Shooting the .600 Nitro Express

A .460 Weatherby sure is a lot cheaper if you just absolutely, positively, have to have 7,500 foot/pounds of muzzle energy!

A bit of hype here. Only two vintage rifles (rumor of a third) were made for the 2050 fps load or 120 grains of cordite. Most .600s were made for 100 grains of cordite and 1850 fps and some were for 110 grains for 1950 fps (such as my John Wilkes). Recoil is not that bad as the rifle's weight soaks up much of the kick.

A bit of hype here. Only two vintage rifles (rumor of a third) were made for the 2050 fps load or 120 grains of cordite. Most .600s were made for 100 grains of cordite and 1850 fps and some were for 110 grains for 1950 fps (such as my John Wilkes). Recoil is not that bad as the rifle's weight soaks up much of the kick.
Very educational. Mr Mark Sullivan owns a .600 Nitro Express made by Marcel Thys in Belgium, which is regulated for 900Gr bullets at 2000 fps . Would you happen to know if the gentleman had the rifle regulated for a custom hand load ?

This is a nice little piece of information for every vintage big bore enthusiast!

Having fired both a .600 Nitro Express and a .460 Weatherby Magnum, I'll take the .600 Nitro Express any day.
@Hunter-Habib
I have never fired a 600 Nitro but I was more than happy to hand a 460 Weatherby back after 3 shots.
It was tolerable for the 1st shot but the other 2 were not something I don't want to experience again.
Not fun Narrelle.
Bob

Very educational. Mr Mark Sullivan owns a .600 Nitro Express made by Marcel Thys in Belgium, which is regulated for 900Gr bullets at 2000 fps . Would you happen to know if the gentleman had the rifle regulated for a custom hand load ?
I hunted Tanzania in 2006 and upon arrival to Camp briefly met Mark Sullivan - as he was departing w/his client after having hunted out of the same Camp the prior week. It was later relayed to me that during the previous week Mark noticed another hunter had a double .470 NE and complimented him “that’s a nice gun - for a Woman”.

I shot a 600 NE once

It was made for someone a foot taller than me and 100lb heavier

I couldn’t even hold onto it !

Never again!

I shot a .600 double weighing 13,2 pounds...heavy recoil for sure but not so fast.. .500 Jeffery is worse..

I shot modern Kynoch, equivalent to the 110 grain cordite load..

Calm down, mastering such weapons has nothing to do with size and weight, on the contrary. I am 175cm tall, weigh 65kg and can handle weapons like a DR 600 Nitro Express without problems.
@grand veneur.
Just look at videos of Connie Brooke's shooting a 460 off the bench. She would be lucky to weigh 120 with a pocket full of sinkers yet she has no problems with the 460.
Bob

Thread necromancy at work here!

I wasn't fond of the 600 NE I was able to shoot. It was too heavy to shoulder properly and despite it's weight the recoil was uncomfortable. However, the recoil was likely a case of the gun simply not fitting me properly as I've fired much bigger guns without issue.

-Matt

Thread necromancy at work here!

I wasn't fond of the 600 NE I was able to shoot. It was too heavy to shoulder properly and despite it's weight the recoil was uncomfortable. However, the recoil was likely a case of the gun simply not fitting me properly as I've fired much bigger guns without issue.

-Matt
@matt85
Bigger than the 600NE. WOW.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross