Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NAHC Life Member, DU, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA-CA,NV,UT, AFRICA-NAMIBIA
Let me start by saying that this was my first African hunt and I cannot compare this hunt to any other from Africa. This being said, I don't believe I could have had a better time for my first time in Africa. I hunted in Namibia at Ozondjahe Safaris for 10 days hunting plains game with my bow from September 17th through the 28th. I will start with the lodge and employees of Ozondjahe. The lodge was very well up kept and extremely comfortable. I was the only hunter at the lodge while I was there and the bungalow that I stayed in was very nice. As for the employees, every one that worked at the lodge was extremely friendly and always made every attempt to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. The service in my opinion is A-1. The food was fantastic and the variety was more than satisfactory. I tried all types of game, Impala, Wildebeest, Eland, Gemsbok, etc. and enjoyed it all. The manager at the lodge Maureen is very helpful (especially when my bow did not arrive when I did). The PH that I hunted with, Francois Robberts was fantastic and could spot game through the brush that I could not even see and he definitely knew what was a trophy and what was not when it came to judging trophy quality. I hunted for 10 days and was looking for Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Warthog, Plains Zebra and Baboon. On the very first day out, a nice Kudu bull approximately 51-53 inch was spotted in the brush and my bow had not arrived yet. Francois gave me the option to take him with his rifle and with 9 days left I decided to wait for my bow as that is how I wanted to hunt. Well, I guess I should have taken him because I only saw 1 more Kudu that was trophy quality during the next 9 days and he was just not in range. I did not see a lot of Kudu on the property which is 72000 acres, not saying they are not there, just did not see an awful lot of them but the couple of bulls that I did see were in my opinion nice trophies. There were plenty of Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Impalas, Plains Zebra and Warthogs though. Those species are in abundance and a hunter should have no problem tagging them although you have to be patient for a trophy Blue Wildebeest. I did not see a lot of Red Hartebeests and did not see them until I was 7 days into the hunting. Out of the 8 total that I saw I was lucky enough to get the only Bull that I saw and he did manage to get me a Silver medal from NAPHA. The Gemsbok are everywhere and I saw trophy quality Gemsboks every day as with the Impalas. Among the other species I saw were Eland, Black Wildebeest (only saw 4-5 the whole time there), Steenbok, Damara Dik-Dik and Ostrich. For the trophies that I did manage to take, the Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Impala and Warthog all took Gold medals from NAPHA. I did not participate in any extra activities although there is plenty of them to participate in such as day trips to various parks and sightseeing adventures. I did go to the Pera Nuau Pre-Primary School and took an SCI blue bag full of needed items for the 3-6 year old children in Otjiwarongo on my last day there and it was one of my personal highlights of the trip and would recommend any hunter going there to do this. The happiness and look on their face was very rewarding and when I go back next time I will take 2 bags. The only thing that could use improvement would be to change up the breakfast once in a while at the lodge. Same thing every morning, eggs, bacon and toast. Not that I do not enjoy that but differences are nice sometimes. I would definitely recommend Ozondjahe Safaris to someone and I plan on going back as I still want that Kudu and would like to get a nice Eland bull also. :cool:

untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally Made It to AFrica

Well, I finally made the trip to Africa, I hunted in Namibia at Ozondjahe Safaris and thought I would share some photos of the animals taken with my bow.
IMG_0044_Fixed.JPG

My Impala took a Gold Medal from NAPHA
IMG_0019.JPG

My Warthog took a Gold medal from NAPHA
IMG_0005.JPG

My Blue Wildebeest took a Gold medal from NAPHA
IMG_0081a_Fixed.JPG

My Gemsbok took a Gold medal from NAPHA
IMG_0046.JPG

My Red Hartebeest took a Silver medal from NAPHA, missed to Gold by a centimeter
IMG_0041_Fixed.JPG

I was very satisfied with this beautiful Plains Zebra
IMG_0024a.JPG

Just had to have a Baboon. Will be doing a 1/2 body mount with arms and open mouth coming through some brush, should be pretty scary looking.

Very good trophies, glad you had a great first experience .
Now when are you going back ? Forrest

Very good trophies, glad you had a great first experience .
Now when are you going back ? Forrest
Hopefully in about a year and a half. Also looking into a South African hunt for the Springbok Slam

Congratulations.

Who's the Ridgeback in the Gemsbok picture??

Last edited:
Nice trophies sir! Thank you for the report! Are you going back? Start planning now!

Great job!!

How did that silver get mixed in there???! :A No1::A No1::A No1::A No1::A No2:

And @CAustin is right. Stat planning the return trip now.

Nice animals, love that warthog!

Very nice trophies Jeff, congratulations! Did you take the baboon with your bow too?

Congratulations.

Who is the Ridgeback in the Gemsbok picture??
His name is Bobby and he belongs to Francois. About a year old, his dog Max, a Jack Russell is teaching Bobby the ropes. Great dog

Nice animals, love that warthog!
Out of the animals I took, I really enjoy the Warthog the most. I just have a craving for pig hunting anyway:cool:

Great job!!

How did that silver get mixed in there???! :A No1::A No1::A No1::A No1::A No2:

And @CAustin is right. Stat planning the return trip now.
Just missed the Gold by a centimeter and it was the only Bull I saw, there will be more, yes there will be:cool:

Nice trophies sir! Thank you for the report! Are you going back? Start planning now!
Absolutely and I started planning right after I arrived back home. Also looking at South Africa for a Springbok Slam:cool:

Well Done! Looks like you had a very successful hunt. Thanks fro sharing

good stuff jeffb , nice trophies ,mate.....
good luck with your return trip ,
look foreward to reading all about it
thanks for taking us along for the ride ........................

welcome to the leftie bow hunters clan ........

Very nice trophies! Glad you had a great trip. And as has already been said......begin the planning for the next trip!!!

Congrats on a great hunt! You're like me...have to go back a second time to get a kudu!!!

Congratulations on your hunt.

Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilma6932

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg