPHA, missed to Gold by a centimeter
IMG_0041_Fixed.JPG

I was very satisfied with this beautiful Plains Zebra
IMG_0024a.JPG

Just had to have a Baboon. Will be doing a 1/2 body mount with arms and open mouth coming through some brush, should be pretty scary looking.

kathy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Very good trophies, glad you had a great first experience .
Now when are you going back ? Forrest

Jfet

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain

jeffb

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Very good trophies, glad you had a great first experience .
Now when are you going back ? Forrest
Hopefully in about a year and a half. Also looking into a South African hunt for the Springbok Slam

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Congratulations.

Who's the Ridgeback in the Gemsbok picture??

Last edited:

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Nice trophies sir! Thank you for the report! Are you going back? Start planning now!

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Great job!!

How did that silver get mixed in there???! :A No1::A No1::A No1::A No1::A No2:

And @CAustin is right. Stat planning the return trip now.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Nice animals, love that warthog!

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Very nice trophies Jeff, congratulations! Did you take the baboon with your bow too?

jeffb

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Congratulations.

Who is the Ridgeback in the Gemsbok picture??
His name is Bobby and he belongs to Francois. About a year old, his dog Max, a Jack Russell is teaching Bobby the ropes. Great dog

jeffb

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Nice animals, love that warthog!
Out of the animals I took, I really enjoy the Warthog the most. I just have a craving for pig hunting anyway:cool:

jeffb

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Great job!!

How did that silver get mixed in there???! :A No1::A No1::A No1::A No1::A No2:

And @CAustin is right. Stat planning the return trip now.
Just missed the Gold by a centimeter and it was the only Bull I saw, there will be more, yes there will be:cool:

jeffb

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Nice trophies sir! Thank you for the report! Are you going back? Start planning now!
Absolutely and I started planning right after I arrived back home. Also looking at South Africa for a Springbok Slam:cool:

Petrus Geldenhuys

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia
Well Done! Looks like you had a very successful hunt. Thanks fro sharing

bluey

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
Hunted
australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
good stuff jeffb , nice trophies ,mate.....
good luck with your return trip ,
look foreward to reading all about it
thanks for taking us along for the ride ........................

welcome to the leftie bow hunters clan ........

Buff-Buster

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
Hunted
Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
Very nice trophies! Glad you had a great trip. And as has already been said......begin the planning for the next trip!!!

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Congrats on a great hunt! You're like me...have to go back a second time to get a kudu!!!

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Congratulations on your hunt.

Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MathewHawt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.