Shotgun to a Double rifle? Possible?

Most likely will be one of Bailey Bradshaws rising blocks
News to me that Bailey is providing his actions to anyone. Takes a unique barrel design to work with the action as well. If you want a Bailey Bradshaw, have him build it. I have one in 7x65R and it is exquisite.

John Rigby & Co. has built at least 1 double barreled side by side rifle , which
was chambered in 5.6x52 mm Rimmed , that came along with a spare set of barrels chambered in 28 Bore ( both barrels were improved modified choke . ) An English client of mine used to own that rifle , and he would bring it to Nagpur for hunting Kakar deer ( with the 5.6x52 mm Rimmed calibre rifle barrels )
and driven dove shoots ( with the 28 Bore shot gun barrels ) .
Whether this gun was a double barreled rifle , with a spare set of shot gun barrels
OR a double barreled shot gun , with a spare set of rifle barrels... I cannot say .

Thank you major khan your insight is alway welcomed I believe from my reading the 5.6x52 is equivalent to a savage .22 high power?.
Why yes , Skinnersblade. The 5.6x52 mm Rimmed IS the .22 Savage Hi Power .
However , on the barrels of that double barrelled rifle , the following was engraved , " 5.6x52 mm R regulated for the 70 grain Winchester cartridge . "

I have absolutely no intention of butchering her! And would probably visit violance upon anyone who did. That said if it could be done for a reasonable amount I would consider commissioning a set of barrels.

Regardless of the monetary value the family value to me is priceless.

.303 would be a perfect caliber for here but not at the expense of my shotgun barrels.
.303 pressures would destroy that action in short order even if a set of barrels could be made to fit it. That little gun is designed to shoot 2.5 inch shells with a max load of 7/8 ounces and a max chamber pressure of around 12,000 PSI. A .303 generates in excess of 50,000 PSI. Sure, much of that pressure is contained by the chambers, but enormous rear and upward force is generated against the action. A 28 bore game gun is not designed for that sort of beating. Neither are shotgun actions generally, and why I would have no desire for such a conversion of any caliber.

Why yes , Skinnersblade. The 5.6x52 mm Rimmed IS the .22 Savage Hi Power .
However , on the barrels of that double barrelled rifle , the following was engraved , " 5.6x52 mm R regulated for the 70 grain Winchester cartridge . "

Much the same as .275 and 7x57 have English and European designations.

Good evening gents I have always been fascinated by double rifles. My first guns were doubles albeit shotguns. That got me thinking father bought me a double 28 when i was a boy. Is it possible to commission a set of rifle barrels for a shotgun? I would not wish to damage the shotgun in any was as it was my first gun and I still use it regularly.

The shotgun was made by a firm I've been unable to locate any information on. It's stamped Llyods and Lords of Birmingham England. It's a hamerless boxlock with what I'm told is a greener style cross bolt.

Would it be possible to have a set of rifle barrels built and regulated for it? If so what caliber would be reasonable for that action and whom is capable and reliable to take on such a job.

I'm unable to post pictures from home my internet connection isn't strong enough , the next time I venture to town I will post pictures.
Skinnersblade
At one stage Ruger was offered a shotgun double rifle combination but I can't remember much about it.
By the sound of it the 28 gauge frame is small and not made by a reputable well known maker so it would have to be a low powered cartridge for conversion. The cost of having the barrels made and regulated would be astronomical.
Just look for a Ruger conversion or save up for a double.
Cheers mate Bob

yes bob,
a very expensive exercise for limited application.
the 405 loaded purely with black powder would likely be safe, but again too limited for the dollar.
bruce.

I wouldn’t butcher an heirloom British 28. BUT if I could commission a set of barrels for it in something like 25-20 or something like that it would be pretty neat. If money were no object, of course. Better still might be to commission someone to make 28 gauge inserts in 25-20 or the like.
Jeffery
Full length inserts in 28 bore would make it one heavy little gun. Even 20 inch inserts would upset the fine balances of the little gun.
Cheers mate Bob

I've given up on this dream bob I wouldn't dare risk damaging my 28 , father gave it to me as a boy.
Skinnersblade
I wouldn't either. Dad might not be well but I could imagine him giving you curry or a good bitch slapping if you did wreck it.
An option might be to see if you can get slugs for it at cast some to suit it.
In my old 410 shotgun I used to load 38 cal projectiles either 158 grain lead or 125 grain hollow points. Pretty reasonable out to 50 yards 2 to 3 inch groups. Projectiles with the wad was a firm fit thru the barrel but not overly tight. You could push it thru the muzzle with a firm push with a pies of Dowell.
Cheers mate Bob

Skinnersblade
I wouldn't either. Dad might not be well but I could imagine him giving you curry or a good bitch slapping if you did wreck it.
In my old 410 shotgun I used to load 38 cal projectiles either 158 grain lead or 125 grain hollow points. Pretty reasonable out to 50 yards 2 to 3 inch groups. Projectiles with the wad was a firm fit thru the barrel but not overly tight. You could push it thru the muzzle with a firm push with a pies of Dowell.
Cheers mate Bob

There's a story posted under a thread started by I believe longwalker where I described using homemade slugs through my 28. Father was less than impressed over that!

Skinnersblade
Cheers mate Bob
For God's sake guys, it is a 28 bore English bird gun! It was created for an expert shot to use on grouse or woodcock (or had it been ordered by a Southerner, for gentleman Bob.). Why ever use it with slugs or anything else other than loads for which it was designed and proofed? If a maker thought his gun could handle slugs of any form it was marked for "ball". Before you do anything ridiculous with that gun, please let me make you an offer so you can buy a Mossberg.

Last edited:
For God's sake guys, it is a 28 bore English bird gun! Why destroy it with slugs are anything else than loads for which it was designed an proofed. If a maker thought his gun could handle slugs of any form it was marked for "ball". Before you do anything ridiculous with that gun, please let me make you an offer so you can buy a Mossberg.

I have no intention of fireing balls through it again , I will admit to doing so before I knew the risks involved or that value of the gun. Father straightened me out on that with the back of his hand. It is very much not for sale and at this point the only way I plan to relinquish ownership is if I am lucky enough to father a son to pass it on to.

In the follies of youth I loaded 50 cal musket balls in imperial shotgun shells and then waxed them in place, although dangerous to myself and the gun I did successfully take a deer that way. This wisdom on how to do this was learned from an uncle who single handedly destroyed the value of several cases of smles believing he could sporterize them with a shingle plane , draw knife and a sand paper.

This is a .450/400 2 3/8" NE, aka 10,3x60R, made from a Simson Suhl 16 gauge SxS shotgun.

DSC04146.JPG

The job was done by Jens Antes, Nauheim, Germany, an expierenced master gunsmith.

Converting a shotgun into a double rifle is not an easy job and under no circumstances should be done by tree shade gunsmith.

Definitely, it is not enough to read a book about this, whatever a book it is.

Only a few types of shotguns in best condition can be converted.

Keep a shotgun as what it was inteded to be.

Best way is, save your money and buy a good double from a well known manufacturer, you name it.

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!