Shooting sticks, 2 or 3 legs?

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
sorry if this has been done as going to make shooting sticks dowel, but decided to get some telescopic off eBay as I want to practice before I travel,

Do people like the 2 leg or 3 leg better? Why?

2 leg is cheaper same brand and function . 3 would be stable I’ve seen mono pods and a 4 leg version that has 2 points to the ground. On you tube it seemed stable and functional but price jumps a lot too

I think on you tube African PH are using tripod. When someone is carrying it and setting up that works well.

I’m not sure if I would use it in the field but if I do carrying the 2 leg is lighter and quicker to deploy. There are times it would work.

If I were practice only the 3 makes sense but I’m watching budget and looking for suggestions, opinions etc spark discussion

I made a tripod type from leftover bamboo from a fence I built. Very easy. I have hunted with them many times since. I like the stability three legs provides.

The 4 leg 2 point systems are next level stable. I didn't want to believe it until I tried it. The make I bought is stable sticks, they are pricey but worth it in my opinion. I used a 3 legged design before.

I would find out which your outfitter has so you are most familiar with it.
I’ve shot over 200 yards with both and as long as you practice a lot, either will work. However, in my experience no one in Africa uses the two leg. They set them up and move out of your way. They preset the height for you as well.
JMO&E

On our safari we took our own set of BogPod Tripod (screw lock type) and were glad we did.
It's what we had been using for practice at the range and our PH was happy we came prepared.
He had his own set made from wood and we tried them out, but they were not as stable as the ones we brought.

I have heard good things of African Sporting Creations sticks and I'm looking into a set of those as well for our next trip.

2 leg sticks get my vote because for me at least, the slightest movement necessary on my part automatically translate to the sticks, no intentional adjusting the sticks.

I like three legs!

I own a set of break down two legged sticks for myself, by Bog Pod I think. I prefer them, especially for kneeling shots. They're simple, lightweight and steady. I've also carried around a few sets of home made two-legged ones for years now. My first trips to Namibia the PH had two legged ones, but anymore, especially in South Africa I'd say three legged are more common and a good idea to get used to them before heading there.

Personally i prefer the two leg
Mainly because to adjust you point of aim you just move slightly back or forward

3 legged seem better
For most clients though

Practice and practice moving yourself around to adjust your point of aim and not moving the sticks

Seems to me it comes down to speed vs stability.

I used a three leg in SA and there were a few times the sticks were too high or low and it took a few (2-5?) extra seconds to adjust. There are times that might cost you.

As mentioned above by @Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris, the two-leg are uber quick to adjust by shifting your weight or moving your feet just a bit.

JJ Perodeau, Sand Springs, Okla., has the 4 Stable Sticks available. 580-747-1805.

Define better.

The best thing to do is to shoot from a heavily made shooting bench or get proned out on a bi-pod for every shot. There really isn't any arguing this fact.

Unfortunately though neither of these options are practical so we compromise.

Two leg sticks are quicker to adjust and three legged sticks are more stable. Which one is "better" depends upon the situation.

I've used both and personally prefer the three leg sticks overall. Adjustments of height are slightly slower but not by much when practiced as it's a matter of moving the "one leg side" in or out with your off hand. They of course need to be set up properly in order to do this.

When we shoot, we use 3-leg sticks and put two of the legs to the front and one to the rear.
I set up with the sticks intentionally a bit low and push forward on the contact, dragging the back leg forward to raise the height.
With a little practice, this is quick and easy to do.

I like the Bogpod tripod at home and my PH uses a tripod. Once you get used to them they are fast and stable. A slight movement of one of the side legs and you're on. I tried the 4 legged and didn't like them. Lateral movement is very restricted because of the rear notch. I had to lift them clear of the ground, turn and reset them. With a tripod just a small step and they swivel. Easy to track an animal and you are always on target. I set them with one leg forward and two to the side. That prevents tripping over a leg to the rear when tracking sideways.

Not wanting to be that guy but anyway....

What about One Legged Sticks?

As an engineer & cnc machinist I've been thinking about machining my own from something a bit "more" than woods (an aerospace alloy), the idea came from the African Sporting Creations store online when I saw they have a 1 legged "PH" version.

I've never shot off a 1 legged stick but it got me thinking about maybe starting to and in time perfecting it and then just using the 1 legged stick for everything, seems a lot more swift than any other multi leg setup that I've shot off, could maybe make it telescopic for ease of mobility etc or just leave it fixed and as a Walking Staff/Spear when not shooting...

Point is when I saw the 1 legged stick it got me thinking...

No legs. This is what I’m using unless there is a natural rest. I hunt in bush and forest, distance very seldom more than 100 meters, often around 50 meters.

700B099A-ABCA-4FBC-A698-3B538AD11A70.jpeg
69FA09D9-DD23-4552-94C6-CAF3983B156C.jpeg

Not wanting to be that guy but anyway....

What about One Legged Sticks?

As an engineer & cnc machinist I've been thinking about machining my own from something a bit "more" than woods (an aerospace alloy), the idea came from the African Sporting Creations store online when I saw they have a 1 legged "PH" version.

I've never shot off a 1 legged stick but it got me thinking about maybe starting to and in time perfecting it and then just using the 1 legged stick for everything, seems a lot more swift than any other multi leg setup that I've shot off, could maybe make it telescopic for ease of mobility etc or just leave it fixed and as a Walking Staff/Spear when not shooting...

Point is when I saw the 1 legged stick it got me thinking...

My uncle was a deer culler in the 60's and they often used a hill stick that did double duty as a shooting rest when needed. The trick is not to try and hold it vertical but for a right handed shooter to have it angled about 8 to 12 inches from the right foot side toward the left shoulder side with the top leaning slightly back about 6-8 inches toward the shooter. This creates two triangle areas of light hold/pressure and is way more steady that is often imagined and very handy for inside 200 yds for deer sized game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg