Shotgun to a Double rifle? Possible?

I have absolutely no intention of butchering her! And would probably visit violance upon anyone who did. That said if it could be done for a reasonable amount I would consider commissioning a set of barrels.

Regardless of the monetary value the family value to me is priceless.

.303 would be a perfect caliber for here but not at the expense of my shotgun barrels.

"28 ga and 12 ga are worlds apart.." AMEN!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 10.23.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 10.23.58 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 10.24.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 10.24.00 AM.png
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 111
It can be done. Google will find you several sites where people have done it with 12 ga shotguns. maybe a low pressure cartridge like a revolver cartridge- they are also rimmed - maybe 45 long colt ? With your idea of commissioning a complete set of barrels, there is not danger of a gunsmith 'butchering' your shotgun. It is just a matter of whether the recoil and pressures will damage your action or stock. i am sure you can google shotgun pressures and recoil energies as well as something like a 45 colt. Maybe look at some of the subsonic AR rounds in 300 blackout etc. There are quite a few calibres designed for AR platform that must be low pressure and low recoil which would fit your plan perfectly.

Good morning. Yes it can be done, Ellis brown wrote a complete book and does that type of work. The other gunsmith that does similar work is Arron Little. Your little 28 Ga is a magic wand of the upland game shotgun. And with a family heirloom status take her to the field and enjoy shooting it. I briefly had the 20ga double rifle up for sale but wisely pulled it back, it was a 12ga shotgun to start with and was converted by the same gentleman that did @crs 405. I inquired a couple years ago about having a set of barrels made from scratch in a different calibre to fit the same frame and while it can be done the price tag is in the 7-10K range and if you have Westley Richards like @Red Leg mentioned you are 20K+. If you really want something like this done I would recommend as the last option (Option 3) buy a good quality double shotgun (TALK WITH ELLIS or ARRON on what is a good action to convert using the barrels as a momoblock). 1, Choice: I looked on Guns International in the English Double rifle listing and there are a number of BPE double in the 6-10K range that would handle like a fine upland shotgun and dispatch those NE Canada deer and black bear all day long. 2nd option. For under the same 6-10K price range you can find Chapuis, Merkel, Hyem, Rizzini, models in up to 9.3x74 and have factory ammo and a fine double to hunt with and a mate to your fine 28. You have been given some wise counsel by @Red Leg and @crs.

Particularly not a 28 bore English game gun.

Agreed, but in my book any 28ga would fall in that bracket.....

Maybe a petite 22 Hornet but the cost would not justify the effort....

Skinnersblade, you may want to look up Nick Makinson. He may have retired by now, but he was one of the best in the world at converting shotguns to double rifles. One of the reasons that Browning 20 ga. SxS shotguns hardly ever show up "used" on the Canadian market is that Nick converted many into African game capable double rifles. He has done work for me on several guns and is very skilled. If he is not doing the work any more, he may be able to coach you on all the practical details of such a project. http://www.nickmakinson.com

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.05.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.05.28 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
our neighbour hunter has made one.
A FN shotgun o/u 12/70 in a . 450 NE
He tolde me ,that a FN is strong enough for that and .450 is maximum.
Possible I get some pictures.
In Bavaria we are quarantined and so we have time for that :)

Skinnersblade, you may want to look up Nick Makinson. He may have retired by now, but he was one of the best in the world at converting shotguns to double rifles. One of the reasons that Browning 20 ga. SxS shotguns hardly ever show up "used" on the Canadian market is that Nick converted many into African game capable double rifles. He has done work for me on several guns and is very skilled. If he is not doing the work any more, he may be able to coach you on all the practical details of such a project. http://www.nickmakinson.com

Thank you @Longwalker i will reach out to him and inquire further.

And buy and read the book by W Ellis Brown.

Aaron Little is a gun maker of quality and a pleasant fellow with which to deal.
He is located in East Texas and just over one hours drive from my place.

I'm going to look into that book @crs I'm unsure if I will be able to get my bookstore to order it with the current states of world affairs. I'm not even sure how long the will continue to be open.

Call them up and order direct like I did.

Amazon also carries it.

I will second the recommendation of Aaron Little. He has built one double conversion for me in 450 NE and now is building another in 450-400. I will be using him for a single shot as well after my double is finished.

I will second the recommendation of Aaron Little. He has built one double conversion for me in 450 NE and now is building another in 450-400. I will be using him for a single shot as well after my double is finished.
What action are you using for your single shot build?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg