Shortening a ported double rifle to make nonported?

Matt, It seems that the gunmakers in Ferlach Germany do this. There is a 470 NE on Morris Hallowell's website made by Johan Fanzoj, and the one I was speaking of was made by Ludwig Barovnik also from Ferlach. They have 4 circular ports on the side and 4 on top. I have had Morris's 470 in hand, it is a solid and well made piece with really nice wood. http://www.hallowellco.com/johan_fanzoj 470NE.htm

Rick
OMG - just looked at that abomination. I would bet really good money that no "best" sidelock double rifle (which this otherwise is) ever left Ferlach with that sort of hideous work done to it. You can even see where the butcher's drill bit marks remain on the edges of the holes. Almost guarantee it was done by some idiot shade tree gunsmith in the US who should never have been allowed to own and operate a drill press. Hallowell couldn't even bring themselves to mention it in the write-up. Though, to their credit, they show clear pictures of the damage.

Last edited:
OMG - just looked at that abomination. I would bet really good money that no "best" sidelock double rifle (which this otherwise is) ever left Ferlach with that sort of hideous work done to it. You can even see where the butcher's drill bit marks remain on the edges of the holes. Almost guarantee it was done by some idiot shade tree gunsmith in the US who should never have been allowed to own and operate a drill press.

thats the one i was talking about.....

Do you guys offer advice on medical issues too?

Yes Clayton, at least I do anyway (being the world's smartest security guard and all .....)

So, whatever is ailing you, including gunshot wounds, leopard maulings and broken bones, just split a habanero pepper and vigorously rub the juicy side of each half onto the affected area.
This is particularly effective in treating eye fatigue.

Keep well,
Velo Dog.

Yes Clayton, at least I do anyway (being the world's smartest security guard and all .....)

So, whatever is ailing you, including gunshot wounds, leopard maulings and broken bones, just split a habanero pepper and vigorously rub the juicy side of each half onto the affected area.

Keep well,
Velo Dog.

or any ailments south of the equator.........;).....:E Crying:......:E Lol:

This has the feel of someone buying more gun then they could handle and instead of spending time learning how to, let's put a quasi rifle brake on it. When that didn't work, they send it out for sale. I know very little about DR's and their values from maker to maker, but I can't imagine how this one is worth $30K. Maybe that's a huge discount for this maker's products?

Keep well,
Velo Dog.

Have you volunteered to apply this treatment to your friends down at the bus depot? :D

I'm not a practicing drunk anymore, but given the choice of Cod Liver Oil or a good Scotch, well ... I could backslide.

For the same reason we shoot a lot. You want to be good at it you need to do it regularly, daily. When I was young, open a fifth and throw the top away. You won't need it again.

Have you volunteered to apply this treatment to your friends down at the bus depot? :D

Not lately, but only because I do not work that area in my current assignment.
However, before I retired from The Police Department, I worked foot patrol in downtown Anchorage, for about 10 or 11 years (from about age 29ish, to about age 40ish).
More than one or two of those resistant to evolution thugs loitering around the downtown/main Bus Station, regretted taking a poke at me.
I was young and strong and agile then, 6 foot and 180 pounds of twistin blue steel in those good old days, long gone now.
The street hoodlums nick-named me "Popeye" and I was proud of that.
I'm still about 6 foot though, but unfortunately that is now my width as well as my height these days.
Now, I'm just another old fat guy, at this stage my nick-name could be "Wimpy" - heh, heh.

Last edited:
A gunmaker with true double gun skills could shorten that rifle. I can think of exactly two in this country with whom I would trust that work. HOWEVER, the ribs would have to be relaid. the sights repositioned and alligned, and the rifle would have to be re-regulated. That will be a very, very expensive project. I assume we are not talking about a Holland& Holland Royal, so you need to do the math to see if the resulting investment - acquisition plus alteration - is within the resulting value of the rifle.

I like what @Red Leg said as he didn't say "no, it sucks and it's impossible". Instead he said there are two people that can do it in NA. I'll agree. Ken Owen and JJ Peradou have the necessary skills to do it. They probably won't do it. The costs to do it would be prohibitive.

So the shorter answer is there is a special place in hell for the person that drilled holes in that double rifle and its neigh impossible to cut it down to 24-25" and get it to regulate and not look like a POS when its done. And the molestation that must occur and the costs going in would exceed the value of the rifle. Ridiculous, considering a .375HH DR needs no muzzle break whatsoever to make it a pleasant recoil.

This has the feel of someone buying more gun then they could handle and instead of spending time learning how to, let's put a quasi rifle brake on it. When that didn't work, they send it out for sale. I know very little about DR's and their values from maker to maker, but I can't imagine how this one is worth $30K. Maybe that's a huge discount for this maker's products?
Like Phil, don't know much, but I know you don't do this to a DR, even a cheap $5000 one!!!
I don't even like seeing it done to a nice bolt gun!

Last edited:
.... and a soldering iron to fill in all those ugly gaps around the rib face. What could go wrong?
To quote rookhawk...."there is a special place in hell"!

I don't own a double.. or even have an interest in owning a double... and this still makes me ill...

Kinda like letting an 8 year old scribble on an original Rembrandt with a sharpie...

Down under a few years ago, I saw a vintage double somebody had ported. Sad. The work you asked about can be done, but expensive--the above posts are correct. I would add that if the rib is a swamped rib it will have to be cut far back to keep the front sight in correct place. When all is said and done, it may be worth finding another double as a vintage double will have its value reduced by the procedures (including the porting) and it would not be cost effective in a new double.
Cal

I might work and then again in might not. Either way its NOT as simple as just hacking off the front end.

OR...you could sell it and buy one you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois